• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How Much Weight is Too Much?

alexchen86

I wanna be Dave
I just installed a set of DNA wheels on my AX10 and I think I may have added too much weight. It feels as if I am about to break something lol.

Rears are weighted 3oz each wheel and the wheel itself is 1oz so total of 8oz load on rear axle.

Fronts are weighted 6.5oz each wheel and the wheel is also 1oz so total of 15oz on front axle.

Is this way too much?

The best way to tell is to just drive it. IMO, it isnt the amount of weight that you should shoot for.....just the amount of weight placement and where that puts your COG bias. I like my COG to be right at the chassis lower link mounts...

I agree that weight bias is key. But like J said, it's not everything. An example, I run a short front links compared to my rears. Fronts are about 75% of my rear's length. Since I have done some other things on the chassis to move my weight bias forward, it works out to around a 60/40 split with just the chassis and running gear, no wheels/tires. So I thought I'd try to ditch some weight by removing my front wheel weights. (I don't run any weight in the rear tires)
Fail. You need the weight down low in the fronts. Period.
How much is up to you. I don't think what you've listed is excessive. I run 6 oz per tire on the stock plastic LCC rims. I'd remove the weight from the rear tires if it was me. Run it like it is for a day so you can get a good idea how it works, then remove the rear weight and see if you like it better.
If you break a front shaft, upgrade it when you can.

You know when you have to much when the motor can't turn the wheels. Beyond that it is like the others said, trial and error. I had about 7oz in each of the fronts on my ax-10 and had no problems with breakage. More weight up front helps with climbs. Good luck

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to run it this afternoon as is and surprisingly nothing broke! I think I was just paranoid.

I might take out some weight on the rear. When side hilling the front end is planted but the rear starts slipping down faster than before when I ran the plastic Axial wheels.

I have it to a point where if I'm upside down I can rock it back on all fours.

I've been building some pretty light AX10 based trucks lately, this allows me to run less weight in the wheels. I try to stay around 6# total RTR.

So if your chassis without wheels on it RTR is heavy, then your wheels will also need to be heavy to lower your COG to get the best performance.

Try some different FT/RR weights to get your best performance.

I've been building some pretty light AX10 based trucks lately, this allows me to run less weight in the wheels. I try to stay around 6# total RTR.

So if your chassis without wheels on it RTR is heavy, then your wheels will also need to be heavy to lower your COG to get the best performance.

Try some different FT/RR weights to get your best performance.

I agree; build light and add weight where you need it.

I've been watching some very light rigs in our club pull some nutty lines lately.

I have my Eclipse at 5.5 pounds all up and it's doing things that it couldn't do last year. Admittedly, Eddie's foams help a great deal with that, but still :mrgreen:

Most of the guys in our crew run at least 8 oz's each up front on sprung rigs and 12oz on some droop rigs.I don't run any in the rears with alum. rims,but a little helps if ya do alot of steep downhill stuff.
I have pulled alot of lines cleaner and with more control with a heavy front wheel setup,it keeps the rig planted and hooked in place in the sharp,steep rock we run up here.

I ran anywhere from 3-12oz in my fronts with 0-3oz out back. It all worked fine, even 12oz in each front wheel. However, at 12oz, it had so much front weight, that it wasn't good for anything but slow-moderate crawling. I got bored after a couple months and reduced it to a more balanced combo. What you gain in one area will inevitably cause a sacrifice in another area. Some would say, "Find your happy medium, what works for you." But for some of us, mixing up the config every few months is the happy medium. SO PLAY AROUND AND HAVE FUN!

I am a fan of "light"! My comp rig is right at 5lbs. I like to start with light rear wheels with no weight and put just as much weight in the front to get a 60/40 bias. If the links are set up right for squat/anti-squat, ya should need very little weight tuning from there.

Back