• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Need more channels

dtb01

Hello,

I need at least one more channel for my rc, and I had a few ideas how but wanted some input. I have outlined a few options I was thinking of. And yes, I am well aware I can get a different transmitter, but I would prefer not to at the moment.

I am currently using a spektrum smart dx3 controller. Is there any way to hack it to add a 4th channel? I did some preliminary research but did not find anything.

Can I use an rc winch controller box and remote to control a servo? there are two wires that go to the winch from the box, but presumably I would need a 3rd pulse wire to operate a servo.

Is there a cheap transmitter/ receiver combo I could use? I would really like the transmitter to be as small as possible so that I fabricate a box for it and attach it to my current transmitter.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

thanks!

for #1 i seem to remeber there being a way to add a channel.to any radio but its not a simple hack

for 2 you can use a winch controler to operate a servo but the only way i can think.of would be to remove the electronics from inside the zervo and hook the winch controler to the servo motor directly

on to 3 the winch controler is the only thing i can think of

just a thought maybe hack.the winch controler and add your own switch and just have the new switch poking through the radio case

Wi ch controller won't run a servo. That's a "plug into a receiver" matter.

As for hacking a dx3, chances are it's not going to bind to a 4ch receiver even if the TX can be hacked.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Maybe I make something that will help.
I make a bunch of odd controllers.
Here's one:
1542130036071_wwalls.jpg

https://www.heyokperformance.com/Wi...ition_Servo_Controller/p1742582_19283944.aspx

You can find others on that site too, just look around. PM me if I can help.

Al

Radiolink RC6GS is a great 6cnl radio and only costs 80.00.

Looks like a nice controller heyok is making as well. Take it that's lights/on/off only?

Radiolink RC6GS is a great 6cnl radio and only costs 80.00.

Looks like a nice controller heyok is making as well. Take it that's lights/on/off only?

Yes, the "connect to lights" output is just on/off. I could make it so that the brightness of that output changes each time you hit the button. Maybe like this:
Off
Bright
Medium
Dim

Wi ch controller won't run a servo. That's a "plug into a receiver" matter.

As for hacking a dx3, chances are it's not going to bind to a 4ch receiver even if the TX can be hacked.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
people use winch controlers to run servos all the time i have atleast 2 set up that way myself the winch controler is just a small esc

and all my spectrum recivers are 4 channel even on my 2 channel dx2 i think i might even have a 6 channel reciver but i cant remeber lol
now that i think about.it that 4th slot.might be for.a.battery or.accesory and might not be usable as a 4th channel but they do have 6 channel recives not cheap.though

Last edited:
My advise would be to just get a Flksky GT5 and be done with it. Slowly move your other models over to it with their 3ch (about $10) and 6ch receivers (about $20). Why monkey around buying end-arounds when this $75 combo will save you time, hassle, on-board radio space and will also save you money on your next rig.

people use winch controlers to run servos all the time i have atleast 2 set up that way myself the winch controler is just a small esc

and all my spectrum recivers are 4 channel even on my 2 channel dx2 i think i might even have a 6 channel reciver but i cant remeber lol
now that i think about.it that 4th slot.might be for.a.battery or.accesory and might not be usable as a 4th channel but they do have 6 channel recives not cheap.though

Can you elaborate more on how you are running a servo off a winch controller?
Thanks

Can you elaborate more on how you are running a servo off a winch controller?
Thanks
its hooked up just like any other esc and motor

it wont work the same way as a normal servo but it will do it i have mine hooked to a servos i use as a winch

and im sure it would work for rear steer to

hayok can hook you up or you can buy a new controler rather cheap or you can use a standerd winch controler but it might not work like you want it too

for the price of a 6 channel spectrum reciver you can by a new radio so it isent realy cost efective to modify the radio and by the time hayok custom makes a controler for you you wont be far off from the cost of a new radio i just picked up a 6 channel radio new for $40 delivered just a cheapo but in my opinion it feels better in my hand than the spectrum radios

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Thank you all for your responses! There is some more information I felt I should share at this time that probably should have been included in the original post.

I have an scx 10.3 and the channel I am trying to add is to operate the 2 speed as well as the dig. For those of you who don't know, the 10.3 comes with a spektrum 2 in 1 esc and receiver combo, hence my hesitation to go to a different remote because I am limited to spektrum smart remotes or I end up needing to buy a new remote, receiver and esc. The spektrum receiver is a four channel, so if there was a way to hack the spektrum 3 channel remote I have it would work. The other issue is that spektrum does not make 4 channel smart remote as far as I know, which means I have to shell out a fair bit of cash to go to a 5 channel.

It is because of these reasons I am looking for a solution to add a channel or control a servo through a winch controller instead of going with the apparently easier option of switching to a different remote.

I have an scx 10.3 and the channel I am trying to add is to operate the 2 speed as well as the dig..... the 10.3 comes with a spektrum 2 in 1 esc and receiver combo, hence my hesitation to go to a different remote .

In that case still get the GT5 or Radiolink and add in a Hobbywing 1060 ESC for $21. Rip out the proprietary 2 in 1 and just go with the separates. Toss the RTR radio system on the shelf and use it in a two or three channel rig down the road. Or sell it to fund the aftermarket units.

Back