• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

need help soldering..........

bob1961

I wanna be Dave
ok i did a search and read some posts on soldering and tinning....i'm trying to solder up plugs for my charger to a pig tail with a deans plug on it already for my battery....went to youtube and watched some vid's....i know get iron hot, what temp is best....i'm doing what the video says but the solder is not flowing into the wire to tin it even after cleaning the tip and retinning it....i have a hakko 936 station that's brand new that the temp can go to 900 degrees....the solder i have is rosin core lead free silver bearing for electrical soldering 1.6mm....before i try any of my deans plugs and ruin them what am i doing wrong....i can weld, use brazing rod on steel, solder copper pipe in plumbing i even did some electrical soldering in high school but that was in 1978 :roll: ............bob

the best way I can describe it is to just use a little bit of solder and don't let the wires touch. Also just place a little solder on the iron and then place the wire where you want it( I would go to radio shack and buy a cheap kit for 10$) then solder it to the connector......

and make sure you put the shrink wrap on the wire first.

the best way I can describe it is to just use a little bit of solder and don't let the wires touch. Also just place a little solder on the iron and then place the wire where you want it( I would go to radio shack and buy a cheap kit for 10$) then solder it to the connector......

and make sure you put the shrink wrap on the wire first.

don't you need to get the connector hot to tin it and then solder a wire to it :?:
what kit are you talking bout :?:
the connector i'm trying to solder the wire to is a 4mm male bullet plug that goes into the hyp 06061 charger outlet....i can't get the connector hot enough to tin it or tin the wire and use the screw in the bullet plug to hold the wire in it....the couple of video's i watched had the wires tinned in bout 2 seconds....i'm holding the iron to the wire as per the video for over 30 seconds to where 2" from the end of the wire is getting hot through the insulation and the solder isn't melting, but as soon as i touch it the the iron tip is sizzles and melts but not the wire....the wire i'm using is 12ga deans ultra wire................bob

You have to tin the tip of the iron so the heat will transfer from the iron to the connector.

I usually get the iron hot then place the wire on top of the hot iron then touch the solder to the iron and the wire at the same time. When the solder melts it helps pass the heat into the wire. After the wire gets hot then touch the solder to the wire and it will flow into the wire.

Same for your deans connector. A hint, put both the male and female connectors together as this helps keep the one you are soldering to from warping.

Place hot iron against the surface of the connector. Touch solder to the iron and the connector to create a small puddle to transfer heat to the connector. Wait a few sec then touch solder to the area in which you plan on attaching the wire to. A small puddle should form. Wait till the puddle spreads out evenly then let cool for a second. Place heatshrink over wire and slide it down away from the working surface. Place tinned wire to connector surface then place hot iron onto the wire. Watch for solder to flow evenly from the connector to the wire then let it cool down. Don't forget to slide the heat shrink over your connection and shrink it down before going to the next wire.

If you are using a heavy gauge wire it can be a little tricky to heat it quickly. One thing I do is: have a small puddle of solder on the tip (wide tip for better transfer) and when you touch the puddle to the bottom of the wire introduce more solder by touching it to the puddle and the wire at the same time. This way you are instantly increasing the amount of solder that is touching the wire which in turn increases the surface area transfering heat.

Then you can run the tip around the wire dragging the puddle around the wire as well causing the solder to flow into the wire all the way around.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

It is hard to explain, but Montereycrawler hit it pretty good. Use the puddle to transfer heat. Tin your tip and put the puddle between the wire and your tip, then add solder and it should flow into the wire. Same with the connector, I put the tip on the end of the tab with the puddle touching it and add solder. Then when you join the two, you heat the wire, which then transfers to the connector melting the tin on it and the two come together. You should only have to add very little solder if any when the two tinned pieces puddle together. I always use at least one third hand, you should not have to touch the parts at all with your hands

thx for the new ideas guys....i was able to attach a deans to my sidewinder red and black wires that were already tinned with solder from holmes hobbies....i had to use my solder station at 775 degrees....i was able to tin the deans plug then just melt the solder on the ESC wires to the deans plug, that went good....but when i try to tin the 12ga deans ultra wire with all the wire strands it has in it, i think thats what giving me troubles....i was able to tin the bullet connectors on the higher heat setting then what solder i was able to get tinned to the wires i just stuck it in the bullet hole, let cool and it was good....maybe with some tinkering i'll get this soldering down yet..............bob

I do everything with an 800 degree tip. My station does not have selectable temps, I use different tips for different temps. If you can find it, RC Car Action had a big article on soldering i think like a year and a half ago or so? Great pics and write -ups.
You can also run quite a bit of solder down a deans wire and not know it. It may not have a glob on the end, but it flows deep down the wire pretty quick.

Start by getting the Haco soldering station. It is the best iron I have ever used. Turn it up to about 800 degrees and tin the wires and the connector, then apply heat to put them together. Let it cool and shrink the shrink tube, if able you can use the shaft of the iron to heat the shrink tube. Hope it helps.

Back