• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New T Hunter getting upgrades and mods

Tucky

So I just picked up a Hobby Plus T Hunter and like my pickup I cant leave it alone. I started with some new wheels and tires. Went up to 1.3 brass wheels and some 74mm tires. They rubbed damn near everything so I cut the bumper and body to get clearance and then relocated the lights. I'll get around to mounting the light grills to make it look better sometime. I relocated the battery with some two sided foam tape but will probably do something better and more permanent. The front shocks only had one option for positioning so I took the mount off the frame, flipped them upside down and bolted them to the holes just behind the axle. That seems to let the bigger tires move down more and not contact anything like the cab or frame.
The plastic hubs I noticed were starting to round off and spin in the rim when the tire would wedge in between two rocks so then I ordered a new axle set from RCAWD that has brass hubs. Then I got a bit carried away and ordered a new motor with metal gears, along with some shocks that are the same length as stock but collapse shorter and then some 70mm tires just to see. I'll get some pictures and I am sure that I am doing something wrong so any advice would be great.

Welcome to the site! Looking forward to your photos.

If you need help with posting photos, I created a tutorial how to embed images from Imgur.

Here's a few pics, hopefully they work
02OKq2u.jpg

yXXMIHB.jpg

nt6Jgqi.jpg

Hub spacers may be the only option for this platform, sorry I'm not familiar. A wide stance will add to the scrub radius which in basic terms is the difference between the steering tire being dragged in a large arc rather than just pivoting around the tire center itself. Extra scrub radius will also put the tire into the body a bit more, extra trimming might be needed.

A wide stance it useful but personally I avoid it if it adds too much scrub radius and negatively impacts steering. This usually means not adding more than 1/8"-3/16 over stock on a 1/10 scale and less on 1/24 scale.

That said its super common with micros likely because folks just dont care and or there aren't tons of other options.

The best way to go wider is with a wider axle which isnt a common part for most platforms.

Hub spacers may be the only option for this platform, sorry I'm not familiar. A wide stance will add to the scrub radius which in basic terms is the difference between the steering tire being dragged in a large arc rather than just pivoting around the tire center itself. Extra scrub radius will also put the tire into the body a bit more, extra trimming might be needed.

A wide stance it useful but personally I avoid it if it adds too much scrub radius and negatively impacts steering. This usually means not adding more than 1/8"-3/16 over stock on a 1/10 scale and less on 1/24 scale.

That said its super common with micros likely because folks just dont care and or there aren't tons of other options.

The best way to go wider is with a wider axle which isnt a common part for most platforms.
That makes sense. I have some smaller 70mm tires that will be here in a couple days that I will try out and see how they are. Trimming the bumper along with the 74mm tires gave this a great approach angle but they might be too much.

I use negative offset wheels , extended axles or hex extensions on a majority of my builds . I feel that this is where an upgraded steering servo comes in handy to help turn the increased scrub easier.

I decided to abandon this project. It was my first rc truck and I didn’t know jack about anything. I now have a TRX4M that has much better aftermarket support and I like this truck much better

If you enjoy the hobby you eventually will get back to it . I’m working on my 12th build at the moment. I don’t have a TRX4M but the black Ford F15O is looking pretty damn sweet .

Back