• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking to go wider and run 2.2s - which axles?

bdamschen

Howdy-

looking for a more sidehill stability by going wider, and thought I'd also want to try out some 2.2s on my 10.2. It's got a obviously fast 3000kv brushless in it(long story, but it's in there to stay for a bit).

Trying to decide which axles to run- either AR60s and go the whole wroncho route(wraith skid, etc) or capra portals. Kinda leaning toward the portals at this point if they'll survive big tires and high-er speeds. What says the peanut gallery?

Additional plans include longer links to stretch the wheelbase out a little and keep it from looking silly on the bigger tires.

Everybody loves pictures so this is how it currently is now:
AgcSVirh.png

ztKPhlsh.png

if it were me i would go with the capra axles
The portals will tame down that 3000kv monster
The ar60s are geared pretty high and with the 2.2s its gona be uncontrolable
In my opinion some one else might call that fun lol

Yeah go portals. Or if you run ar60s, gear down as low as you can. Always gear down as low as you can and use higher voltage and/or KV. Much better control

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Welp. I went and didn't listen to anyone because I got a good deal on some china knock off AR60s. So here's where it's currently sitting. Waiting on some gears for the diff (the china ones were junk as expected), and I need to sort drivelines.

On the other hand, I got a hold of a sensored castle motor that I don't know much about other than it says "1410-3800 kv" on it. I'm hoping it'll be more controllable than my previous motor, but I guess win will tell.

Here's how it currently sits:

GLkdAqGh.jpg

fj4SRb6h.jpg

xUuRjl9h.jpg

Last edited:
The only chance the new motor would be more controllable is if your previous motor is not sensored. If you wanted to tone it down, lower kv would have been the right move. A fusion pro 2300kv for example.

The truck looks good though

You could run an 8t 32p and 60t spur to lower the gearing and still just fit the cover back on. I have a 62 or maybe even a 64 on one of mine, and with some creative modification got the cover on. Also run some underdrive in them axles. I had that same motor in a rig, geared down as previously mentioned and it crawled incredibly slow and smooth for what it was.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Done-ish. Or at least enough to go play with it this weekend. It's more manageable than when I had the sensorless motors and smaller tires on, but I'd still like to go lower. Might look into underdrive gears front and rear and see where it goes from there.

Had to get weird with the links near the driveline, but I wanted to keep the link mounts in the stock locations, so that was what I came up with. The angles look awful, but the drivelines don't bind at all.

hAk2oUVh.jpg

3hOwt1Hh.jpg

SZ1SEOKh.jpg

NI0fJhJh.jpg

I know you said there was no binding but, since the driveshafts are are both left side drive why not flip the trans and have better angles.

Yes, for sure flip the trans or axles. 3 link and panhard the front and back!

I've been holding on to an og honcho body for a while to do a stock build. However, now that I see how wide the ar60 axles make it, I may skip the scx10.1 axles

In looking at this picture I've come to think your driveshaft angles at the axle's pumpkins might be kind of extreme and cause premature wear ?
Is that at full suspension extension ? Or will that driveshaft net even more angle ?
Maybe clock the the axle forward a bit ? (font) and rearward a bit (rear) if you hope to give them more wear longevity ?

And why do you have two different styles of driveshafts ? Momentary affordability ?
I can't tell in the picture but are they phased correctly ?

1.9" wheels ? I would have thought those were 2.2's. !?
They look to be a bigger / taller tire then a 1.9" that's for sure !

Those are the most extremely bent upper links I've ever seen in avoidance of the driveshafts.
Who made them ? Or did you bend them yourself ?
Are those AR60 axle housings ?

Mine are bent too though clearly not as extreme as yours.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtDiELCV6hC2K2fTA

Just my observations. Have fun regardless of my opinion. 8)

Last edited:
Back