• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

My attempt at an SCX based Pulling Truck

John82601

Rock Crawler
The LHS has purchased a sled and has announced that we'll start pulling outdoors this spring and will be using the 5280 Pulling Club rule set. I've always enjoyed pulling at our gatherings but it's always been very informal with no real rules. So I decided to try to build a truck, on a budget, that would be competitive. Unfortunately, my patience and fab skills are both, um, lacking. So here we go.

I purchased a used chassis set from another member here. Soaked in Simple Green and attacked with a toothbrush and it came pretty clean.

image-1_zps232e85ed.jpg

The rules call for a max wheelbase of 11.75" which just happened to match up pretty well with a body I had laying around. My friend Ryan painted this some time ago but I'd just never found the right use for it.

DSCN0127_zpsccdb13d9.jpg

Once I'd mounted the body where I wanted it, it was time to figure out where to set the wheelbase. I'll be competing in two classes with the truck, 4WD Super Stock requires a scale looking tire, 1.9" wheel or smaller. 4WD Mod calls out two spec tires and one of them is the TLT-1. The body resting on the tires.

DSCN0142_zps026034f0.jpg

DSCN0140_zps6485addb.jpg

The toughest part of this project has been the challenge presented by the small amount of underhood area the body provides. I wanted to keep the ride height as low as possible but have enough front suspension to tame a track that might not be perfectly groomed. I tried front steer, rear steer, attempted a Wheely King style pivot mount and ended up at a front steer setup. LOTS of experimenting went on.

DSCN0148_zps5ff473b3.jpg

DSCN0152_zpsf5896113.jpg

Ultimately, I ended up limiting the stock SCX shocks inside and out to get a reasonable height and 8mm of travel (no scientific reason, 8mm just looked right). I gained some clearance for the upper Y link by removing the crossmember that ties the shock towers together. I put some strength back into the structure by tying the upper shock mounts together.

DSCN0174_zpsb75687ad.jpg

In the rear I started out with a simple L bracket to tie the axle housing to the chassis. I went with shorter lower links to put them at a greater angle so the moment about the axle will be trying to lift the front of the truck vs pushing straight forward. This can be played with later once I find out if this works or not. Later, I added a 3rd link from the alum plate above the axle to the skid. This way the axle is locked from rotation in both directions in 2 axis.

DSCN0173_zps6faa160f.jpg

I thought about fabbing a hitch but the one offered by 3Racing for the SCX is just a pretty unit. Time will tell if it's strong enough. Drawbar height came out about 2.3", just below the 2.5" limit. I used 1/2"x1/8" flat strap for the structures to hang the weights on. The rear is a really simple L mounted to the top of the axle and the front is a U shaped piece with an additional front piece bolted on. I'm somewhat skeptical about the front piece being attached to the frame with M3 hardware. I'm thinking an alum front crossmember and some M4 hardware will be added soon.

DSCN0193_zps02b3ada8.jpg

DSCN0194_zpse7f9d968.jpg

I found weights on line, a little over $1 ea, weigh in at .25lb each. A pair of Baja 5b body clips seemed like a simple enough solution to keep them in place. Looks like I can add 3lb on the front and 1.5lb over the rear axle. Both classes I'm planning to run are 10lb max. W/O tranny, electronics, etc but full of weights the truck is currently at 7.3lb. Might be a little light when all is said and done. (warning - blurry picture)

DSCN0195_zps20c6345f.jpg

DSCN0196_zps29dba51d.jpg

So here's where we sit today. I'm waiting for my last Robinson Racing steel trans gear to come in so that I can finish the drivetrain. MIP driveshafts are on order. For power I'm planning to run a Castle 3800kv on 2s in the lower class and switch to 3s for Mod. It will present quite an amp load but I think a MMP will be sufficient as the runs are only 7-10 seconds in duration.

DSCN0197_zpsaf6066bc.jpg

DSCN0200_zpsd8c9fe44.jpg

The last real "modification" I have planned before doing some testing is to narrow the rear axle. I've read that it's pretty straightforward by using some C's off of the front axle and trimming the ears off. I've ordered a pair of 13x5x4 bearings to do the job and will be trying it out once they get here.

Any questions, comments or suggestions please post up!

What are you planning for a trans? I recommend using a single drop transmission instead of an axial.

I've got all of the Robinson parts to build an Axial trans but I've been looking at Servo City and it would be really simple to build a drop trans. I'm kind of torn which way to go which is why it doesn't have a trans yet.

I do have a question. What type of wheelspeed are you guys gearing for? I'm thinking 3800kv on 2s to set baseline gearing at 35mph and on 3s about 45mph. Is this reasonable or am I way off?

The single drop I just did is setup with an 80/14 gearing and a 4000kv motor.

If you with servo city, stay away from the delrin gears. I stupidly put them in my promod and they made it 1/2 way down the track with only 50#. I switched to aluminum and we ran out of weights at 110# full pull.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The single drop I just did is setup with an 80/14 gearing and a 4000kv motor.

If you with servo city, stay away from the delrin gears. I stupidly put them in my promod and they made it 1/2 way down the track with only 50#. I switched to aluminum and we ran out of weights at 110# full pull.

Thanks for the info and the heads-up on the delrin gears."thumbsup"

I have had mine pulling in a 4x4 modified class now for a few months , I left all the running gear stock to see how tough these trucks are . No breakage until last week , steering knuckle finally gave up , so plan on upgrading them . I run in a ten pound class and we pull on dirt , 15lb sled and are adding 18 to 22 pounds depending on track conditions . I recently added brushless system 4900kv motor and 2 cell lipo , that lit it up over the brushed motor .

I do have a question. What type of wheelspeed are you guys gearing for? I'm thinking 3800kv on 2s to set baseline gearing at 35mph and on 3s about 45mph. Is this reasonable or am I way off?

That's a little high in the wheel speed.
20-30mph is more reasonable. It does depend on the dirt as well. Looser / drier tracks will use more speed. Wetter or more clay (stickier) tracks will use less speed. Its better to start with a little more gear (slower wheel speed) and work up. Do a couple runs and if you are not bogging down or cogging the motor, you can always step up the pinion to get more speed. Final gearing will be in the 15-25:1 range most likely for TLT wheels.

Last edited:
It looks like we'll be pulling on the front straight of the outdoor track which has quite a bit of clay to it so I'll go more conservative on the gearing. I'm going to start out 25/87 for a FDR of 26.77:1. Once we get some test n tune time I'll adjust accordingly. I got some more tinker time with the truck this weekend. I finished assembling the transmission using Super Lube on the Robinson steel gear set. Some time ago I had won a motor mount from Super Shafty, what a beautiful piece it is! It attaches to the trans case in 4 spots vs the stock 3 and beautifully machined. I also got my battery mount figured out. Unfortunately it meant I had to lose my rear weight bracket. Running a narrow body definitely presents it's own challenges.

DSCN0201_zpsa418c346.jpg

I also worked on narrowing the rear axle. BADD has a nice write up on how to do it starting in post 65:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/412748-paleblues-dingo-puller-4.html

I deviated slightly in that I used a pair of 13x5x4 clutch bell bearings in place of the stock bearing with a washer. Otherwise it's a pretty slick conversion and removed 20mm per side.

Here's where I started:

DSCN0212_zps69d8132c.jpg

Here's where it ended up:

DSCN0225_zps8f0ec1cf.jpg

DSCN0226_zps35720fd0.jpg

DSCN0228_zpse5368d3e.jpg

DSCN0227_zpsba5d5859.jpg

Still to do:
Order a few different parts from MIP to get the driveshafts finalized.
Mount the electronics.
Figure out a couple of brackets to hang some weights toward the rear of the truck.
And, um, turn the rear tires back around, lol.

Last edited:
That axial trans will be perfectly fine in there. I would definitely run 32p gears though. Here is the scx10 puller I built
20140105_122852_zpsc6f637d3.jpg

The BNB Garage shop truck is ready for some shakedown runs "thumbsup"

The truck, with TLT tires/wheels, no weights, no battery, weighs in at 4.4lb. The batteries I plan to use weigh in at 11.20 oz and 11.10oz (2s/3s) and it's got 4.5lb of weights hanging on it

DSCN0205_zpsfd351c3f.jpg

I'm going to fab another weight bar in front of the rear tires so that I have options to move the weights around but for now it's at full pulling weight.

DSCN0207_zps236ab24e.jpg

DSCN0208_zps2edf6b63.jpg

DSCN0209_zps6d2aa732.jpg

The business end Rear weights JUST fit inside of the body.

DSCN0212_zps6921dea8.jpg

4wd Mod tires and wheels, 9.00lb, class limit is 10lb so I'm running a little light.

DSCN0215_zps9be03d57.jpg

Changed over to the 4wd Super Stock tire/wheel setup. Alum beadlocks with 1.9 Dick Cepek tires. They're a little heavier than the TLT setup.

DSCN0218_zpsdf7e7b27.jpg

DSCN0219_zpsc2d77912.jpg

9.80lbs, close enough to 10 for me 8)

DSCN0222_zps85c1c6b2.jpg

Not sure how that hitch will hold up , but the rest of it is looking very good , nice body .
Big pull here for us next weekend ,I will be working on mine during the week

Can't wait to see it finished and hear how well it pulls. I'm thinking about doing a similar build.

The LHS had their first event yesterday and the truck did alright. It had rained on and off throughout the night and all morning but they had the track covered with some EZ-Ups which did a pretty good job protecting the surface. It was still kind of gumbo and far from ideal. The 2wd trucks were having a hard time getting the sled moving but the 4wd trucks did okay. I came with the truck setup to run 4wd stock and mod. That meant I had my 3800kv motor in and enough weight to be legal for both classes. I found out there was not going to be a stock class so I was under motored (3800kv vs 7700kv) and a pound under weight (9.00lb, 10lb max). But truly I have no complaints as it brought home 2nd place against a pair of Termytes with no tweaking from my baseline setup.

The biggest problem I had was with the rear driveshaft. Even running MIP drivelines I knew I was pushing my luck due to the extreme operating angles. The first run (the run in the video) I had 4wd the entire run. The second run, the rear driveshaft came loose at the transmission output and on the third run I scattered the joint at the rear axle. Thankfully it was about a foot past the finish line "thumbsup"

My plan is to use some 1.5" x .125" alum strap and build a transmission carrier to center the outputs and, hopefully, lower the transmission some to alleviate the operating angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpnsaN8J1k

Thanks to travis c. I now have a pair of Grip-Fab Aluminum Spools. Time to add a little more insurance to the rear axle "thumbsup" Our next pull is this Sunday, I'm leaving the 3800kv Castle motor in (class limit is 7700kv) to see how the driveshafts hold up before I throw more power at it. So far we've only had the one (rain shortened) event so I'm still feeling the truck out.

DSCN0014_zps9c692b84.jpg

DSCN0020_zpsc63f3ce7.jpg

DSCN0023_zps72d017f7.jpg

DSCN0024_zpsda179c1a.jpg

The LHS had their July Truck and Tractor Pull yesterday and the BNB Garage Shop Truck did great. No problems from the rear driveshaft and the Grip Fab locker is still tight as can be. I made it into a 2 truck pull-off at 65lbs and lost to a Termyte truck by a few inches. By the next pull (Aug 9) I'd like to get my 7700kv motor installed (class limit) so I'm matching the other trucks for power. I'm still running the 3800kv as I didn't want to go up in power w/o being sure the drivetrain would hold together. I also noticed that I'm the only truck running un-cut tires. I may have to do something about that "thumbsup" What good is an update w/o pics:

DSCN0077_zpsee718772.jpg

DSCN0082_zps66c747f3.jpg

DSCN0091_zps0fd022f6.jpg

DSCN0092_zps7fdd2628.jpg

DSCN0107_zpsb4d8488b.jpg

The watering was a little heavy between rounds. Fortunately the Trail Truck class cleaned the track off for us, lol.

DSCN0083_zps8615ab21.jpg

well done and cool truck, i once went to a tractor pull in the country, it gets pretty hardcore :D

RC pulling is sweet. Those videos of the twin engine'd nitro ones are awesome, though I will always prefer to run electric myself. Looks like a fun time!

We had the first Wy State Championship and Super Pull today and the truck did a great job. My friend Ryan did an really nice job cutting my tires for me and it greatly increased the bite. Due to other obligations I didn't make time to swap in the 7700kv motor and ran with the 3800 that was still in it. I was the only non-Termyte truck in a field of 11 trucks and finished in 7th place.

https://www.facebook.com/events/333...2972691/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_mall_activity

Back