• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Losi Micro Scale Desert Truck ... Short Course Body, Interior, Tubed Bed

nascarkeith

Rock Crawler
I have been looking at lots of different builds lately and wanted to tinker with something. Then I saw my Micro DT sitting on the shelf. I build a lot of static models so I'm used to working with styrene and I have lots of parts laying around that are about the right size for the truck. With parts in hand and an idea I got to work. Then plan is to convert this thing from short course to full on desert racer."thumbsup"

This is what I got done over the weekend.
4025461431_159e7df017_o.jpg

I had already put a The Toyz Short Course Body on the truck and painted it to match my Slash. I picked through the static model parts box and found some offroad lights. Then, I used styrene rod and sheet to fab up the bumper/light rack and make the skid plate. This set up bolts on just like the original skid.

4025461461_c5e541e9f3_o.jpg

After that, it was time to cut the bed area out of the body and start the tube work. The spare tires are 1/24 scale static model wheels/tires but they are the same size as the ones on the DT. So far the interior consists of a floorboard, seat, and the beginnings of a dash. I need to finish the dash up and at a roll cage. Once everything is finished up I am going to super glue all of the joints and add a dusting of baby powder. That is a trick I learned from static modeling. You can add baby powder or some other powder like that to super glue and get a sandable filler to strengthen joints and fill in body work.

4026214018_0904b0d1c0_o.jpg

4025461505_0a4ce31b1a_o.jpg

I had a chance to drive it as it sits. I was afraid the added weight would slow it down but if anything it just seems to give it more traction.

Looks good. Do you think the styrene will hold up in a high speed crash?

Nice trick with the baby powder. Will have to try that one.

Looks good. Do you think the styrene will hold up in a high speed crash?

Nice trick with the baby powder. Will have to try that one.

I guess that is the million dollar question that we will one day have an answer to.:mrgreen:

Given the scale I think it will do fine. The front bumper set up seems really strong and I plan on triangulating the cage wherever I can just like you would with a 1:1 or brake line on a 1:10 so I think it will hold up ok.

I got some more work done.

Flipped the wheels to widen the track and fill the fenders a little better.
4033749340_7abce4fb41_o.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the chassis and how the tube work mounts. It just sits on the rear body post.
4033749064_16bbf8cb28_o.jpg

4033748848_d16b224aeb_o.jpg

4032996941_694d7576a4_o.jpg

I was also working on my Slash this afternoon (had to replace the front skid plate) so I snapped a pic while they were sitting on the workbench together.
4033749516_900083fdbe_o.jpg

So far this has been a fun little build. Let me know what you think.

I had some time to work on R/C stuff this weekend so I got the DT finished up. It was a fun build and I am really happy with how it turned out.
Off body shots of the chassis
DSC03652.jpg

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

DSC03655.jpg

Body on Shots
DSC03657.jpg

DSC03656.jpg

DSC03659.jpg

DSC03658.jpg

Nice job, just like it's big brother. I bet painting that little bugger was a bit of a pain.

Here are a couple of shots that I snapped outside.

DSC03684.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

DSC03686.jpg

I think the last one looks cool. Thanks for the compliments. It was a fun project."thumbsup"

Back