• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Not to summon a storm, but I'm interested in the yeti KIT, considering the rock rey

Spence

Pebble Pounder
Hi all, I know this is a popular debate, but I am leaning more towards a yeti KIT. But, I am kinda tempted by the rock rey. The yeti has more aftermarket and beeftastic upgrade parts on the market from MIP and vanquish and a few others.

As well it has metal front shafts out of the box, and HD gears all round. Rock rey has plastic shafts with metal U joints all round, and I think front and rear centers are a dogbone. But I am not sure however how the yeti performs, I have never driven one. Idk which one to get. Was considering the standard non score yeti KIT. I am kinda broke rn just having fun looking lol:mrgreen:

Is this maybe a dumb question, and they are both great? The yeti looks like something fun to crawl a little and bash with, and maybe race in u4rc

(hardcore axial fanboy)
Part of my crazy self is just saying: "Pull the trigger on a yeti kit haha"

Thanks
-Spence

Last edited:
I'm happy with my yeti and its versatility, but I don't drive it like it is virtually indestructible.

There is enough aftermarket stuff out there for both that you should be choosing a rig based on how you are going to use it.

What do you mean by "performs"? High speed bashing? Jumping?

A solid rear axle is not going to help you there, on either one.

The rock rey carries its weight lower, but is harder to work on, and the new platform still has teething issues. I'd avoid it and look to Losi's SCBE, for better balance and handling.

I'm happy with my yeti and its versatility, but I don't drive it like it is virtually indestructible.

There is enough aftermarket stuff out there for both that you should be choosing a rig based on how you are going to use it.

The rock rey carries its weight lower, but is harder to work on, and the new platform still has teething issues. I'd avoid it and look to Losi's SCBE, for better balance and handling.

I mean like probably a little low to high speed bashing, some crawling, and some jumping, it would be really fun at the beach for sure lol...

I think I'll take the yeti kit I think. Idk rock rey has a kinda exposed transmission, and plastic non up-gradable driveshafts at the moment, as well as no 2 speed option(yeti does). Yeti just has so much aftermarket.

My plan was to get the kit, I have some better beadlocks, I have a cheap brushless system lying around, and buy a servo and receiver. And just have a ball till I break something lol...

I think the yeti has so much aftermarket right now, and with enough money, it can be decked out. As well as you said its easier to work on lol. I was trying to state by performance, like pitch control in the air, as well as stability I heard the term "donkey kick" being thrown around a lot lol, I think it means nose diving...

Last edited:
.l.
I was trying to state by performance, like pitch control in the air, as well as stability I heard the term "donkey kick" being thrown around a lot lol, I think it means nose diving...
It is the tendency of trailing arm/solid axle trucks to pitch the nose down off of jumps as the rear suspension unloads.

There is no real fix for it but the effect can be masked if you slow down and use the throttle in the air, add ballast the axle or fuel cell ( :x ), or make the rear shocks really stiff.

My point was, if jumping and high speed handing are a priority, then I would first look to a IRS/IFS rig.

OTOH, the 2-speed was what sold me on the yeti.

It is the tendency of trailing arm/solid axle trucks to pitch the nose down off of jumps as the rear suspension unloads.

There is no real fix for it but the effect can be masked if you slow down and use the throttle in the air, add ballast the axle or fuel cell ( :x ), or make the rear shocks really stiff.

My point was, if jumping and high speed handing are a priority, then I would first look to a IRS/IFS rig.

OTOH, the 2-speed was what sold me on the yeti.

Lol, I think I'm sold on the yeti offically thanks man:) can't wait!"thumbsup"

I love my yeti. Dont regret it at all. Some much aftermarket support. Its crazy. My buddy bought a rock rey after i got mine. He paid alot more than me. He said he ha some regrets buying a rock rey. It is faster out the box on 3s. But literally Everytime he ran it with mine. Something broke. First was a front plastic shaft issue, then rear locker stripped m the rear gears stripped. Then he bought vattera aluminum carrier. Then center diff(not locked) stripped out. Then teplaced with stock and added some grease to sorta lock up. Then broke the diff case.. and now the front diff broke to... Theres not much aftermarket support for the rock rey

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I own both trucks.

After a year I have replaced exactly zero items on the Rock Rey. Ok, apart from the servo horn which was stripped out of the box.

I’ve run a mix of mainly 2S but 3S too. Probably a dozen packs of 3S driving. I just don’t personally see the need for 3S on the RR as it’s already Yeti fast in 2S.

The RR on 3S is 50% faster than the Yeti on 3S. Think about that for a moment.

If you stuck a 4S system and 3800kv motor in a Yeti, would it be reliable? Very doubtful. If it was TOTALLY stock out of the RTR box? Laughable.

The 2S 2800kv RTR RR is exactly the same speed as a 3S 3150kv Yeti.

A RR can easily take 3S with some basic mods and some driving sensitivity.

Mine has been to BMX tracks at least a dozen times and has had a load of driving. Plenty of crashes and cartwheels and running into stationary objects.

Nearly every time apart from the last, the Yeti went to that track something snaped or needed attention. Time before the ESC mount snapped off! At least it wasn’t mechanical and cost money to fix.

Overall the Yeti is very reliable but needs a host of mods to be so. Once done it’s a very enjoyable truck. My 8 yo loves it.

Now is one better than the other? It depends.

The RR jumps far better than a Yeti and it crawls better too but no 2 speed. That makes a big difference if you’re going to try to slow crawl them. Rock bounce them and the RR does great. It’s better than a crawler than getting up a hill.

RR is slightly harder to work on but the Yeti is no SCX10 either.

A year later even the RR shocks haven’t leaked. Axial shocks are terrible in the Yeti.

I locked the centre and front diffs in my RR but had to use David’s putty idea in the Yeti as a locker often breaks the front of the Yeti. No issues with these mods and they transformed the trucks into rock bouncers. I also use 100% drag brakes. Not that many guys have everything locked and drag brakes which put more stress on the drive line.

I’d base it all on a whether you will really use the 2 speed. Most guys don’t. David does and I have them in all my trucks apart from the RR and they are fantastic IMPO. I wish it had a 2 speed option as I’d own one.

My perfect rock bouncer is a 2 speed RR but a heavily modified Yeti would also be really great.

The avc on the rr is kinda lame. It takes fun out of driving it. And it over corrects itself. And the stock wheels/ tires suck on the rr. They tear apart since they r glued amd balloon up like a mfer on 3s

Last edited:

I've got/had all three. The SCBE is just an SCTE 2.0 based truck. It will out handle anything but won't give that same feeling or articulation as the RR or Yeti. You may as well an 8th scale buggy if you consider the SCBE, it will give much more mileage and the SCBE body will fit on a Losi 8ight with a little work. The Yeti is a money pit compared with the RR. Yeah, the RR is hard to work on but to make it reliable on 2S it only needs a servo horn. To make it reliable on 3S, it needs a new front bulkhead and third member. To make the Yeti reliable at all it needs your house remortgaging. The Yeti XL is even worse. The RR is probably far better value despite the annoying body access. I did replace the shocks on mine but that's because I had a better set in my parts bin.

Rock rey kit it is I guess haha :D I just don't like the crappy halfassed plastic driveshafts with metal u joints tho. Much cheaper than the yeti kit as well... I thought the yeti kit shoulda killed the rock rey, I still may go yeti because a lot of aftermarket parts...

Last edited:
I've got/had all three. The SCBE is just an SCTE 2.0 based truck. It will out handle anything but won't give that same feeling or articulation as the RR or Yeti. You may as well an 8th scale buggy if you consider the SCBE, it will give much more mileage and the SCBE body will fit on a Losi 8ight with a little work. The Yeti is a money pit compared with the RR. Yeah, the RR is hard to work on but to make it reliable on 2S it only needs a servo horn. To make it reliable on 3S, it needs a new front bulkhead and third member. To make the Yeti reliable at all it needs your house remortgaging. The Yeti XL is even worse. The RR is probably far better value despite the annoying body access. I did replace the shocks on mine but that's because I had a better set in my parts bin.

Agreed. I've had the trophy truck versions of both the Yeti and the Rey. Out of the box the Rey was faster and handled better. Based on my experience with those trucks, when it was time to try a rock racer I chose the Rock Rey kit. The Yeti is a cool platform with a lot of potential, but I think the Rey is a much better value.

Rock rey kit it is I guess haha :D I just don't like the crappy halfassed plastic driveshafts with metal u joints tho. Much cheaper than the yeti kit as well... I thought the yeti kit shoulda killed the rock rey, I still may go yeti because a lot of aftermarket parts...

I don't think I've read about a single issue with the shafts. It's not the simplest setup with those but they appear to be reliable.

I don't think I've read about a single issue with the shafts. It's not the simplest setup with those but they appear to be reliable.
The shafts are splined so they would go only 1 way for a smooth slide. They can go together another way but are super stiff. Thats how my buddies rr is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back