• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New Shocks for SCX10-Dingo

jber19

cleveland (technically, but really in Mongolia-yes
Hey, I have a SCX10, pretty stock. I was at a competition today, first one ever, and realized, I need better shocks than the stock ones (after coming in second to last). I am on a budget, but I want to increase the eye to eye length to around 100-110mm. I have scoured the threads here and have found some helpful info. So, I wanted to get more specifics. Based on what I read and found, I think there are 3 solid options for me. 1. Traxxas Big Bore Shocks Slash front (here). My issue with these is that though they are a good price, I can't find out how long they are...AT ALL. I've looked everywhere, and it doesn't list their length...anyone know? 2. HPI Racing Shock set 77mm-117mm (here) They're cheap, but they are plastic. And is HPI a good brand? What are your thoughts? And 3. RC4WD King Off Road Shocks 110mm (here). Quality and I think I'd be happy with them...but pricey.
So, interweb crawler friends, which would you get? Or do you have any other suggestions? Again, I'm on a budget so the King's would have to wait a couple of months....Thanks!

Look at www.asiatees.com they have some good stuff cheap

Plastic shocks are not necessarily bad. There are 3 criteria (that I look at) when looking for parts. 1. Price, 2. Quality, 3. Looks. If you are huge on scale looks then looks might be your number 1 or 2. If $ is a big factor the stock shocks can be fixed up so they don't leak. That should hold you over if the shocks you want are more pricy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What makes you think the stock shocks is the reason you didn't do well in the comp?

In my opinion (and what I've seen), longer shocks will make things worse.

If you want longer shocks get a set of wraith shocks the lingth is very close to what your asking for. The price is usually 15. I have wraith ones on my scx10 I put nitro tubing inside to limit the travel there still to big because now I have very little travel (the shock body is to long) IMHO.

Last edited:
The traxxas 2660 big bore with losi mini t springs and the shock cap mod are perfect for the scx10. I run them on almost all my trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I agree...my experience with longer shocks on my rigs has resulted in worse performance in regards to the stock length proline powerstrokes.

I think a setup using longer shocks requires a lot of tuning to get it right. If you're looking for better performance right out of the box, I think you're better off upgrading to a stock length shock (90-95mm). I've had good experience with the prolines.

What is the vehicle doing that leads you to believe longer shocks will fix?

What makes you think the stock shocks is the reason you didn't do well in the comp?

I second that motion. Stock shocks can be rebuilt not to leak. Spings to tune. Drive time to get better with your rig. If I had to choose from what you want I would go with big bores. The fronts are 3.5 and rear are 4.0. Hope you enjoy your rig, placing in comps is only one aspect of a huge hobby"thumbsup"

I like the proline scalers on my scx. Comparatively, tires or servo upgrades net more noticeable performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, you guys responded fast!!
To answer why I don't think I did well question, it is because I just didn't have the articulation nor the height. So, I figured perhaps I need longer shocks. One guy at the comp suggested I need bigger (larger outer diameter) tires. I could, but then I'm looking at getting new rims (landies) that are 1.55 inside diameter (here) and either of these two tires (here and here)

Would that help?

Second, my shocks aren't leaking...I just think I need longer ones. Not too long, (I've seen some that look ridiculous). Just something to give me more height. Another guy at the comp suggested I get rid of the stock front bumper altogether. But, I definitely don't want to do that as it does help protect everything and it looks somewhat scale.

Looking scale isn't a main priority, but I also don't want some of the rigs that look like an RC car....Ultimately, I'd love a hard plastic Land Rover body on this thing

So based on that, what tips do you guys have? Wraith shocks good? Or should I try to figure something else out? Let me know and thanks!!

Oh, one more thing, I'm not terribly concerned about winning, I want to have fun...I just don't want to come in last! :)

Wow, you guys responded fast!!
To answer why I don't think I did well question, it is because I just didn't have the articulation nor the height. So, I figured perhaps I need longer shocks. One guy at the comp suggested I need bigger (larger outer diameter) tires. I could, but then I'm looking at getting new rims (landies) that are 1.55 inside diameter (here) and either of these two tires (here and here)

Would that help?

Second, my shocks aren't leaking...I just think I need longer ones. Not too long, (I've seen some that look ridiculous). Just something to give me more height. Another guy at the comp suggested I get rid of the stock front bumper altogether. But, I definitely don't want to do that as it does help protect everything and it looks somewhat scale.

Looking scale isn't a main priority, but I also don't want some of the rigs that look like an RC car....Ultimately, I'd love a hard plastic Land Rover body on this thing

So based on that, what tips do you guys have? Wraith shocks good? Or should I try to figure something else out? Let me know and thanks!!

Oh, one more thing, I'm not terribly concerned about winning, I want to have fun...I just don't want to come in last! :)

you might want to read THIS and THIS also (articulation)

you might want to read THIS and THIS also (articulation)
OK, this was super super super helpful. My thinking was way off...I thought the softer the better, but this make so much more sense.
So based on this, what would you all recommend I do first? New tires (which for me means new rims)? And if so, which ones?
Also, am I looking at new shocks anyhow? Which springs would you recommend and what weight oil?
Lots of questions, I know, but you guys are really helping me out!

One last thing, I have all the electronics and battery in the front of the car, nothing in the back...thoughts?
Thanks

Back