• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor questions

Rockfrog

Rock Crawler
Ok, having read through the motor stickies and searching for answers ... I'm still at a loss for an answer.
1. I have a little Cliff Climber I've been tinkering with and I'm trying to find a motor that works at a lower voltage than 14.4v ...
My original post in the CC forum section -
"OK, so, since I switched to the Tamiya RS380's I have POWER! and lots of it. As in hit the throttle and it's four wheels spinning and giving my buggy a run for the money.
Using the 8 cell 9.6v pack ... stall doesn't exist, but then neither does slow crawling.
With a 6 cell 7.2v pack I get good power and slightly slower speeds but the rear is stalling again.
I was just thinking ... what if I were to say ... switch the cans and use the stock magnet/can with the tamiya guts? Anyone know anything about motors? Just wondering as the stock motors seem to have stronger magnets in it.
Then begs the question ... would I just be pushing the voltage requirements back up to 14.4v again?
Hopefully my 9t pinions will be in when I get home and we'll see how that changes things.
Meh!, maybe I should just leave it as is and make it a racer/trail runner insted of a crawler."
Is this possible?

2. I have an old Marui Ninja 4wd buggy I'm resurrecting ...
I have an old trinity Monster Horsepower 27T Stock motor and a 16t 32P pinion on it. 7.2V 6 cell 4600mAh pack. The motor gets smoking hot after about a 5 minute test run, to the point it's too hot to touch. The DTX intellispeed ESC has an 18T limit but it has thermalled out once already. It's doing fine though and working as it should ... could this one just be to small a pinion? perhaps going up to a 24T perhaps? The motor is probably running close to full out is my guess. Am I right?

Thanks for any and all help/advice

Last edited:
I'm gonna low ride the 'rokee and the wife's TJ and hang in parking lots rolling on 13" wire spokes.
Here I can crawl for the price of a 35x12.50 .... but that's all off topic.
Besides ... aren't you a buthead? 8)

Can anyone help with some insight to these issues>?

The Cliff Climber one I've given up on attempting and will go a different route ... but, as for the Motor in the buggy getting hot ... am I on the right track there? Should I say jump up to a 22-24T pinion? Slow the motor down somewhat, so it's not winding out all the time.

If the motor's getting too hot, you need to try a smaller pinion or a larger spur. Electric motors are perfectly happy running flat out (within reason), it's labouring with tall gearing that they don't like.
If you are using the stock gearing, maybe something in the drive train is binding, putting too much load on the motor?

Wish I could give ya some insight on this Frog but I dont know much about the CC. As far as going to a smaller pinion that would slow it down normally..........:?

Back