• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Lexan body with automotive paint?

TK421

Rock Crawler
The Mrs. and I just recently got a 2020 Wrangler Sahara in Bikini Pearl. I'm wanting to an new Axial JLU body color matched to our full scale. I have read that you can shoot the inside of the body with matte or flat clear, then use the Jeep touch up aerosol to get the actual color you want.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out for you?

Lou

The Mrs. and I just recently got a 2020 Wrangler Sahara in Bikini Pearl. I'm wanting to an new Axial JLU body color matched to our full scale. I have read that you can shoot the inside of the body with matte or flat clear, then use the Jeep touch up aerosol to get the actual color you want.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work out for you?

Lou
From an adhesion standpoint, that should work. The clear will stick to the lexan, and the paint will stick to the clear. Just be careful not to mix paint types. If you spray lacquer over enamel, it can cause a reaction and ruin the paint job. I don't think that any of the lexan paints are enamel though, so I don't think that should be a problem. The problem is that the jeep aerosol paint likely doesn't have the flexibility necessary to prevent it from cracking and peeling off. I'd give it a try on a piece of scrap lexan, and see how brittle it is after a couple weeks of dry time.

Last edited:
If you can find the interior paint for the color you want I’ve heard that works well. The paint that’s designed to go on the vinyl and doors inside since it will flex.

Likely going to give that a shot myself when the trail runner gets here.

Bro!! That is bad ass!! No prep at all? Just painted it like normal? Where did you source the paint?

Lou

I've used Duplicolor automotive rattle cans many times and have had no trouble, I just go over the inside of the body with a scotch brite pad after the windows are masked til it looks foggy, clean with soapy water let dry and paint."thumbsup"

I've used Duplicolor automotive rattle cans many times and have had no trouble, I just go over the inside of the body with a scotch brite pad after the windows are masked til it looks foggy, clean with soapy water let dry and paint."thumbsup"
That's good to know! Those automotive rattle cans must use a flex agent in them, which makes sense considering some of the touch-ups it's intended for may be to urethane bumper covers.

That's good to know! Those automotive rattle cans must use a flex agent in them, which makes sense considering some of the touch-ups it's intended for may be to urethane bumper covers.
I'm thinking it does have a flex agent in it, thinking back I painted a set of fender flares back in the 90s with some of the same paint I'm still using and it held up well on the plastic flares really well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bro!! That is bad ass!! No prep at all? Just painted it like normal? Where did you source the paint?

Lou

Just washing the body with soap and water. The guy that paints all my bodies for me used to be an automotive painter in a collision center. So wherever he sourced it I'm not sure. The factory paint is made by PPG and he contacted them asking about use on lexan and they said they have had good results on it. It was sprayed right out of his auto motive gun on the body.

Back