• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

I Want to Build A Reliable Large Scale Crawler

MailManX

Quarry Creeper
I'd like a crawler that is 1/4 or 1/5 scale. I am OK to either buy or build. The only RTR I can find in that size is the Exceed Maxstone 5. That rig doesn't check all the right boxes for me because:

• Only one major source of parts
  • Parts often out of stock
  • Too few aftermarket parts
  • Poor quality OEM build (plastic diff gears, etc)
  • Strange-looking
I really love the RC4WD Bully 2 kit for its quality and affordability. However, I'm hoping for something bigger than that. Is there an easy way to extend the Bully 2 chassis?

RC4WD also sells the Killer Krawler 2. OMG! I love that rig! However, I don't really wanna spend a grand just for a kit, even though I know the engineering in that kit is worth it and I'm sorely tempted! However, I'm only into RC's for fun with my family and friends. I do love quality, but I don't have to have the best.

I've been into RC for 5 years and am typically an 8th scale basher with buggies, truggies and monster trucks. I also have a few 10th scale rigs and a really fun Tacon Valor 1/14 scale monster truck. I have one 5th scale rig - a highly modified Redcat Rampage XT-E 5th scale that I love. However, the only crawlers I have are two 1/10 scale rigs: LNC and Axial Ridgeline. Great rigs, but I long for something bigger.

I know it's possible to buy just the Bully 2 Axles. Is there a large chassis kit that I could buy without axles to that will work with the Bully 2 axles without screwing up the geometry, or without costing as much or more than the KK2?

THANKS!

"thumbsup"

Axial AR60 axles work decent on builds up to about 1/6 or so. Mad Force axles would probably work as well (and be far stronger) though I'm not sure exactly how wide they are.

I'm not aware of any large scale chassis per-se, I've managed to cut out my own.

My 1/6 Ram is about 38" long - pretty big. I do have a 1/5 Redcat Rampage body here I'd like to do something with - AR60's could work, though they are a bit narrow.

Axial AR60 axles work decent on builds up to about 1/6 or so. Mad Force axles would probably work as well (and be far stronger) though I'm not sure exactly how wide they are.

I'm not aware of any large scale chassis per-se, I've managed to cut out my own.

My 1/6 Ram is about 38" long - pretty big. I do have a 1/5 Redcat Rampage body here I'd like to do something with - AR60's could work, though they are a bit narrow.

Thank you sir! I'll check into those options. As for making my own, I am really good at assembly and mod work, but I have never created a new rig or chassis. I don't feel qualified to do so and I don't have the machine capability. However, if I can find a kit, or even a group of compatible parts that I can cobble together, I'd be happy. Maybe I'll stumble across a thread of "this is what I built and these are the parts I built it with". I could work with that.

Check out the "Large Scale Rigs" section further down the main page, most of us create our own frames for the builds, and if your real energetic like b-kons, you'll make your own body as well. "thumbsup"

Here's mine: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/large-scale-rigs/502928-new-project-me.html

That was an AMAZING read! It never would have occured to me to turn a toy jeep into an RC project. You did a fantastic job! I am in awe of all the talent I see on these forums.

I almost pulled the trigger on the RC4WD Killer Krawler 2 because it is just so darn sexy! However, I watched as many youtube videos as I could and it doesn't crawl very well. It ends up being a very expensive shelf queen (using a VERY large shelf!).

I'm not comfortable enough to try and custom build a 5th scale compilation of unrelated parts, so I've decided to downsize my ambition to an 8th scale crawler. I'm leaning towards the RC4WD Bully 2 MOA "kit". Videos shows that it crawls really well. However, I need to do more research about its reliability. I know nothing about it.

If a comp crawler is more the style you are after, just start sending your money to Dlux. :mrgreen:

Dlux Fab

I'm willing to spend $480 for the Bully 2 MOA kit. I am nowhere near the level of needing the stuff that Dlux makes. I just want to have a lot of fun with a rig that sticks well to all the granite in my area. Is the Bully OK for that?

That Dlux Fab stuff sure is wonderful! I was tempted, but since I am only doing this for fun, I finally steered clear of the high cost. I also gave up on the idea of a large scale crawler. Instead, I bought a Bully II MOA Kit and will enjoy building that up with help from the Bully forum.

I have a Redcat Rockslide Super Crawler which is 1/8th scale and built like a comp crawler with MOA & 4 wheel steering. Not fast by any means but a blast to crawl.

Redcat also has the Clawback Crawler which is 1/5th scale more scale looking than the Rockslide Clawback Crawler

Back