• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

mad force 6x6 w/dewalt motor

mrluckies

hello everyone, I finally decided to register, I had been lurking for a while.

hopefully the photo shows up!

IMAG0931.jpg

View image in gallery

I have a bunch of spare parts that I've picked up over the years and have been thinking about doing this for a while. Most of what I built so far on this is using stock stuff. I wanted to use stock parts so it would be easy for others to copy.

The modified stuff is:

* I only had to drill two holes in one set of vertical chassis plates to be able to join them
* a few holes in one of the nitro motor plates (for the electric motor mount)
* custom make the motor mount from a 90 degree steel bracket I picked up from the hardware store
* a 6mm shaft (note: nomial diameter of 6mm is NOT 6mm. I spent an hour with a drill and sand paper trying to get the shaft to fit in the bearings!)
* a M6 binder nut drilled out to 6mm smooth and drilled and tapped for 4mm set screws to join the two shafts.
* dewalt motor modified for rc car use
* Traxxas EVX-2 esc

I used the nitro motor plates and mounts because I had them lying around and they are also offset to one side (unlike the electric version which is centered). This allowed the bigger dewalt motor to sit all the way down. Otherwise it would have had to been mounted higher up to clear the side plate and shaft.

I used the VE shaft so I could mount the slipper clutch. I then used one bronze bushing and washer from the nitro 3 spd trans between the mission mount and chain gear to keep everything spaced properly. I wanted to run two chain drives so that each axles has an independent drive shaft. As opposed to the drive shaft going through one rear axle to the other. This will allow the two rear axles to articulate independent of each other.
I hope to have more done soon.

I eventually have to get around to making a body that looks good on the chassis. I put two of my old bodies on for reference to size. but the mock up does drive! It has a Robison racing 22 tooth mod 1 pinion for now because I didn't know if the motor would clear the slipper clutch nut. But now that it's mocked up, I can put a smaller pinion on for more torque. although, the dewalt has a lot of torque! I hope to buy some crawler tires so I can run with my son's mad torque 6x6.

Back