• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Noob looking for a tire recommendation - Redcat Gen8 Scout - Montana Weather

theBrofessor

Hello All,

I am new to the RC scene in general. I purchased a Redcat Everest-10 for my boy for Christmas, and we both fell in love with crawling, so I started the hunt for something for myself. I landed on the Redcat Gen8 Scout II as a good bang for my buck option. I am very happy with my purchase so far, but I'm looking for a tire upgrade, as that seems to be what's holding me back the most. My boy's rig is leaving me in the dust when it comes to loose surfaces like sand and snow.

I'm looking for a recommendation on something that will be good on the rocks of course, but also looser surfaces like sand/loose dirt, and snow. We run a lot in cold weather, and will run them a lot this summer when it's hot as well, so a wide variation in ambient temperatures as well.

I'm also looking at Crawler Innovations dual stage foam, soft for the front and medium for the rear I'm thinking. Does that seem like a good strategy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would try replacing your foams before you give up on the tires. I've found that the Gen8 tires are pretty good in looser materials... it's on smoother rocks that they really fall short. The major problem with the Gen8, especially in the cold, is that memory foam they use. It turns rock hard in anything below 75 degree temperatures and prohibits the tire from conforming at all.

I run the CI dual stage foams in my Gen 8. I run the 4.25" Comp Cut softs up front, and 4.25" Comp Cut mediums in the rear. Even this is a little bit firmer than I feel is ideal, mainly because the tire carcass itself is so stiff, but it's a huge improvement over the stock foams. I'd try this first.

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest trying the Pitbull Rock Beast XORs. On the loose stuff, their huge open tread pattern and wider with is going to be a big plus, and they're still extremely sticky, so I'd expect them to work great on rocks too. I run a set of the 2.2 XORs on my Yeti, and that's a dirt churning monster. :mrgreen:

Proline Tsl's in G8 compound!
or... Duratrax Deepwoods.

Oa3GnPel.jpg

I have the Tsl's and my friend has the Deepwoods. They are matched well, and both have run extensevely in all Montana weather...

Welcome to RCC!

I'd suggest either Proline TSL Super Swampers or Hyrax. G8 and Predator compound are both great, but I've found the Predator to work better on wet rocks. G8 compound will last longer and it's really good too. The stock foams are useable, but adding the Proline Dual Stage foams make the tires even better. Personally, I'm not a fan of wasting money on foams for stock tires unless those foams will also work in aftermarket tires. Been there, done that. I'm not sure of the size of the stock Gen8 tires, but if they are around the same size as the Hyrax or TSL XL's then you could try foams first and if those don't satisfy you then you could upgrade the tires and move the good foams into the new tires.

Thank you for the input everyone. I had been eyeing the Hyrax tires, so maybe I'll end up going that way. We'll see what the tax return looks like! ;P

You can never go wrong with TSL Super swamper XL.
That being said, I would go for Proline KM3 in predator compound. My current favourite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back