• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Independent 4WS and/or Throttle?

8300Angstroms

Independent 4WS: One steering servo per axle.
  • Simple 4WS involves rotating the axles in opposite directions via wiring or programming the transmitter. Straight forward.
  • Independent requires a dual stick transmitter --> How often is this ability needed? And what crawler(s) have you added it?
Independent Throttle: Where you are operating the front & back wheels at different speeds. Same as with independent steering,
  • How often do you use this?
  • Which rock crawlers did you implement this? (MOAs look like prime candidates)

Why am I asking these questions? Dual stick vs. Grip-style transmitter. The former is atypical for R/C vehicles with wheels, but merits consideration if you need,
  1. To use the transmitter with vehicles such as aircraft or tanks.
  2. Independent 4WS.
  3. Independent Throttle.

4WS...
Depends... What kind of rig is it, and what type of running do you do? If you are just trail running, then 4WS is more or less a novelty that make the truck unstable. If the rig is crawling, then 4WS allows you to get around rocks a lot better.
There are different ways this can be set up. You can get a radio with 4WS mixing, and you just have to select the steering profile you want. This can be cumbersome at times. The other option is having direct control of the back axle, and this can be done with a stick radio, or radio like the MT4, a pistol-grip radio that has a thumb slider, or even an aux channel that will give specific steering steps for the back axle. It all depends on what works best for you.

Independent throttle...
This is something that is only seen in MOA rigs, and really is just for harder-core crawling. The best way to set this up is by running one ESC per motor/axle, then having their throttle controls mixed in the radio. Most modern radios have a mix function built in for controlling the power in this way.

I am setup for independent 4ws. My rear steer is setup on a 3 position switch. It is full on or full off. I just finished it so my experience with this is very minimal. I have a Spektrum DX5 Rugged and there is a way to set it up with various modes but that just seems like PIA top operate it that way.

chassis-4ws.jpg

Independent throttle requires you have two motors so MOA's are pretty much the only application for that. On an MOA this gets used very frequently.

4WS is best suited for a technical rock crawler, and not so much for a scale/trail rig. on the rigs that use 4WS it gets used very frequently but only when needed, as noted above 4WS can get you into trouble.

I have a Spektrum DX5 Rugged and there is a way to set it up with various modes but that just seems like PIA top operate it that way.

Operation is exactly the same as what you're doing with a 3 position switch now. Only the actual setup is difficult. Once thats done you have a 3 position switch that toggles through 4 different modes (yes 4, front only, rear only, 4WS and crab modes).
I setup mine to have front only for the all the way up position, next click down is 4WS and the less used modes are at the bottom two positions, rear only then crab mode.

Last edited:
Independent throttle requires you have two motors so MOA's are pretty much the only application for that. On an MOA this gets used very frequently.

4WS is best suited for a technical rock crawler, and not so much for a scale/trail rig. on the rigs that use 4WS it gets used very frequently but only when needed, as noted above 4WS can get you into trouble.

Operation is exactly the same as what you're doing with a 3 position switch now. Only the actual setup is difficult. Once thats done you have a 3 position switch that toggles through 4 different modes (yes 4, front only, rear only, 4WS and crab modes).
I setup mine to have front only for the all the way up position, next click down is 4WS and the less used modes are at the bottom two positions, rear only then crab mode.

OK, I thought you had to use your thumb and slide it up or down the "wheel" on the back of the remote. Not to bad on a 5C but that would suck on the rugged.

All 3 crawlers on my list, are of the 'serious'. Not getting this hobby to look pretty, want to climb of some nasty rocks. (There are plenty of rocky venues in my area.)

So yes, even I don't start with a MOA equipped w. independent 4WS & throttle, I'm going there. So pistol-grip style transmitters are out.

Can picture manipulating both axles to steer differently, using both gimbals. But operating front & back wheels at different speeds? That has to be for the heavily-experienced.

I am setup for independent 4ws. My rear steer is setup on a 3 position switch. It is full on or full off. I just finished it so my experience with this is very minimal. I have a Spektrum DX5 Rugged and there is a way to set it up with various modes but that just seems like PIA top operate it that way.

Seems to be too much of PIA to setup for pistol-grip. Definitely going dual-stick. Thanks for chiming in.

chassis-4ws.jpg
nice rig

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to how the engine can drive two front wheels with independent suspension while offroading.

Like for my solid axle in the rear it makes sense, since it is just a straight bar. But with independent front suspension, the front wheels are not attached like that and I'm very serious as to how the engine drives the wheels.

I have a 2005 4runner and want to know exactly what is happening while offroading.

Videos/gifs/pictures/eli5 would be really helpful in explaining this. I tried searching for it but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for because I have no idea how to even ask it. I hope I explained it well enough. Im not extremely familiar with car parts but know some basics.

Toys R Us Credit Card

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how the engine can drive two front wheels with independent suspension while offroading.

Like for my solid axle in the rear it makes sense, since it is just a straight bar. But with independent front suspension, the front wheels are not attached like that and I'm very serious as to how the engine drives the wheels.

I have a 2005 4runner and want to know exactly what is happening while offroading.

Videos/gifs/pictures/eli5 would be really helpful in explaining this. I tried searching for it but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for because I have no idea how to even ask it. I hope I explained it well enough. Im not extremely familiar with car parts but know some basics.

You have a center diff in front just like in the rear, you just don't have axle tubes. There are still shafts going from the front diff to hubs up front. Think if these axle shafts like drive shafts that go from your diffs to the hubs instead of your trans or tcase to the axle diffs. They have joints at both side of the shafts to allow for movement and steering were-as with your solid axle in front you only have joints on one end allowing for steering,

Last edited:
Seems to be too much of PIA to setup for pistol-grip. Definitely going dual-stick. Thanks for chiming in.

sanwa M12s RS is the radio you are looking for. but if you want to save some coin, find a good used MT4.

i use the thumb lever for front to rear throttle mix and the dial off to the right for rear steer.

but, if you are coming from a quadcopter background and do lots of 3d tricks and what not... stick is the way to go. there is a spectrum 6-8 ch radio you can just pop some springs in on the left stick.

Most of my rigs have 4WS some are on axle some on chassis and some combo!!! I have a Spektrum DX5 Pro which is great for 4WS but I also use the Flysky GT5 and its a breeze to switch the 4WS position quick from front or rear steer to crab steering and full opposite steering and they work really easy with the flyskyGT5 My favorite combo for 4WS is chassis mounted servo front and rear axle mounted servo works great and either I run an overdrive in the front axle or a under drive in the rear axle!!! BUZZZZZZ......

Attachments

• IMG_4345D.jpg
    IMG_4345D.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 370
There is a Futaba Stick radio that is compatible with surface and air models that has all the features for 4WS and Independent steering and throttle not sure the model but I know its expensive!!! BUUZZZZ....

Most of my rigs have 4WS some are on axle some on chassis and some combo!!! I have a Spektrum DX5 Pro which is great for 4WS but I also use the Flysky GT5 and its a breeze to switch the 4WS position quick from front or rear steer to crab steering and full opposite steering and they work really easy with the flyskyGT5 My favorite combo for 4WS is chassis mounted servo front and rear axle mounted servo works great and either I run an overdrive in the front axle or a under drive in the rear axle!!! BUZZZZZZ......

Skeptical Honeyman108. Trying to picture the GT5 steering front & back axles independently, AND also using the throttle.

Seeing a Jeti DS16 G2 in my future.

Back