• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor spins, driveshafts do not...

engine7design

I just got my Axial Wraith RTR and after a charge, I set her down, pulled the trigger and it sorta moved two inches and now appears the drive shafts aren't connected to the motor because it just runs but nothing is going to the axles. Any thoughts? Take it all apart and connect something?

Last edited:
A few things could be happening.

- The slipper clutch is loose
- The pinion is loose
- The motor backed away from spur gear

Sent from my HTC POS tablet using Tapatalk 2

check to make sure the set screws on the drive shafts are tight they can come loose and then no drive, check both ends (at the transmission and at the axles), some locktite will help to keep em tight​

check to make sure the set screws on the drive shafts are tight they can come loose and then no drive, check both ends (at the transmission and at the axles), some locktite will help to keep em tight​

Not on the Wraith, unless the pins themselves fell out... The Wraith uses set screw pins, similar to Traxxas. As where other Axial products used just set screws.

You have to put it in gear, it is in neutral. The little shifter between the seats, move that up and to the left. LOL

Seriously though. My guess would be the set screw in the pinion being loose. Look at the motor and the gears Under the black gear cover. If the motor is moving/spinning but the gears are not then it is the set screw in the little gear (pinion). If the gears outside of the trans are moving but the driveshafts are not then it is either the pin that the slipper clutch/spur gear sit on is broken or a gear inside the trans is stripped. If the driveshafts are spinning but the wheels/tires are not then it is in the axle differential. Doubtful for both front and rear to go like that. My honest guess would be the small pinion gear that mounts to the motor. There is a tiny set screw in it that holds it to the output shaft of the motor. There is a flat spot on this shaft and that is where you want to tighten the set screw onto. You can use some thread lock to help hold it. Be carefull though not to over tighten it. Many of those pinion gears are aluminum and can strip the threads that the pinion set screw goes into. The set screws are typically steel and the gear will strip first. Hard to describe how tight, but compare it to putting a cap back on a bottle of soda in the fridge. How tight you would make it so the carbonation doesn't get out. Not tighten like it was a wheel lugnut on your vehicle tight.

Good luck!"thumbsup"

My guess would be the set screw in the pinion being loose.

X'2

Axial seemingly missed tightening the pinion set screw on 95% of the RTR Wraiths. Easy fix and as stated above.... remember a dab of Loc-Tite."thumbsup"

Welcome to RCCrawler!!!

Don't forget to feed us all some pictures occasionally, we all love a few good pictures :)

Back