• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie to RC crawlers, looking for some help!

Newbie here! My name is Sara and I've been into RC cars and real life rock crawlers forever and just purchased my first RC crawler last week! I debated between the Axial Spawn and the Axial scx10 Deadbolt. I ended up with the scx10 because it seemed like a great starter and fairly easy to mod. I'm in love with it! I also impulse bought a Tamiya Blackfoot xtreme body, simply because I love the '93-96 Ford pickup body styles! I'm wanting to build a scale RC crawler to match one of my two personal '94 F150's. Much to my disappointment the Blackfoot extreme body doesn't fit the axial SCX10 chassis. I'm not all that down about it though! So what has brought me here is this:

Is there any RTR crawler that the Blackfoot xtreme body will fit on or should I start gathering parts for a custom build?
Or is it possible to get the Blackfoot body to fit the scx10 without crazy modification?

If I'm going to have to go the custom route, where is a good place to start? Any help is appreciated! Please go easy, I'm a newb!! Thanks!:oops:

Without any pictures. I'd say it could be made to fit look in the spair parts bag there are a few different body posts. Or look on eBay or proline web page the sell a body post kit that may get you going. Also do a Google Image search for that body on an scx10. Also hi from Texas.

Welcome to the forums.

A search of the forums brings up a few threads on the Blackfoot body. One mentions the wheelbase is somewhere around 9.5" where the deadbolt is 12". You could try to shorten the links may not work out.

Tamiya CC-01 has a wheelbase of 9.9". I have no experience with them. Just what I could find.

Thanks for your feedback!

The width is perfect for the body, but it appears the rear axle needs to be moved forward and the excess frame could possibly be cut. Not sure I want to dive in that deep just yet. Still researching my options, just was hoping to find someone who had given this a go yet. I'm determined to make this work, just not sure how yet!

If you shorten the front and rear links and possibly driveshafts you could prob make it work. The cc01 is a decent choice but the ifs won't look very "scale". The scx won't perform as well that short either. There are guys on here that could cut the body and make it an extended cab to fit better. There are a few options you can look into. Keep us posted on what you decide and if you can, post up some pics of the body and rig. O and have fun with it!

Jcplante, that is what I was worried about. Not going to jump the gun and shorten anything just yet. I have an old monster rc truck at home so I may see if anything can be used from that but I highly doubt it. Any clue if the original Blackfoot chassis was easily modified to perform like a crawler or just a 2wd monster truck? I'm not in a huge rush, so I will try to keep updates on how things go. It seems my best bet is to start from scratch. I plan to stay away from an extended cab simply because the trucks I'm building it after are single cabs. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will put some up of the rig and what I would like it to look like! Thanks for all the help so far!

You could do a truggy.

E05DEFC0-9629-4937-8E19-546C3D385866-1508-0000017466B1F32E_zps63d1c2be.jpg

To start off you can buy some 8-32 threaded rod and some traxxas revo ends. With that stuff you can make new mock up links. Then you are only out a few dollars and if you don't like the results just bolt the stock links back and and its back the way it was. No permanent mods to the scx and then you will get a good idea of what it will look like and how it will perform

Welcome to the site. I'm loving the enthusiasm to jump right in. Your biggest problem with the Blackfoot body on most scaler platforms is going to be width. At 6.5" wide, it's a fair bit narrower than most of the so-called 10th scale platforms (which are really more like 8-9th scale). There are a couple of short wheelbase platforms on the market (the RC4WD short wheelbase version of the TF2 has a 9.5" wheelbase that would match the Blackfoot's), but those would also be a fair bit wider than the Blackfoot body. A quick google search on "Blackfoot SCX10" pulled up some folks that have given it a go on the SCX10, so I would suggest starting there to see if you find something that piques your interest.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input and help!! I did some digging and it seems like the CC-O! from Tamiya will work perfect for the Blackfoot body. I plan to take my time with my F-150 build because I want it to look as close as possible to my 1:1 truck. I just have to decide which one to build it after! Right now I plan to keep playing with my Deadbolt and work on it. Just waiting for new parts to arrive! Hopefully I can at least have a chassis for the blackfoot and have it moving by May. I have a body I plan to test out with the scx10 in the next few weeks. It will be really different for sure!

Back