• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor Suggestions for SSD TK

MyFairLadyZ

Recently ordered an SSD TK. What battery, motor and pinion are you using for your SSD TK?

Ill be using a Hobbywing ESC with a 3S battery and I need to figure out what size and turn motor I should pair it with? At first I wanted to go with a 550 size but it seems that this may cause fitment issues with the SSD TK? I will be using this rig mainly on trails with some rock crawling, I prefer more torque and control over speed but I also don't want it to be a slug.. Any input would be appreciated.

I am running a 540 can 16T 5-slot motor on a 3cell. I have not tried, but it looks like a 550 can motor will fit.

I am running a 540 can 16T 5-slot motor on a 3cell. I have not tried, but it looks like a 550 can motor will fit.

I am running the same combo on stock 16t pinion. 3s with a fusion 2:1 Esc/Rx.
The 550 fits, but hits the upper axle link mount, some careful trimming may resolve this issue.

I have a 540 13t HH Crawlmaster Expert in mine. Stock pinion which I think is 16t. A 540 is fine since it's a light truck.

I really wanted to try a 550 but maybe Ill just have to go with a 540 5 slot motor with lower turns. Like someone said.. it is a light truck afterall. My other concern is.. I have no experience with the HW 1080 ESC and it says on 3S its limited to 16T. Will running a 13T or 12T be an issue? I do see quite a few people running 13T or lower with their HW 1080. Also any other low cost crawler motors that are good besides Holmes?

That rating for the ESC is for standard 3-slot motors - 5-slot motors are lower turns for the same kv rating, not to worry.

There's really not a brushed crawler motor that is in common use that the HobbyWing 1080 can't handle.

You could go with a Reedy motor, but Holmes Hobbies really are an excellent choice, with models for all budgets.

For more of an explanation of motor turns and power equivalencies between 3-slot, 5-slot, 540-can, and 550-can - check out this link:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

I was able to fit a Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t, I forget the pinion size but I think Its on the small side of what fits.

This does require you to cut the oil pan back (I have also use the motor spacer which raises the motor cover as well as moving it forward)
l0h2J2J.jpg

The brush hood just clears the upper link mounts on the axle, getting the motor rotated so it clears is a must.

5G3gK4X.jpg

lcqZbWM.jpg

f0j2ICY.jpg

Last edited:
That rating for the ESC is for standard 3-slot motors - 5-slot motors are lower turns for the same kv rating, not to worry.

There's really not a brushed crawler motor that is in common use that the HobbyWing 1080 can't handle.

You could go with a Reedy motor, but Holmes Hobbies really are an excellent choice, with models for all budgets.

For more of an explanation of motor turns and power equivalencies between 3-slot, 5-slot, 540-can, and 550-can - check out this link:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

Great.. good to know the HW 1080 shouldn't have any problems running a lower turn motor.

Those pics really help.. 550 definitely fits with minor adjustments.

I had a HH 550 CrawlMaster Sport 12T and it hit the center link mount on full compression. I switched to a 540 CrawlMaster Sport 16T and it works great. I think the 550 can only hit it on the empty side of the link mount so it could be trimmed if you wanted.

So if its a sealed 550 can it will hit.. I think for insurance sake Ill just pick up a 540 5 slot motor.. that should work just fine for now.

Yeah the reason my 550 motor fit was because the brush hoods on rebuildable's are smaller than a sealed can.

Ive got a HH crawlmaster sport 13t 550 in mine. It barely hits the upper link mount at full compression. But how often are u goina bottom out the suspension on both sides at the same time? Raising one side or the other, theres plenty enuf room to cycle the suspension.

As for the HH crawlmaster sport 13t 550, seems a bit to slow to me. Cant remember wat pinion im runnin, but the motor doesnt even get warm to the touch. It creeps great, just not much wheels speed to bump up a ledge. Thinkin maybe goin with a trailmaster sport 21t or 27t. Maybe swap motors with my scx10.2, it has a trailmaster sport 27t...

I used the HW AXE/3300kv combo. Fit right in with no issues. install choose pinion and go. I run on a 3s 3300mah pack on a side rail.
TK kit with RC4WD Blazer Body. 3300 moves it very slow, and not quite as fast as a Trx in 2nd gear but close.

Good setup impo.

IMG-20200624-201518290-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Has everyone tried to do something to reduce the noise from the transmission? I feel like this is by far my loudest rig lol

Has everyone tried to do something to reduce the noise from the transmission? I feel like this is by far my loudest rig lol

No, its not that loud for me and definitely not my loudest.

It may be due in part to the metal motor plate and all metal gears (metal on metal)

You might check your gear mesh and also make sure the pinion set screw isn't contacting the spur gear.

I also get gear noise, nothing terrible, just the sound of a good gear mesh on a multi gear setup.

HW AXE/3300 comb0 (V1) still going strong.

Back