• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New to Rc Crawling

dscarpenter7

Hello everyone, hope you all are well. I just got my first 1/10 scale rig for rc crawling(Traxxas trx4 defender) it’s a great little guy with a lot of the feature I thought might be helpful for crawling, including locking front and rear difs, 2 speed transmission, and nice shocks. I was just curious is there anything y’all suggest doing in order to do well on trails? I have taken it on a few and it’s an insane amount of fun. Thank y’all for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, hope you all are well. I just got my first 1/10 scale rig for rc crawling(Traxxas trx4 defender) it’s a great little guy with a lot of the feature I thought might be helpful for crawling, including locking front and rear difs, 2 speed transmission, and nice shocks. I was just curious is there anything y’all suggest doing in order to do well on trails? I have taken it on a few and it’s an insane amount of fun. Thank y’all for your time

My suggestion is just drive it. The more you drive it the more you will find things you want to change. Every rig is different, and every driver is different. what works for some doesn't work for others.

Common upgrades include lowering the weight from the chassis adding more weight to the axles, to lower the cg. and stickier tires better electronics... ect.

My best advice is also just to drive it and see what (if anything) it lacks for your specific usage.

My second bit of advice is enjoy it for what it is, a fairly capable scale rig. If you get bit by the performance bug, don’t dump a lot of money into the defender trying to make it a comp truck. Before you know it, there won’t be anything left.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck....that's a great rig for sure. The advice above is the way to go for sure. Drive your new rig and figure out what you like about it and what improvements you think it needs. Depending on what type of terrain you're driving on it might be fine the way it is or you may find you need some mods. Either way have fun with your new tiny truck!!

A hello from another new-comer to the hobby ... have to agree with just drive and enjoy it to start with.

My best advice is also just to drive it and see what (if anything) it lacks for your specific usage.

My second bit of advice is enjoy it for what it is, a fairly capable scale rig. If you get bit by the performance bug, don’t dump a lot of money into the defender trying to make it a comp truck. Before you know it, there won’t be anything left.

Thank you for the advice. I will do that 100%

the only down side to the trx4 is the electronics some have used them for years with out issue personally they just make smoke for me as soon as I plug them in
that sead all rtr electronics suck butt that's the best upgrades in my opinion once you use decent equipment it's hard to go back to rtr junk

I usually change out the electronics as soon as I get a new rig. RTR stuff is < so so

Quality tires from Proline, JConcepts or Pitbull are the best way to improve RTRs IMO.

I agree with JatoTheRipper.....put some good quality tires on there and run it. No need to do much else until something quits like the motor, then upgrade it.

Back