• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Older Spektrum Transmitter & Newer Receivers

Hardcoretam

Quarry Creeper
Not so much a noob with RC's but a total noob on the aftermarket 2.4ghz stuff..

About 8 years ago i bought a Spektrum DX3S
Same as this one
DX3S 3-Channel DSM Surface Radio with Telemetry (SPM3140): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

It came with 2 receivers.

Shortly after i bought it, i fell away from the hobby.
A few months ago i've got the bug again and back into my RC's. I found the Spektrum kit in the attic still in the box unused.

The transmitter still fits my needs and i'd like to use it with all my models and just install different receivers into them. But as i only have 2 included i was wondering if i bought newer Spektrum receivers will they be compatible with this transmittor?

No, the newer receivers aren't compatible and neither are the newer transmitters compatible with the older receivers.
The DX3s still seem to sell used so you'd be able to make some $ towards a newer model. I believe Spektrum has a new model, but I'd look into a hacked GT3B for probably half the cost.
The RXs are usually under $7 and once hacked will control 8 channels and do anything you'd need

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Btw I didn't think to mention a better option is to pick up the OrangeRX they are available in DSM1 and DSM2 and can be had for under $15 usually

Any DSM/DSM2 rx will work with your DSM tx. DSMR is spektrum's new protocol. DSMR can work with DSM/DSM2 but not vice versa. As stated Orange/Lemon rx will work but make sure to get DSM/2 as both mfg's make dsmr rx's as well.

Flysky GT3b and GT3c as well as the turnigy tx can all be updated with new firmware giving them access to a lot of features and extra channels.

Last edited:
no problem. another tip is to not update newer radios firmware because all it does is make it not backwards compatible. I have a dx4s and if I update the firmware I wouldn't be able to use it with my sr300 receiver.

Thanks!

The only experience i have just now of 2.4ghz is the RTR systems. I'll see if i can sell this Spektrum as although it's old, it's never been used. Batteries still sealed and all.
Then i'll see what else i can pick up. Being in the UK i'm a bit more limited sadly.

if you like the radio I would keep it. the receivers it uses are cheaper than the newer versions. so if your not racing and care about 5.5ms response time it will be fine

I'd love to use it. Just worried i might not be able to find receivers to buy that use the older protocall from it anymore.

Like mentioned above the Orange and lemon receivers can be found and for pretty cheap. I have a DX3C, I have never been happy with the range to the point were I went back to the stock radio systems on my Rustler and Savage it's fine with my scx10 as I'm never more then 10 feet from it. From what I've heard on different forums is that these Orange receivers will have longer range due to different types of attenaes. This is what I've heard I have no experience with them though

Ahh i thought the orange and lemon rx's were on the newer protocol as well.
That's great then! My fastest basher is only good for about 40mph tops and i don't like to drive them too far away so should be fine for what i need. Thanks again

I use the OrangeRX I linked earlier and they are half the price of a used Spektrum DSM1. I have found them for about $11 vs $25-30 for my Spektrum RXs

Just looking at the Orange RX's on ebay just now.

Will it matter if it's listed as an air receiver?
Likewise, will it matter if i'm using a 3 channel transmitter and it's a 6 channel receiver? Only would be using 3 channels tops anyway.

That sucks for me. I'm from the UK so much more limited on my choice for what i can buy and the only orange or lemon rx's i can get here are for the air.
To buy one from USA and get it imported is far too expensive.
Back to selling the Spektrum i guess and sticking with the RTR radios

ive found the gt3c on ebay for the uk will this be ok to use the the rx that comes with it?seems very cheap are they good radios?

Just looking at the Orange RX's on ebay just now.

Will it matter if it's listed as an air receiver?
Likewise, will it matter if i'm using a 3 channel transmitter and it's a 6 channel receiver? Only would be using 3 channels tops anyway.

Go to hobbyking. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-gr300r-dsm-dsm2-compatible-3ch-2-4ghz-ground-receiver.html

I use OrangeRX on many of my ground vehicles and drones. I usually buy a few at a time.

Just pay attention to a receiver and a SATELLITE receiver. You do NOT want satellite. Those are an add on receiver, or need to have another receiver to bind it.

Back