• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking for a crawler to pair with my Axial Capra 4WS

Reezo

Pebble Pounder
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here, first time opening a thread. I'd like to take this chance to thank you all for the amazing help this forum has been to me in the growing passion for the hobby.

I am trying to find a 'match' for my Axial Capra 4WS. I have quite a bit of cars at the moment, and I like to think of them all in pairs, as my wife occasionally follows along. I like all sorts of RC cars, mostly crawlers and desert racers but I just love them all, as long as it's about nature, relaxing, sharing the hobby with friends and loved ones.

My garage currently has:
  • Traxxas TRX4-Sport
  • Axial UMG10 Unimog
  • 2x Class 2 comp crawlers with carbon chassis (a Creep and a Cliffhanger in terms of bodies)
  • LOSI Lasernut
  • LOSI Hammer Rey
  • Axial Wraith
  • Axial Bomber
  • Axial Capra 4WS

And I am missing a pair for the Capra. I do enjoy the Capra on mixed terrain, not necessarily just purely-technical rocks. My area has actually more wood trails than naked hard rocks, so I am OK with using the Capra in more of a woodland/trail laidback scenario. The 4WS is nice but I don't revolve all around it, for this rig, I have a tendency to not engage it until 'that moment' in which it's really going to decide it, but it's a nice feature to have at hand.

I have upgraded the Capra with a lowered stance (I had a pair of Desert Lizards I have set for front-droop and half-droop in the rear), AM32 ESC running 4S on outrunners, separate BEC with a Savox servo (running stock servo in the rear, so far so good), 2.2 beadlocks and 1.9 Voodoo tires. It's a fun rig, still requires skills but it is really capable.

Given this background, I wanted to add something that looks 'on par' without necessarily being looking identical. I would like it to have Dig, to counter the 4WS but have something different, and it shouldn't necessarily look in the same category.

I have my eyes on:

• Wraith 1.9, which I could mod to a fastback with some custom panels to give it more of an aggressive, streamlined look (but boy do I love the way it looks stock)
  • Wraith 2.2, if I do this I would like to narrow the axles at least to the width of the Capra's, do a fastback mod and shorten the weelbase to match the Capra's (not sure how far it is), but I am unsure if the cage will look off in size compared to the Capra's, so I am more leaning for a 1.9 Wraith, also because the 2.2 has a different interior style than the Capra and I'd like something like the Capra or 1.9 Wraith have, just simple molded figures
  • GMade GOM, yes it would seem to be technically a good match for the Capra but I don't like it as much as the other options
  • Vanquish H10 Optic, looking amazing, basically has the look of what I'd like my 1.9 Wraith to turn into, but it would be the only Vanquish RC I have and I am scared about spare parts, availability of upgrades etc. - I have this feeling a trusty 1.9 Wraith modded right will outperform it until I drop a lot of money on the Optic. Looks-wise probably the sexiest. Not sure how bigger/smaller than the Capra 4WS it is
  • Axial Honcho, kind of a different thing but very capable, I have always liked it but it would feel more of a match for my TRX-4 and UMG10 than for the Capra, maybe this is a tad too far (still an amazing rig)
  • Axial SCX10 III Basecamp Builder's Kit with some kind of body on it, something with the style of the H10 Optic would be amazing but I don't know of anything close to it, so if you have any idea I'd be all ears. I am not sure - technically - how an SCX10 III baseline will work against the 1.9 Wraith, which is older but definiteley proven - there might be someone in the area selling a new kit so I decided to put this in the list as well, as it could be an option, but it depends mostly on performance out of the box, upgrade potential and - yes don't laugh - the look of the body I put on it ;)
  • Vaterra Twin Hammers, same deal as the GMade GOM, looks cool but, I am not too fond of the whole platform from what I have seen

I'd love to hear what you think and thanks again for the great place!

As someone with a 1.9 Wraith as my main rig, and building a 2.2 Wraith, the H10 Optic excites me! The aftermarket for the optic seems like it'll pick up fantastically, and Vanquish as a company seems amazing and hassle free with spare/replacement parts

My Wraith 1.9 has a few mods; it's basically an SCX10-2 with a cage instead of a body so parts are plentiful

My 2.2 Wraith is being built with SCX10 axles for narrower width, and It'll see (big) 1.9 tires

I'd love to find a Twin Hammers but it seems the truck, and some upgrades are very difficult to find these days

My overall reaction is the H10 optic seems to be the front runner, but time will tell about spare parts/etc... I'd still buy one

it sounds like its time for a custom build if you ask me lol

I totally agree, I can smell the custom build in the air and I think the way I phrased my opening post makes it kinda clear. I am in for that 'nothing fits unless I make it".

With this angle, a Wraith 1.9 or 2.2, narrowed AR60 axles, Proline Jeep body cut, fastback, 1.9 tires with maybe 2.2 rims and dual stage foams, dig transmission, Capra molded plastic interior and drivers... it could work...

As someone with a 1.9 Wraith as my main rig, and building a 2.2 Wraith, the H10 Optic excites me! The aftermarket for the optic seems like it'll pick up fantastically, and Vanquish as a company seems amazing and hassle free with spare/replacement parts

My Wraith 1.9 has a few mods; it's basically an SCX10-2 with a cage instead of a body so parts are plentiful

My 2.2 Wraith is being built with SCX10 axles for narrower width, and It'll see (big) 1.9 tires

I'd love to find a Twin Hammers but it seems the truck, and some upgrades are very difficult to find these days

My overall reaction is the H10 optic seems to be the front runner, but time will tell about spare parts/etc... I'd still buy one

Grob you are indeed right, it's a fact that Vanquish deliver, in terms of upgrades and parts, and I cannot see how, with other companies as well, there cannot be an abundance of parts. Thanks for chiming in, as I don't have a Wraith (1.9 nor 2.2) you see how I am itching for one, but you have one and it's clearly giving me perspective... I think the Wraith fixes my need for wrenching and making the next rig a bit more custom... while the Optic would be almost as it is... nothing bad with it but it won't fix the itch of garage bench time.

Ideas ideas! I have seen some amazing 1.9 and 2.2 being built in Wraith land, I am still unsure: for a custom project, would you go from 1.9 UP or from 2.2 DOWN? Which baseline would be a better start? I am probably not seeing that each baseline will offer different destinations. I hope what I wrote makes sense.

Ive built several cars around the wraith trans (or just regular 3 gear) and ar60 style axles. IMO I don't think the ar60 is suited to smaller than around 5.5" tires. Shorter than that and you'll likely be dragging the diffs through everything. Narrowing the ar60 seems like a lot of effort when there are loads of ready made options with various narrower widths. If you want ar60s and a little narrower, look at negative offset wheels to bring it in a bit.

Last consideration on building on a discontinued platform, it's getting a bit more sparse on parts availability for wraith stuff. You can still find things, but compared to even 2-3 years ago, it's much less than it used to be.

I'll toss another vote to the h10. The cage looks great, the axles are a bit wider than common 1.9 stuff but not to wraith width, and the parts and platform should be supported for a long time.

Ive built several cars around the wraith trans (or just regular 3 gear) and ar60 style axles. IMO I don't think the ar60 is suited to smaller than around 5.5" tires. Shorter than that and you'll likely be dragging the diffs through everything. Narrowing the ar60 seems like a lot of effort when there are loads of ready made options with various narrower widths. If you want ar60s and a little narrower, look at negative offset wheels to bring it in a bit.

Last consideration on building on a discontinued platform, it's getting a bit more sparse on parts availability for wraith stuff. You can still find things, but compared to even 2-3 years ago, it's much less than it used to be.

I'll toss another vote to the h10. The cage looks great, the axles are a bit wider than common 1.9 stuff but not to wraith width, and the parts and platform should be supported for a long time.

Thank you, bgredjeep. What you wrote makes a lot of sense, they are valid elements to consider. I instinctively think either 1.9 Wraith with some custom job (not totally overhauled but there) or H10. I want to rationally fight this "it's new = it's the coolest thing ever = just because it's new" but

I am keeping an eye on myself as I fear that - once the 1.9 Wraith project wears out on me - I'll be itching for the H10. Not that it will ever stop, this is kinda normal, but looking at the Capra, the H10 seems a cool companion for their adventures.

Nothing to say against a Wraith 1.9 beauty, which could be as versatile as going with the Capra or back with my TRX-4 or UMG10. Both work. Ah! The dilemma ;)

the Wraith fixes my need for wrenching and making the next rig a bit more custom... while the Optic would be almost as it is... nothing bad with it
both of my Wraiths are for wrenching (Mostly because of parts availability) and an Optic would be almost perfect as is, a runner if you will, because parts should be way easier to get

both of my Wraiths are for wrenching (Mostly because of parts availability) and an Optic would be almost perfect as is, a runner if you will, because parts should be way easier to get
Word, exactly! I am kinda thinking in the end it might boil down to chance... I am definitely going to go the 2nd-hand market route, so an H10 isn't going to be that common, or maybe... and there are plenty of Wraiths but as we all know, there is 'that one' when you see it pop up. We'll see, I won't leave it all to chance but a bit to it, for sure.

In the meantime, this thread is great to keep the ideas going!
And this forum has some of the most amazing Wraith projects (among other things) I can ever dream of making. So much inspiration.

Both Wraiths are terribly outdated. Pass on those. Also pass on the discontinued rigs. Parts support will sucks.

I'd suggest the Vanquish H10 or the Axial Ryft.

Optic 100%. For what you are describing it would suit your needs perfectly

I love mine.

Both Wraiths are terribly outdated. Pass on those. Also pass on the discontinued rigs. Parts support will sucks.

I'd suggest the Vanquish H10 or the Axial Ryft.

Optic 100%. For what you are describing it would suit your needs perfectly

I love mine.

Thank you Jato and Tedo, I have to say I agree. I would still like do a Wraith wrench project but that has nothing to do with the objective of pairing it to some Capra trail/woods/rocks adventures. The H10 seems like the perfect companion. Now, to find one second-hand in Germany, is going to be the quest ;)

Last edited:
My choice to pair with a 4ws Capra would be the UTB18 Capra. I have 2 of them and with just a few mods they are very capable.

My choice to pair with a 4ws Capra would be the UTB18 Capra. I have 2 of them and with just a few mods they are very capable.

The UTB18 is a lot of fun but I'd be looking for a 1/10 to be in the same scale as the Capra I have. The hunt is still on, I'll end up with either a GOM, a R1 or an H10.

But I have to behave after this summer... Too many expenses in sight.

If you go GOM it might be wise to buy extra diff ring gears. The Buffalo kit eats them if you drive hard or get it in s bind.

If you go GOM it might be wise to buy extra diff ring gears. The Buffalo kit eats them if you drive hard or get it in s bind.
Thanks for the advice. I am actually being very wary of parts for future maintenance, to the point where I've kept my distance from rigs I'd like but.. whose parts are hard to find, here. Good to know!

The UTB18 is a lot of fun but I'd be looking for a 1/10 to be in the same scale as the Capra I have. The hunt is still on, I'll end up with either a GOM, a R1 or an H10.

Oh I see where your heading... have you looked at the TRX4 or the SCX10.3? Both are capable trail rigs with tons of aftermarket support.

Oh I see where your heading... have you looked at the TRX4 or the SCX10.3? Both are capable trail rigs with tons of aftermarket support.

Absolutely, I do have a TRX-4 Sport and a 10.3 Gladiator, in fact. I like to think that those are more half trail trucks along with my UMG10,

Then I have a Lasernut, a Yeti and a Bomber who are more for rock racing

And then two LCG Carbon Fiber class 2 comp crawlers.

The Capra can go along with all of them, but so far doesn't have a pure companion... At least in the funny way I see it, of course.

I see what your trying to do. You might have to build something from scratch? There are lots of chassis and drive train options on the internet. All kinds of axles and wheel/tire combos. Only limited to your imagination.

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here, first time opening a thread. I'd like to take this chance to thank you all for the amazing help this forum has been to me in the growing passion for the hobby.

I am trying to find a 'match' for my Axial Capra 4WS. I have quite a bit of cars at the moment, and I like to think of them all in pairs, as my wife occasionally follows along. I like all sorts of RC cars, mostly crawlers and desert racers but I just love them all, as long as it's about nature, relaxing, sharing the hobby with friends and loved ones.

My garage currently has:
  • Traxxas TRX4-Sport
  • Axial UMG10 Unimog
  • 2x Class 2 comp crawlers with carbon chassis (a Creep and a Cliffhanger in terms of bodies)
  • LOSI Lasernut
  • LOSI Hammer Rey
  • Axial Wraith
  • Axial Bomber
  • Axial Capra 4WS

And I am missing a pair for the Capra. I do enjoy the Capra on mixed terrain, not necessarily just purely-technical rocks. My area has actually more wood trails than naked hard rocks, so I am OK with using the Capra in more of a woodland/trail laidback scenario. The 4WS is nice but I don't revolve all around it, for this rig, I have a tendency to not engage it until 'that moment' in which it's really going to decide it, but it's a nice feature to have at hand.

I have upgraded the Capra with a lowered stance (I had a pair of Desert Lizards I have set for front-droop and half-droop in the rear), AM32 ESC running 4S on outrunners, separate BEC with a Savox servo (running stock servo in the rear, so far so good), 2.2 beadlocks and 1.9 Voodoo tires. It's a fun rig, still requires skills but it is really capable.

Given this background, I wanted to add something that looks 'on par' without necessarily being looking identical. I would like it to have Dig, to counter the 4WS but have something different, and it shouldn't necessarily look in the same category.

I have my eyes on:

• Wraith 1.9, which I could mod to a fastback with some custom panels to give it more of an aggressive, streamlined look (but boy do I love the way it looks stock)
  • Wraith 2.2, if I do this I would like to narrow the axles at least to the width of the Capra's, do a fastback mod and shorten the weelbase to match the Capra's (not sure how far it is), but I am unsure if the cage will look off in size compared to the Capra's, so I am more leaning for a 1.9 Wraith, also because the 2.2 has a different interior style than the Capra and I'd like something like the Capra or 1.9 Wraith have, just simple molded figures
  • GMade GOM, yes it would seem to be technically a good match for the Capra but I don't like it as much as the other options
  • Vanquish H10 Optic, looking amazing, basically has the look of what I'd like my 1.9 Wraith to turn into, but it would be the only Vanquish RC I have and I am scared about spare parts, availability of upgrades etc. - I have this feeling a trusty 1.9 Wraith modded right will outperform it until I drop a lot of money on the Optic. Looks-wise probably the sexiest. Not sure how bigger/smaller than the Capra 4WS it is
  • Axial Honcho, kind of a different thing but very capable, I have always liked it but it would feel more of a match for my TRX-4 and UMG10 than for the Capra, maybe this is a tad too far (still an amazing rig)
  • Axial SCX10 III Basecamp Builder's Kit with some kind of body on it, something with the style of the H10 Optic would be amazing but I don't know of anything close to it, so if you have any idea I'd be all ears. I am not sure - technically - how an SCX10 III baseline will work against the 1.9 Wraith, which is older but definiteley proven - there might be someone in the area selling a new kit so I decided to put this in the list as well, as it could be an option, but it depends mostly on performance out of the box, upgrade potential and - yes don't laugh - the look of the body I put on it ;)
  • Vaterra Twin Hammers, same deal as the GMade GOM, looks cool but, I am not too fond of the whole platform from what I have seen

I'd love to hear what you think and thanks again for the great place!
Do you need a custom body ? I can help you with that

Do you have a reference image you can share?

Back