• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HW 1080 3S Voltage Cutoff

itr1275

Rock Stacker
I installed the Hobbywing 1080 on the Traxxas and have a question about the Voltage cutoff. Note I have not wired the motor yet.

The ESC was purchased via AMain Hobbies - NOT Amazon.

I'm using a 3S Lipo and when I starts it up I get a
single tone -deedle doo doo
Then two tones - do da, do da.
The LED flashes 3 times followed by a single flash.

See the video
https://youtu.be/xpV6wnSfGx8

The manual says "the motor will beep N (number)". First is I don't have my motor wired in yet. Secondly I didn't know my motor could beep? The series of tones from the ESC doesn't sound like a beep to me. How do I know it see a 3S battery?

The next question is what is the actual voltage cut off? The manual only give voltages for NiMH batteries.

I have no idea what those beeps and flashes mean. Probably a warning of some kind. When I turn mine on with a 3s battery it makes 3 distinct peeps.

I'm not sure why you're turning it on without a motor hooked up, but do that and then follow the instructions. I'm as noob as it gets with rc, and I had no issues setting it up.

As for voltage cutoff, I'm 95% sure my low voltage cutoff is set to "auto low". I ran through a couple 2s batteries this morning. Both until the esc cut them off. I just plugged one into my charger and the cells are at 3.58v and 3.59v. I'll go ahead and guess that the auto low cutoff is 3.6v per cell.

Yes, ESCs use the motor to beep. 3 flashes, pause, single long flash looks right and means "3s, armed". It should beep that way once you hook up the motor. You have 3 levels of cutoff IIRC (low med hi), I keep mine on high. They end up around 3.6 per cell so YMMV.

Those sounds in the vid aren't the sounds a 1080 makes. Do you have anything else hooked up!?

You need the motor connected and the program card that's in the box.
If you don't have the program card, you didn't buy it new or from a reputable source.

The manual and the card explain the calibration steps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, ESCs use the motor to beep. 3 flashes, pause, single long flash looks right and means "3s, armed". It should beep that way once you hook up the motor. You have 3 levels of cutoff IIRC (low med hi), I keep mine on high. They end up around 3.6 per cell so YMMV.

Those sounds in the vid aren't the sounds a 1080 makes. Do you have anything else hooked up!?
Sounds like maybe an ESS boot-up tone? Or similar sound simulator??

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!

I have it plugged into the receiver and the servos are connected to that as well. Could be a servo beeping?

You need the motor connected and the program card that's in the box.
If you don't have the program card, you didn't buy it new or from a reputable source.

The manual and the card explain the calibration steps.

I have the programming card and it's all the default settings. I purchased it from Amain hobbies.

The motor isn't hooked up yet just because I ran out of time last night.

You're overthinking it.

Don't evaluate anything until you have the system fully wired.

Install the motor, check the beeps, report back.

You're overthinking it.

Don't evaluate anything until you have the system fully wired.

Install the motor, check the beeps, report back.

Ok, the motor is installed and I get three beeps from my motor. Who knew my motor could beep.

So what is the cut off voltages for the high/med/low?

Test it out. Start with medium and see where the packs end up. If it was precise and same across all ESCs, I think hobbywing would use numbers instead of l/m/h...
I use high on all of my escs IIRC. I prefer to end up closer to storage voltage.

The "high,medium,low" voltage cutoff is the only thing about the HW1080 that bugs me. I'd prefer knowing what the voltage is but it is what it is.

The first HW1080 I installed, I used a plugin low voltage alarm to test the different settings. I started out with the ESC set at "high" and found the cutoff to be in the 3.6V to 3.8V range. I tried the "medium" setting and it was too close to the lipo minimum of 3.0V for my liking so I've gone back the the "high" setting. I have 2S and 3S batteries, different sizes from 2200mAh to 5000mAh, and the cutoff seems to be pretty consistent for all my different batteries.

I rechecked my settings with the programmer, and it turns out the cutoff has been set to medium. Which took my 2s batteries down to just under 3.6v per cell. It appears that there isn’t a specific number for the cutoff, just a general range. I’m good with medium.

That's some good data points.

I will start with high and hopefully end up about 3.7V for storage. The original Traxxas XL5 ESC would end up at 3.8V which is close enough.

Older post I know but I've had my 1080 G2 set at medium and the 3S batteries have been reading a consistent 3.3v when the esc cuts off.

Back