• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Inexpensive Servo?

It's okay and in fact pretty decent for the money. That said, I'm not a fan of them in heavier/ demanding crawlers. I've got a few of them and in my lighter/ smaller rigs and they do a good job in that application. If you're just trying to replace a really crappy factory servo but not looking for a ton of torque and don't wanna spend much money, they'll do alright. Plenty of people run them and are happy with them but there's a night and day difference between those and high-end/ high torque servos with metal gears.

A lot of mention of them here in this thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/578969-what-newest-cheap-servo-hotness-54.html

A lot of people run them and I have before. They work fine-especially for the price- but I would rather buy once, cry once. But, you can get a pack of 4 for ~$20, so they would make good backups. Keep two on the Bench and two in the trailing bag.

Agree with SLN and HPD, I have 3. They work, haven't had one fail yet, and they are cheap. They are more than enough servo (imo) on my trailwalker with stock tires, but I wouldn't run one on my trx4 for example.

Actually have a pair of them in my RC3WD Overland build. Steering and shift/axles
462447313346c46850fd563555acdeb2.jpg

Hang up and Drive

I run the DS3218pro in a lot of my trail rigs, only a couple bucks more and they are bit more powerful than the regular version. Either way they are a decent servo, not comp worthy but not rtr junk either.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

3 bros G11 is about 50-60 bucks and is direct power. By drawing straight from the battery the servo gets all the volts and all the amps it needs to run its best.

Many ESCs internal BEC may put out the voltage but unless you have a MambaX they don't put out enough amperage so the servo can run its best.

I am on 6 months with the cheaper 20KG version and have run nothing smaller than 4.75" tires, about half of that time has been 5.2" boggers. It's a little noisy, but fast. The rig it is in now is 8lbs ish so we'll see how it does but so far for the price I've been satisfied with it. I get the 'buy once/cry once' thing though, I may just be lucky with this one. But hard to argue against it if it's lasting that long for $15. I bought one of the heavier duty ones to replace the RTR servo in my 10ii but haven't had to swap it yet.

I am on 6 months with the cheaper 20KG version and have run nothing smaller than 4.75" tires, about half of that time has been 5.2" boggers. It's a little noisy, but fast. The rig it is in now is 8lbs ish so we'll see how it does but so far for the price I've been satisfied with it. I get the 'buy once/cry once' thing though, I may just be lucky with this one. But hard to argue against it if it's lasting that long for $15. I bought one of the heavier duty ones to replace the RTR servo in my 10ii but haven't had to swap it yet.

It wonder where those cheap amazon servos are made? I know Amazon doesn't make them. I wonder how similar they are to a Savox or other higher dollar one?

It wonder where those cheap amazon servos are made? I know Amazon doesn't make them. I wonder how similar they are to a Savox or other higher dollar one?

If I had to guess, China. They are branded under Zoskay, Annimos, and several others. Here are the specs on the 20KG version:

Features:
- High-precision metal gears with hard anodizing
- CNC aluminium middle Shell,
- water proof rubber seals screws

Sepcification:
Brand: DSSERVO
Item: DS3218MG
Stall Torque (5V): 19 kg/cm (263.8oz/in)
Stall Torque (6.8V): 21.5 kg/cm (298.5 oz/in)
Dead band: 3μs
Speed : 0.16 sec/60°(5V) / 0.14 sec/60°(6.8V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8 ~ 6.8 DC Volts
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: DC Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum
Working frequence: 1520μs / 333hz
CE Certification: Yes
Size: 40 x 20 x 40.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.60 in)

EDIT: they aren't "Amazon" servos, they are also sold on Banggood, NewEgg, and a ton of other places. Also labeled Goolsky and other names I can't pronounce. I'm busy with work right now so not a lot of time to dig but if you are industrious just follow the DSServo paper trail.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, China. They are branded under Zoskay, Annimos, and several others. Here are the specs on the 20KG version:

Features:
- High-precision metal gears with hard anodizing
- CNC aluminium middle Shell,
- water proof rubber seals screws

Sepcification:
Brand: DSSERVO
Item: DS3218MG
Stall Torque (5V): 19 kg/cm (263.8oz/in)
Stall Torque (6.8V): 21.5 kg/cm (298.5 oz/in)
Dead band: 3μs
Speed : 0.16 sec/60°(5V) / 0.14 sec/60°(6.8V)
Operating Voltage: 4.8 ~ 6.8 DC Volts
Weight: 60 g (2.12 oz)
Motor Type: DC Motor
Gear Type: Copper & Aluminum
Working frequence: 1520μs / 333hz
CE Certification: Yes
Size: 40 x 20 x 40.5 mm ( 1.58 x 0.79 x 1.60 in)

EDIT: they aren't "Amazon" servos, they are also sold on Banggood, NewEgg, and a ton of other places. Also labeled Goolsky and other names I can't pronounce. I'm busy with work right now so not a lot of time to dig but if you are industrious just follow the DSServo paper trail.

At this point I am pretty happy my 3Bros and Holmes Hobby, not as much with my Savox. I wonder where these manufactures paper trail would lead.

They've been discussed ad nauseum on the http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/578969-what-newest-cheap-servo-hotness.html thread, goin' WAY back (That thread is 54 pages! Ought to be stickied, IMHO) - the brand, if there is one is technically DS Servos. They are distributed by countless Chinese companies, and pop up everywhere you look, at insanely low prices if you buy a bunch at once. They really ought to be installed in EVERY RTR crawler/trail rig as they are much better than what those come with - but of course they do have their limitations.

As long as the rig is not really heavy, or running really large diameter tires, and your steering endpoints are set correctly, the DS3218 and the Pro version will last quite a while - my brassed-out Ascender has been going for years on one.

I have a DS3218 Pro in my nearly stock Enduro and I'm testing a DS3225 (same, but 25kg) in my nearly stock TRX-4 Defender, and I have a DS3235 (35kg) that I'm going to throw in a modded and faster-running, taller-tired Enduro (going for more of a hillclimber/mild rock bouncer) next.

I do use a Holmes Hobbies SHV500 v1 in my Bomber - I also had tried a ProModeler 470oz-in in it, but it is going in my 2nd Bomber that's not completed yet.

EDIT: Shoot! I forgot, I just picked up a v3 SHV500 as well, it's going in somethin', I forget what... "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Those servos make awesome winches. Yank the brains out of them, connect up a HW1060 ESC, and go to town!!!

They've been discussed ad nauseum on the http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/578969-what-newest-cheap-servo-hotness.html thread, goin' WAY back (That thread is 54 pages! Ought to be stickied, IMHO) - the brand, if there is one is technically DS Servos. They are distributed by countless Chinese companies, and pop up everywhere you look, at insanely low prices if you buy a bunch at once. They really ought to be installed in EVERY RTR crawler/trail rig as they are much better than what those come with - but of course they do have their limitations.

As long as the rig is not really heavy, or running really large diameter tires, and your steering endpoints are set correctly, the DS3218 and the Pro version will last quite a while - my brassed-out Ascender has been going for years on one.

I have a DS3218 Pro in my nearly stock Enduro and I'm testing a DS3225 (same, but 25kg) in my nearly stock TRX-4 Defender, and I have a DS3235 (35kg) that I'm going to throw in a modded and faster-running, taller-tired Enduro (going for more of a hillclimber/mild rock bouncer) next.

I do use a Holmes Hobbies SHV500 v1 in my Bomber - I also had tried a ProModeler 470oz-in in it, but it is going in my 2nd Bomber that's not completed yet.

EDIT: Shoot! I forgot, I just picked up a v3 SHV500 as well, it's going in somethin', I forget what... "thumbsup"

I was about to buy the HH V3 but it is big and wouldn't fit.

Back