• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New Yeti RTR - need help with first upgrades

TomFrajer

Quarry Creeper
Hi,
I just started this weekend with new Axial Yeti RTR (Ready To Replace). Had some good time with two 2S packs (LRP Outlaw 8000).

I expected that something will break later or sooner. Just to say, it was sooner I even did not finished first pack and already lost plastic part on right swaybar (AX31113). No problem, still running!

Next time out I was taking it easy, but unfortunately, when trying to climb some steep rocks, suddenly, my Yeti stopped moving with motor still running. Again not finished even the first pack :-D

Back at home, after some thinking and reading on this forum, I took out spur grear cover just to discover that motor pinon gear is out of spur gear and moving back and forth. I found set screw inside the box, so no missing parts :-D Put it back together. Supposed that this little one had to be glued (according to manaual of KIT version). Shame on Axial! :-D

So I was still running next day (something I did not expected). Car started to make whistling noises, but I decided to continue. I figured out I must lubricate moving parts on wheels and steering. I already ordered some dry silicone lube - this should work great I suppose.

But what is dissapointing me alot is that my back left wheel is wobbling like hell. I just noticed it this time and do not know if this was unbalanced from factory, or made by my first running sessions. Center screw on that wheel is tight and I was even not able to unscrew it with the cross tool included in RTR package. I must buy some bigger thing for this...

Except whistling noises from both front wheels and steering, heavy wobbling rear wheel, Yeti started to make some very strange sounds, but stil running. I decided to stop and have some service time before I destroy it completely Again did not finished first LiPo :-D

At home I took a look at my pinon and spur gears again just to check. I found that spur gear is lightly wobbling - tooths on both gears are OK, nothing damaged. Im now thinking to put this bearing (AXA1221) in the center of spur gear instead of small plastic piece that is there - is this good idea? Anyway I will replace it later with Robinson Racing RRP1564.

Im already planning lot of upgrades and want to order some Vanquish parts that I like the most of what is available for Yeti.

Now the newbie questions :-D

I want to replace stock wheel hubs with Vanquish ones. Im wondering if I can use any sizes, or am I limited by used wheels and/or axles? I want to make my Yeti little wider to prevent rollups when turning in high speeds. Can I put widest hubs (SLW 850) on stock Yeti with stock rear wheels? What hub size do you recommend to put on front wheels to acompany it? Will 475s do?

Next thing I want to change are wheels. I want to put there Method Race Wheels. I noticed that there are two widths available 1.2" and (standard?) 0.8" - can I use wider ones? Can I put 2.2 Maxxis Trepador Tires on them? I have no idea of what is better to use, so Im asking for advice here.

Another parts I want to buy and replace in first run of upgrades:
Yeti Double Sheer Steering Rack Kit
Yeti 3/16 Titanium Front Link Kit
Yeti 3/16 Titanium Rear Upper Suspension Link Kit
MIP X-Duty Rear C-Drive Kit, Axial Yeti #14390
Robinson Racing RRP1564 Yeti Gen3 Unit 64t Black Steel 32p
Incision Yeti VDI
Robinson Racing RRP1515 Axial Yeti X-Hard 32p Machined Idler 15t
Robinson Racing RRP1527 Axial Yeti X-Hard 32p Machined W/Flats Set-Screws 27t
Vanquish Yeti Motor Plate Black Anodized
Vanquish Yeti Motor Cam Black Anodized
Yeti Front Shock Adjuster Black Anodized
Axial Yeti / EXO Steering Knuckles Black Anodized
Yeti Front Caster Blocks Black Anodized

Also want rear lower links and front shock tower from Vanquish, but they are out of stock so I will have to replace them later.

Any advices are welcome.

Thank you,
Tom Frajer from Prague, Czech Republic

Back