• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

International Travel with RC - Easy

Ramination

Rock Crawler
I just got back from an extended trip to Europe where I took my scaler with me in my carry on bag. Going in I was nervous, however I had no issues at any of the security checkpoints, all of the agents handled it well. Given how easy it was for me to fly internationally with mine as a carry on I would/will definitely suggest it to anyone who asks.

I had it packed in a normal sized carry on luggage bag. I removed the body as well as the tires. The charger, batteries, TX and spare parts were all stuffed in around it. I did not bring my tools, screwdrivers, pliers and such, in the carry on though. I kept those in my checked bag just to avoid a possible issue.

I went through two security checkpoints in the US and two in Europe; one in Germany and one in Austria and did get pulled aside at at all four however it didn't delay me for more than five minutes each time. I made sure to tell them that it was an RC car in the bag before it went into the scanner, just so it didn't surprise them. Most everyone was cool with it and mentioned how much fun it looked like it would be. Having it assembled in roller status would probably make it a bit easier for someone who is not familiar with RCs to understand what it is, however, it wasn't a big deal having it broken down.

At three of the four checkpoints they did a swab and tested for bomb materials, the checkpoint in Austria they didn't test for bomb materials but they did pull everything out and this was the only one where the x-ray tech was concerned with the lead weights inside the wheels. Another one of the TSA agents convinced him it was what was holding the tires and wheels together; I didn't divulge any of my scaler secrets and within few minutes I was on my way. :mrgreen: Most of the concern for the agents everywhere was the batteries. I did not do anything special, I just had them in my lipo-safe bag. All of the agents checked each of the batteries and was OK with it like that.

I was also selected for a random bag search boarding the plane in Italy and it was not an issue, although I could tell the guy really didn't know what he was looking at.

Before leaving I read the following threads regarding flying with an RC, and this is basically my follow up.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/441016-traveling-rcs.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/327953-traveling-rc-cars.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/general-crawlers/294456-flying-your-crawler.html

Taking my RC as a carry on was easy, even internationally. I would/will definitely suggest it to anyone who asks. I considered shipping it, but that was extremely expensive and I also considered checking it in, but I did not want to risk letting it out of my sight. Someone who knew what they were looking at might get too greedy...

Happy wheeling! "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Took mine to mexico, on the way back they had me trow away all my tools! They said no tools on the plane! A value about $180 dollars all craftsman hex's pliers,everything!

Thanks for all the great info:
I have a Question , I have a Serpent road car and want to travel to Europe with it. Its Nitro and have been told as long as the tank is empty and clean of fuel .As well as the car fully clean of fuel it should be alright.
Also Lipo Batteries in proper bag and transmitter Checked-in suitcase. What do you think. Any Ideas?

I read some info about nitro fuel tank (cleaned)+ motor, people put it in checked luggages; remove all fuel line; battery pack in checked luggage. Basically a bone roller with nitro free stain or dirt. Clean the roller real good. Lipo, not even in checked luggage. Also heavily depends on the airline company too.

I brought my lipos on board with me, like I said in my first post all of the agents at the security checkpoints pulled them out, inspected them and then OK'd them. I read somewhere that you should put a piece of electrical tape over the plug ends but I didn't even do that and it was fine. I did have them in a Lipo-Safe bag though.

As for the nitro motor, I was under the impression no combustion motor was allowed to be carried on, so I would pull it out of the chassis and check that in (as well as the tank). The rest of the car I would bring on the plane with me though.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for all the great info:
I have a Question , I have a Serpent road car and want to travel to Europe with it. Its Nitro and have been told as long as the tank is empty and clean of fuel .As well as the car fully clean of fuel it should be alright.
Also Lipo Batteries in proper bag and transmitter Checked-in suitcase. What do you think. Any Ideas?

Most of the time I travel with my cars they swab the bag for explosive materials. The machine is supposed to be very sensitive. Any fumes or residues at all could trip that test. I would suggest checking that personally.

Back