• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Paint marker for lexan???

raolguio

I have tried a lot of permanent paint market, but they don't stick to the lexan. what paint marker do I need to use on lexan bodies?? I wan't to make some little details such as the grill, shadows, etc..

i havent seen a plastic paint paint pen before........but they used to make fillable paint pens.....you might be able to put pactra in one.......sounds funny but paper matches work suprisingly good as detailing brushes...paper end of course

I don't think there is one/ I may be wrong. Have you tried Sharpie? I have seen a lot of people use it for the door trim lines.

I have tried sharpie. If you try to paint a second cover in order to get the whole sector painted, this will remove the first cover. what you can do is paint if like the paint marker were an inkpad.

I know tamiya makes some polycarbonate paint markers, but it also makes two colors:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/polycarbonate_marker/kit88001.htm

Tamiya also makes other paint markers, but I'm not sure if they would remain sticked to the lexan body:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/paintmarker_gloss/kit89001.htm

Does anyone try one of those?

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand what your trying to do. There are people here that have the ability to make you paint masks so you can duplicate something or you can be taught the procedures on how to airbrushing it. In my signature is my website. I have a tutorial in how to airbrushing. Airbrushing 101. But whatever you are trying to do can be most likely done.

I know how to airbrush, but some times you need to paint just a little spot to simulate a nut, screw, a very small grill or whatever. So in this case it would easier and faster just to use a marker instead of masking the area and then airbrushing it.

Sorry, my english is not good :oops:

I'ved used elmers paint markers on lexan bodies with success. I did the paint markers first, then sprayed the rest of the body, zero problems.

My local walmart sells them in the arts/crafts section, they come in a ton of colors as well, and are fairly cheap.

Ok, let's say for instance you want to have a screen grill. You have a truck body with a formed grill area and instead of just blacking it in, you want it to look like a grill. First you mask off the area, then you get some modelers screen, cut out a piece that is large enough for the area of your grill, the you paint a fine mist of parma's tint around the edges, then you lay the screen over the grill area, paint 2-3 light coats of black at a consistent angle, remove screen once dry, back with silver or Chrome. Walah, you have a grill with depth.

If it has a Chevy emblem or Ford. Cut out the shape in masking tape and lay over grill area before painting to leave as a last resort. Say it'd a Chevy emblem that you want to have a 3d effect to it.light shines generaly from top right or left. Let's say its red. Paint red after your grill is done, the take a Sharp toothpick and etched 5him lines on the straight flats to the intended light. Back with white.3d!

I have never tried 3D paint effects. You have explained it very well, I will give it a try. However, I will keep searching for a paint marker that works in lexan to do little details.

I will also try the elmers paint markers that dirk379 mentioned.

For rivets, I use a regular silver sharpie. All you have to do is hold the pen straight up and point the tip down enough to put a dot down. Instant rivets. If you look at the stuff I have painted on my website, you'll see the effect.

To make bolts. Same way, but then you dip your toothpick into Testor's thinner. Just enough to make it a dab wet and turn the rivet into a nut with 6 sides.

Key locks are just a round cut piece of masking tape with an exacto knife, place it where you want the lock, paint the shell, remove the tape, paint that, let dry, scribe a slot with Sharp toothpick, back with black.

Painting a grill with slots... cut out fine lines of masking tape on a piece of scrap lexan, take the tip of your exacto knife to one end and toothpick to the other end. Carefully place each strip in place, tap along areas of mask to hold it to the body, paint with chrome, remove strips, back with black. If you want to assure you have straight lines and equal spaces, use a metal rule and a fine tip sharpie on the outside of the area to be painted.

Back