• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor ESC Connector

soapman

Hi. I was wondering of its possible to use terminal block as the motor and esc connector?
So far i only found others taking about esc and battery connector.
General people uses 4mm bullet connector. Was wondering if its makes a difference to use terminal blocks that are rated 30A?
I am using a 550 brushed motor and hobbywing 1080 with deans plug for the battery

Would it work? Certainly......conductivity is conductivity.

Also, most terminal blocks are not designed for wet conditions though.

What's wrong with a deans or xt60?? What are we missing here?

I just setup another new one - 4mm brass plugs for the motor, and additional pigtails for the HH servo. And I can't solder worth a $hit. LOL

OnTheTrail said:
Would it work? Certainly......conductivity is conductivity.

Also, most terminal blocks are not designed for wet conditions though.
oh yea, never thought about wet condition. TQ!

What's wrong with a deans or xt60?? What are we missing here?

I just setup another new one - 4mm brass plugs for the motor, and additional pigtails for the HH servo. And I can't solder worth a $hit. LOL

never actually seen people used those for motor connection yet, so now, perhaps i will go with the XT connectors.

But, does the type and size of connector matter for motor connection? Do I have to weigh in the motor/esc current rating?

But, does the type and size of connector matter for motor connection? Do I have to weigh in the motor/esc current rating?

Any of the common battery connectors would be more than suffice for an ESC-to-motor connector (Deans / XT 60 / EC3) , assuming you get at least a mediocre solder joint.

Any of the common battery connectors would be more than suffice for an ESC-to-motor connector (Deans / XT 60 / EC3) , assuming you get at least a mediocre solder joint.
sorry i am still confused, i am looking to get the xt60, but they are rated for 30-60A.

Does this bottleneck my ESC (80A/400A) and motor (62-96A)?
Am I to get connectors that handle up tp 400A? Even the xt90 are like 120A?

Not sure I understand how these current ratings work.

You're fine with the connectors mentioned. Not sure which 80amp ESC you're looking at but for example the VERY popular Hobbywing 1080 comes right out of the box with an XT60 connector on the battery input side so they spec the XT60. Now keep in mind that the battery side (and its connector) has the absolute most draw in the system as it will handle the motor, the servos, additional lights, the Rx power and maybe a winch for instance. Since the XT60 is okay for all of this, then it certainly will be fine for the required current flow from the ESC to the motor. Make sense?

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-El...keywords=hobbywing+1080&qid=1634036132&sr=8-1

You're fine with the connectors mentioned. Not sure which 80amp ESC you're looking at but for example the VERY popular Hobbywing 1080 comes right out of the box with an XT60 connector on the battery input side so they spec the XT60. Now keep in mind that the battery side (and its connector) has the absolute most draw in the system as it will handle the motor, the servos, additional lights, the Rx power and maybe a winch for instance. Since the XT60 is okay for all of this, then it certainly will be fine for the required current flow from the ESC to the motor. Make sense?

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-El...keywords=hobbywing+1080&qid=1634036132&sr=8-1

the one i got came with the T deans plug, but yeah, it makes sense. i'll just go with the xt60 for connection on the motor, and later down the road swap out the battery one. Kinda scared if it blows up or leaks. Might go to a shop to do it xD

Yes, any good RC shop will solder connections for you for a fee.
XT60 is fine for 1/10 crawler, as is deans or ec3. When you get up to 1/8 scale or bigger, 6s packs, you might see XT90's. These short leads and connectors provide plenty of conductivity for the current draw seen on these rigs.

Yes, any good RC shop will solder connections for you for a fee.
XT60 is fine for 1/10 crawler, as is deans or ec3. When you get up to 1/8 scale or bigger, 6s packs, you might see XT90's. These short leads and connectors provide plenty of conductivity for the current draw seen on these rigs.
great! thanks so much for the replies everyone "thumbsup"

Just go with a XT60 setup both ways. Best connection. Guys use mt60’s (3-pole ‘xt60’s) on their brushless rigs. Phase will always be right with motor changes, if you wire accordingly every time…

Only problem with a connector instead of a 4mm bullet on a brushed setup is the issue of quickly reversing your motor. If you run a rebuildable you can just rotate the end bell 180 degrees to reverse the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only problem with a connector instead of a 4mm bullet on a brushed setup is the issue of quickly reversing your motor. If you run a rebuildable you can just rotate the end bell 180 degrees to reverse the can.

i actually got my ESC cap popped doing this. But i am not sure if its because i reversed the polarity (+ve motor lead to -ve ESC lead) or because of the fact that i did not secure it with a shrink tube.

So the leads were touching each other, causing a spark perhaps? Hence popping my ESC. :mrgreen:

i actually got my ESC cap popped doing this. But i am not sure if its because i reversed the polarity (+ve motor lead to -ve ESC lead) or because of the fact that i did not secure it with a shrink tube.

So the leads were touching each other, causing a spark perhaps? Hence popping my ESC. :mrgreen:

You probably had a short, yes. Shrink tube every exposed wire connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably had a short, yes. Shrink tube every exposed wire connection.
Ah okay, that explains it. Thanks.

Also, another question regarding waterproof. I see in some rtr crawlers, they used 4mm bullet connectors for motor and deans for their lipos.

If I were to follow the same route, would I also get waterproof, considering I am using waterproof motor and esc. Would my electronics get shorted when I enter the water?

Still cant see how it is waterproof, wont water get in between the connectors? Especially deans?

Back