• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Official Traxxas Statement RE: Venom UniPlug 2.0 LiPo system

durok

Sketchiness Abounds!
Subscribed Member
Thought I'd post this here, as an FYI - got it in an email today from Traxxas:

Traxxas® Consumer Safety Alert!

Important Safety Notice Regarding Venom® Power Batteries with the Uniplug 2.0 System

The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system is not compatible with Traxxas iD™
as claimed by Venom.

The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system bypasses important safety features in the Traxxas High-Current Connector. Bypassing the Traxxas safety features creates a severe risk of FIRE and INJURY if batteries are improperly handled.

The Traxxas iD™ system utilizes technology integrated into the Traxxas High Current connector that Traxxas iD™ chargers use to automatically configure the charge settings for the battery when the battery is plugged into the charger. The Venom Uniplug 2.0 connector is not compatible with the Traxxas iD™ system and contains no technology that can be used by a Traxxas iD™ charger.

The Traxxas High Current connector design designates specific connectors for various LiPo batteries and a single specific connector only for NiMh batteries. A mechanical key system built into the design of the connector prevents Traxxas iD™ LiPo batteries from being plugged into currently produced Traxxas NiMh chargers. This is an important safety feature for Traxxas customers. The Venom Uniplug 2.0 system bypasses this Traxxas safety feature and creates a severe risk of fire and injury by allowing a Venom LiPo battery to be connected to and charged by a NiMh only charger, or manually charged in NiMh charge mode on multi-chemistry chargers.

For more details, contact Traxxas Customer Service at (888) 872-9927

So in other words, you need to pay attention when charging, just like every other lipo in history.

8)

Yep, just posting this for the less-initiated among us...

;-)

I personally would never buy a Traxxas charger!

Or LiPo, for that matter.

I hate proprietary tech...

I use XT60+ connectors on all my stuff.

Last edited:
Just another reason why Traxxas is a crap company and their batteries are terrible.

That's an awfully sweeping generalization ya got there, pal.

Traxxas is NOT a crap company - merely one following a pretty standard American Capitalist model...

Their vehicles are just fine, and like every manufacturer - it's best to go elsewhere for electronics!

(previous owner of a Rustler - 1st RC ever, 2 Stampedes, a T-Maxx - the first in South Central Texas, and an E-Maxx... all lost along with more than a half-dozen RC vehicles of other brands in an apartment complex fire caused by a neighbor carelessly discarding a cigarette butt many years ago)

Last edited:
Taiwanese manufacturer exploiting the American market and engaging in price fixing, willful obsolescence, and knowingly shipping faulty products(2075) and then denying it when you call into support. The salt is beyond real.

Like I said, American capitalism at its finest... :lmao:

They are based in Plano TX, and it's just a buncha good ol' boys that made good.

(I see they're McKinney, TX nowadays...)

Obsolescence?

Traxxas vehicles stay unchanged for longer than practically every other mfg in RC.

ALL RTR servos suck...

Everyone happily followed them into the price fixing model, whatever works for one will work for the rest.

Point of manufacture?

Seriously, where do ya think all our shit is made?

Ah, whatever....

Don't buy their stuff, then.

Last edited:
I dont buy there stuff. Obsolescence may not have been the best word. I mean they never update there shit. Put a Slash side by side with a Senton and considering the overseas manufacture there is nothing that makes the Slash worth the extra 100$.

You know who needs to read that statement? The same people that still run traxxas connectors. Noobs that just don't know anything yet still say simple stuff is amazing.

Last edited:
You know who needs to read that statement? The same people that still run traxxas connectors. Noobs that just don't know anything yet si.e stuff is amazing.

Based on several of the questions we get on the forum, it certainly couldn't hurt to post the info - no skin taken off existing members by doing so, might help someone that's new to the hobby.

Don't shoot the freakin' messenger, OK?

;-)

I dont buy there stuff. Obsolescence may not have been the best word. I mean they never update there shit. Put a Slash side by side with a Senton and considering the overseas manufacture there is nothing that makes the Slash worth the extra 100$.

I don't have a short-course truck right now, but I did have a Slash that I got right when they came out - enjoyed the hell out of it. Certainly was a shame to lose it along with all the other RCs...

Traxxas sells their stuff for what the market will bear.

And, like what happened with Axial - the number of replacement parts and upgrades for the Slash-based vehicles outnumber their competitors many times over, because they are the most popular.

I like Arrma just fine, personally - and since short-course trucks bought as bashers don't really need all the "bling" that many people buy for them, I do like the Senton 4x4 and also the 6S version.

Of course, the Sentons are very recent releases - Traxxas does so well because the Slash someone bought 10(!) years ago still has replacement parts hanging on the shelf of the LHS.

(I have long-since lost interest in any and all R/C vehicles that take no care to appear the least bit scale, such as the Maxx and Revo series - and the vehicles that everyone else made in the same vein - but that's just a personal preference.)

All good here. Not a fan for Traxxas chargers, not a fan of Venom packs... Done and Done...

Taiwanese manufacturer exploiting the American market and engaging in price fixing, willful obsolescence, and knowingly shipping faulty products(2075) and then denying it when you call into support. The salt is beyond real.

"Willful obsolescence"?

What the hell are you smoking? How long have the Rustler, Bandit, and Stampede been around, 20+ years? How about the T-Maxx? All of these models have had power and material upgrades since their releases, but that is about it.

We all have our own reasons to hate companies, but at least have valid reasons.

Back