• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Mamba X Aux Wire

DRED805

Rock Crawler
Does anybody actually use it?

I've heard of people using it to turn off the drag brake, but I don't see any reason to do that. I've got 3 mambas and I haven't bothered trying to use it on any of them.

Any suggestions on how to get some use out of it?

Adjustable drag brake is what I use most often and the rock race/crawler mode is amazing on silly fast crawler setups.

The adjustable drag brake was more handy in the past before drag brake ramp and active freewheeling.

EDIT: I should explain rock race /crawler mode, this allows you to switch between 2 or 3 different drag brake levels (or none at all) and change the way the brake/reverse mode operates. Crawler mode is just like it sounds drag brake and instant reverse. In rock race mode there is no instant reverse and when you go into reverse theres brakes like a basher or racing RC. I have two 15-20 mph crawlers and without this mode they end up doing front flips when letting off the throttle.

Last edited:
I use it the white wire on a couple rigs to control drag braking. The GT5 controller has an adjustment knob that makes adjusting the braking force pretty handy. On the TRX4 in high gear its 15+ MPH and turning off the drag brake makes it a better trail machine. On the pure crawlers, its also helpful on long downhills to help adjust decent.

I like it for the drag brake adjustment. I use it so much that I'm trying to find a quality transmitter to use on a new build that has 5 usable channels.

It's nice to have the adjustable drag for trail use. Walk about a mile to the fun stuff with the drag brake low or off and then crank it up for the rocks and hills, then lower it again between technical spots. It's quite useful.

I use it. I'm using the Radiolink V2 for the adjustment knob. Kind of a bulky transmitter but I like it and it's got a few toggle switches (one I use for winch). Like previously mentioned, the aux wire is a nice feature to utilize when you're mixing it up with trailing and crawling.

Using it for adjusting drag brake force with the potentiometer in my RC6GS, but like HumboldtEF said above, after the introduction of drag brake ramp I rarely need to adjust the drag brake while running anymore

I use this on my bomber and it's excellent. Yesterday I went from slow crawling through a creek bed trail in the woods, to racing around the 1/8 scale buggy track at the touch of a button.

On a straight crawler, maybe not as useful. On a faster, dual purpose rig it's awesome. I would think on a trail truck it would be good as well for when you hit more technical terrain and want the extra control.

Used a Y harnes and tied it in with the 3rd channel on a TRX4... low gear gets drag brake, high gear does not. Works out really well.

I like being able to adjust the drag brake according to conditions.

Eventually I'll be smart enough to use it for this fancy rock racer mode I keep hearing about.

Also would like to use it with the torque limiter function for 2wd short course drag racing on dirt.

Agreed. I had to go back and read a little more closely after seeing the discussion about adjusting the drag brake. Switched ch3 on my 4PM to the dial instead of a switch so I'll give that a try soon. Sounds like up to 10% it'll stay fwd/brk/rev. Over that it's in crawler mode (fwd/rev) with the drag increasing through the range up to 100%

Thanks guys. I learned something new today. Lol

Sounds like up to 10% it'll stay fwd/brk/rev. Over that it's in crawler mode (fwd/rev) with the drag increasing through the range up to 100%

Thanks guys. I learned something new today. Lol

A few pointers, make sure you set the reverse type to frw/brk/rev as rock rack/crawler mode only works when set to that mode (dont use crawler reverse). Whatever you set the drag brake to (in castle link) is your crossover point, this could be 10% or whatever you want. When you increase the drag brake past this (drag brake) value you get crawler mode and instant reverse, adjust the drag brake below this value and you're in rock race mode with forward to brake to reverse (no instant reverse).

It can be tricky to setup but its worth it.

Last edited:
On the fly drag brake adjustment is my favorite thing on the x. There have been way to many times ive had to use castle link just to change drag brake setting. I also like to use it as a "parking brake" if you will

Back