• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor overheating problems in SCX10III

dtb01

Hello All,

THE ISSUE:
I was recently crawling with my scx10III bronco with stock electronics (spektrum 2in1 receiver/esc, dynamite 35t motor, 30c discharge spektrum lipo battery), on 3s lipo, and the motor started overheating and smoking. This burn out seemed completely random given that I was not driving hard at all, just doing a short climb and I had the throttle limit switch on the remote was set at 75% or 50%. The car had done several much longer, steeper, and more intense crawls in the weeks previous, and no weight, gearing or electronic mods were done to the truck between those runs and the one where the motor started smoking. I let the motor cool off for a while until it was just barely warm to the touch, and it drove back down fine. I figured the motor had just burned out, so I bought a new tekin 35t motor and removed the fake engine cover for better airflow, but the same issue of it overheating continued, not to the point that it was smoking, but I kept checking the temp on the motor and it would get to hot to touch. also no binding / crazy resistance in the drive line.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED
When it was overheating, I felt the esc, battery, and battery wires and everything felt cool to the touch. The wires from the esc to motor were cool on the esc side but hot where it connected to the motor. It does not get hot as fast running on 2s, but still does when going up hills for an extended period of time.

MY THEORIES
-I am wondering if there is some programing I can do on the esc to fix it. I have adjusted the ESC parameters slightly, but really just upping the drag break, and the punch.

-Maybe having the throttle limit set at the remote is hard on it? My buddy has been driving it and is a beginner so I set it at 50 or 75% so that he has a little more throttle control, but it never overheated when I drive it, and I always drive it set at 100%

-Oh also, I recently set all the end points on the receiver. Is is possible that if setting the throttle end points wrong could cause this issue?

-Also my drag break seemed to not be working very well, and I crawl with group so I am sometimes holding the throttle a little bit while stopped to keep the car from rolling backwards down a hill. Would this be a potential cause for my overheating?

At this point I am at a loss, considering that the problem occurred for seemingly no reason. Please give any insights to what you think is the issue or tests I can do to diagnose it. Or what I can do to fix it. I cannot afford to get a whole bunch of new electronics at the moment (had some unexpected expenses and waiting on paycheck), and would like to use it for the next few weeks if there is a temporary fix I can do.

Thanks for your help, and let me know if there is any additional information or you need or questions you have/

Last edited:
I can say for certain that once you smoke a motor the damage is done and permanent. It burns the coating on the wires, letting the individual strands touch each other. It will continue to work but it will over heat fast, it will need to be replaced.

While the motor is out I would check to see if the truck rolls freely, it shouldn't have much resistance. Your throttle limit isn't going to have caused it nor your esc settings. You have drivetrain drag or you got bound up hard and tried to throttle out and it didn't move for a bit would be me guess. I guess you could have got a defective motor as well, but then stock brushed motors never seen to last long for me.

Last edited:
Back