• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Opaque windows on 1:24 hard body

ebeowulf17

I'm attempting my first hard body, and have very little experience overall (I've only painted one 1:10 lexan body, and both of my rigs are RTRs, less than a year old.)

This is a 1:24 scale, 3D printed body, and between the small scale and my complete lack of modelling experience, I've decided to stick with solid, opaque windows rather than try to learn how to make and assemble clear windows (especially since that would just reveal the lack of interior, or compel me to also make an interior.) I imagine someday I'll want to try doing a painted interior and clear windows, but not this time around.

So the question is, what's the most appealing window treatment when you're not ready for clear windows? I've seen some small, cheap models that just have black stickers or black paint, sort of faking a super-dark window tint. They usually don't look that great to me.

Is there a different shade of grey, some trick with clear-coat layers, or some other thing I can do to make a nicer looking fake window when the plastic behind it is totally opaque?

Or is regular glossy black the go-to solution? Is there just no way to make this look better than that, other than actually making clear windows?

Black paint is the answer [or can be]. Paint it on the inside of the 'glass' and it doesn't matter if it is gloss or matte/flat
because the outside will be the shiny side of the plastic. It will be impervious to scrapes and chips as you go trailing or trialing...
unless you are trying for semi-opaque/tinted glass.

For simulating tint, there are translucent spray paints that the tuner crowd uses to darken headlights and tail lights
and hobby grade stuff also, both from every brand you can think of; Tamiya TS-71 Smoke Gray Tint, for example.

Back