• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

KMS K3sw 180 servo winch install

KMS

Rock Crawler
I finally received a servo winch mount [ebay ] had to do some cutting on the new mount to get the K3 servo winch to fit , plus added a collet to center the line on spool. I would say the mount was made for the bobbin style servo . Trimmed the front of body and made a fairlead to bolt to bumper . Using a Heyok Wireless winch controller to run it , power from extra wire off ESC...

Attachments

• IMG_20170810_195405732.jpg
    IMG_20170810_195405732.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20170810_195538643.jpg
    IMG_20170810_195538643.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_20170810_195319533_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170810_195319533_HDR.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20170810_195244435.jpg
    IMG_20170810_195244435.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 561
Have you checked out the Bowhouse rc mount on shapeways? It looks to be a better setup for your style winches.

Yes,, after,, I bought this one I seen it , It looks to be a better fit than the one I bought for 17.95 , maybe later on I will try BowHouse servo winch mount , They look like they might fit the SCX10 ,,"thumbsup"

I just picked up a KMS SW180 winch and what I've done is swap out my old working winch (SSD OX winch using a Heyok controller) with the KMS winch but I'm at work and didn't bring some items to test and fine tune with, I was just going to be sitting around for an hour so I brought this to keep myself busy. I have a feeling the BEC powering this may be set too high for the KMS winch, I believe I had it set to 8.4 volts.

Anyway I was wiring it up and all it does when I hit the switch is click like a relay (it doesn't move), I can feel this click if I touch the servo. About all I could do is try reversing the power wires which did the same thing (I believe these will run either direction okay though). I wish I had more at my disposal to test with. Later when I'm home I plan on checking the BEC settings and testing my old winch to see whats going on, I was also going to try to power the KMS winch off of a different source.

But if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it

I'll be watching to see what you come up with, "thumbsup"

I finally tracked down the specs on the servo and it lists 4.8V-7.2V, could 8.4V be overloading it. I wouldn't think that would be enough of a difference to cause this.
Anyway enough speculation till I get home.

Here is my solution, this plate. Pretty simple. Screws into the rear flipped bumper mount.

Original set up with line line being sent through TRX winch on narrowed TRX bumper.
FvQSU9.jpg

Current using a 3D printed aluminum bumper for more clearance:
luCGSI.jpg

Love the KMS winch though.

Aha! I found it :), one of the leads on the winch controller had broken loose, its actually the 2nd time this lead has broken loose but I'm glad it was a simple and easy fix.

4bYkJ4jl.jpg

I'm using the crawler innovations electronics tray for a mount

i9AZrEYl.jpg

I finally tracked down the specs on the servo and it lists 4.8V-7.2V, could 8.4V be overloading it. I wouldn't think that would be enough of a difference to cause this.
Anyway enough speculation till I get home.

I recommend a 2s lipo , The motor will last longer, Now with that said most guys that run them including me use 3s lipo, "thumbsup"

Back