• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Paint Color testing

mikemcE

I wanna be Dave
What’s that gonna look like? I thought it was gonna be darker!!
Wow how did you get those different shades?

Well it’s not rocket [emoji573] science so let’s think.
When painting lexan, you shoot it backwards.
I shoot a lot of test strips to see what it’s going to look like in the sun on my rig.
When you trim your shell, save the scraps and leave the film on.
Then shoot your color/s and then back it . Black, white, gold, silver , copper are all fair game. Remembering that most lexan paints are translucent or transparent is the secret.
Hemistorm/ Chris teaches that no need to spray and look through from the INSIDE ....... as 1, that’s going to be thin, 2, you don’t have interior lights to show the color so look at the reflected color from outside the shell. Normally a couple/three thin coats will always work, followed by a couple of medium coats of your backer.
Use the scraps, and Mark them with a sharpie for ID.

I found a new paint in the Tamiya line, PS53... it’s Lame! I’ve shot a lot of PS58 Pearl clear(before the color) but this is a distinct gold prismatic sparkle, the Pearl is larger and more silver toned, much denser.
These test shots are Pearl, Lame, none, (middle to compare) PS7 Orange , backed in white. Info is on the unpainted edges
5e1cc697bc75100c47f04458899845e6.jpg

113d26dbba33624753d3393910632e79.jpg

b822f8dd44b893a7c77b1c6fc3c151c5.jpg

Camera didn’t pick out the difference, but it’s really easy in person

Hang up and Drive

Last edited:
Back