• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Mamba X weak drag brake

Taper

Quarry Creeper
Hello,

I run this esc with 1406 4600kv, MAMBA X, 25.2V WP SENSORED ESC AND 1406-4600KV COMBO castle motor in my wraith with 87/14 spur/pinion and stock diff ratios, and the car rolls in almost any ramp, I must need to move the steering to try to hold the car to prevent rolling.

I just connect esc to castle link and the drag is set to 100% and Aux wire is not connected.

Is possible to solve this?

Thanks!!!

If I remember correctly it has more to do with your motor and gearing. Geared to go slow helps the drag brake function. I don't remember the particulars with the motor part, something like a larger rotor and or a stronger magnet ones work better. (Dont quote me on that)

Do the firmware upgrade if you have not already. Then, play around with the drag brake ramping feature. The Mamba-X has one of the best drag brakes out there. Short of an actual issue with the ESC, you should be able to dial it in. You will likely see a bit less with the higher kv rating though.

Hello,

I run this esc with 1406 4600kv, MAMBA X, 25.2V WP SENSORED ESC AND 1406-4600KV COMBO castle motor in my wraith with 87/14 spur/pinion and stock diff ratios, and the car rolls in almost any ramp, I must need to move the steering to try to hold the car to prevent rolling.

I just connect esc to castle link and the drag is set to 100% and Aux wire is not connected.

Is possible to solve this?

Thanks!!!

I have a SCX10ii with 1.9 rockbeasts, my son a wraith with 2.2 rockbeasts, both have the same gearing(same trans, same diff, same spur, same pinion, different tires so different final gearing) and the same mamba x and motor combination.

Mines holds like a beast, his is definitely less. Tried figuring it out, gave up, had to put 1.9 tires on the wraith all the sudden the drag brake is equal to my scx10II

Do the firmware upgrade if you have not already. Then, play around with the drag brake ramping feature. The Mamba-X has one of the best drag brakes out there. Short of an actual issue with the ESC, you should be able to dial it in. You will likely see a bit less with the higher kv rating though.

I upgrade the firmware today and drag is the same

I upgrade the firmware today and drag is the same

See the sentence in bold print... "thumbsup"

And watch this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6wvH4A_VqTs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok that video had nothing to do with drag brake. Yes you may need to play with the settings but like Poconoscale experienced gearing makes a difference. And I'm sure I watched a different Holmes video that was more in depth on what makes a good drag brake, but I can seem to find it on a quick search.

My bet is on the motor, its not a crawler motor and not recommended for crawling (crawler motors have stronger magnet and are designed to provide a more effective drag brake).

Here what they recommend for this motors applications:
1/10th scale touring cars, buggies and stadium trucks up to a 3s LiPo. It can also be used in a 1/10th scale 2WD Short Course Truck on 2s LiPo and geared conservatively. NOT for use in 4WD short course trucks.

So this motor is really meant for bashing and racing not crawling. If you truly want a stronger drag break its time to look into a crawler specific motor. Holmes Hobbies is where I'd look first personally.

Last edited:
If I swap the motor for one Holmes Puller Pro or one Trailmaster, both 4500kv, the drag brake will be stronger than castle 1406?

If I swap the motor for one Holmes Puller Pro or one Trailmaster, both 4500kv, the drag brake will be stronger than castle 1406?
Either should...but, why do you need such a powerful motor in a crawler? With the exception of one of my vehicles, none of them, including my off-road & on-road racers, user anything that powerful...even on 2S.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Agreed. 4500kv is overkill for a crawler, even one used more as a “basher”. Just my .02 cents.

Now I run this motor with 2s, the other option is buy holmes Puller Pro Stubby 3300kv with 3s and geardown to maintan wheel speed.

Will this swap fix drag brake issue?

Now I run this motor with 2s, the other option is buy holmes Puller Pro Stubby 3300kv with 3s and geardown to maintan wheel speed.

Will this swap fix drag brake issue?

That should improve your drag brake a good deal, I've always got more drag brake than I needed from Holmes Hobbies motors.

I would personally go for the standard length puller instead of the stubby for a Wraith if its the old 2.2 Wraith, if its the new 1.9 the stubby is fine.

As for the gearing, voltage and maintaining wheelspeed goes I would start with just the HH motor and feel it out from there. Upping the voltage and adjusting gearing should in theory put you at the same speed and not change the drag brake much if at all.

Typically, the larger/longer your can size, the more drag brake - while I apologize for throwing up the wrong Holmes video (can't remember the name of the one where he goes in depth about it either) the video I posted is a must watch for your first setup of a Castle Creations ESC for crawling.

If you're running a small-ish, lighter rig a Stubby is great, but for a Wraith I'd also definitely get a Standard 540 Puller Pro.

(I'll tell ya what gives GREAT drag brake... the Holmes Hobbies Revolver! I run my 1800kv in a very overbuilt and heavy Bomber on 3S or sometimes 4S, it sticks like glue)

Last edited:
That should improve your drag brake a good deal, I've always got more drag brake than I needed from Holmes Hobbies motors.

I would personally go for the standard length puller instead of the stubby for a Wraith if its the old 2.2 Wraith, if its the new 1.9 the stubby is fine.

As for the gearing, voltage and maintaining wheelspeed goes I would start with just the HH motor and feel it out from there. Upping the voltage and adjusting gearing should in theory put you at the same speed and not change the drag brake much if at all.

I say stubby because is the unique HH motor with 3300kv, with 3s I maintain the wheel speed.

My wraith is old 2.2 rig.

The other option, but expensive, will be swap the combo for one Axe Foc 3300 550. Drag brake is insane

I try to change pinion and spur to 12/90 with 2s, and if not enough then I will swap the motor.

Thank you guys!!!

Back