• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Oxy MAPP question

Mutant_Xj

Quarry Creeper
I have an Oxy, MAPP setup from Lowes and I'm on my fourth bottle of oxygen and still on my first bottle of MAPP. I'm building a tube chassis and I can't believe I'm going through oxygen that fast. Is that normal?

I did some Oxy acetalenne welding back in high school and I was setting the flame like that, with the little blue cone. I tried setting it up with less oxygen but it was never hot enough to melt the rod.

Is it normal to go through oxygen so quickly? And what do you do with the empty cans?

Thanks
D.

Sounds about right. You either spend your money on oxygen tanks, or on safety silv which has a lower melting point and can be used with MAPP gas only.

As far as the empty canisters, you could always start building a fort with them :D! Most landfills have an area for dropping off empty canisters of gas.

I usually get about 15-20 minutes out of an OXY canister when I'm brazing. I'm having trouble finding the canisters, none of the local stores carry them anymore, they all tell me that they are no longer available.

I'm in central PA just up north of you and I can find them at any hardware store. My problem is going to be finding a welding supply around to get a bigger bottle of Oxygen.

Does anyone know of an adaptor or a way to run a refillable tank with the bernzomatic kit? I went into Tractor supply they have the oxygen bottles, but I'd rather buy the bottle than the whole Oxy acetylene setup.

you may have to get a hose with one corrosive capable connector on the tank end and the other corrosive capable kind at the torch end...probably a welding supply company...find out what the fittings are then Google them,,,look for ones with barbed ends so they can be fitted to hose. the youll need a hose made for oxy,,that can handle corrosives and/or oxidizers.

Back