• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

I think I just fried my motor and possibly esc

Allmanac

Hi all. Pretty new to the crawling scene. I just recently completed the SCX10 ii kit and was out crawling on a pile of wood and all of a sudden it was acting like it was browning out. Then it just went berserk. I managed to get the body off and noticed smoke coming from the motor and the esc was extremely hot. I am using the AE5 esc, Axial 27t motor with a Tactic TSX57 servo and powered by a Kinexsis 3S 5100mah Lipo. Not sure what happened but it has only been about 2 hours of run time. I ended up putting the AX10 trans in it in place of the stock trans because it was ungodly loud and had really bad chassis roll. Thought maybe changing to a smaller trans would help and it helped some but there is still quite a bit of chassis roll almost like there is something binding. But I checked gear mesh (all good), trans is smooth when not connected to the axles and axles are smooth also. Can't figure it out. Might have I just got a bad motor and esc? I'm at a loss. I have the 2017 CRC JK RTR and it is buttery smooth and very quiet. Think maybe I put something together wrong or something I need to check? Appreciate any words of wisdom.

27t motor, with stock pinion? On 3s.

I know with the OG scx10, that would be expected. Can't say I know for sure the gearing on the scx10 kit, I run mine brushless geared low or it would be doing wheelies all day long.

Check to see if you have any binding in the drivetrain. If not you should probably regear lower, and replace the 27t with a 35t.

What Teng and Ditchrat said, get replacements, and remember to gear down when you volt up. I'm running a 55-turn on 3s to get the best low-speed crawling control.

Axial electronics? There's your problem.

Spend $40 on the HobbyWing WP 1080 and be done with it.

I've been running an OG Honcho and Deadbolt with stock AE-5, 27t Axial motor and stock pinion on 3S for several years and have yet to smoke check anything.

I'd be calling Axial. Just don't talk to Bonnie...

Back