• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Holmes Hobbies Revolver S 540 and MMP question

Shinjari

RCC Addict
Ok so I recently got a Holmes Hobbies Revolver S 540 outrunner brushless motor.

Installed it into my Scx10 based rig (geared 87/16) with Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro ESC and CC 10a BEC hooked up to my Hitec 7955tg Servo all on 3s 30C lipo. All controlled by my hacked flysky gt3b.

Wired it up, everything powered on fine, picked up the rig off the ground to test motor direction and it spins freely and evenly in both directions. Perfect! Or so I thought.

I put the rig on the ground to just try out its low end resolution.

Forward works like a dream, low-end/slow crawl as good as a brushed motor (no thanks to it being 14 poles) and has a good top end for a 2000kv motor. I crawled all over the house, dog's bed, shoes, up and down a step between rooms. It was great. Wanted to test it under binding like conditions so I placed the front bumper directly on the side of my computer tower and it has more than enough power to move my desktop computer tower several inches lol.

Reverse on the other hand is a shot in the dark. On a flat surface it works fine. Can do a slow crawl, can hit full throttle no problem. However, when you put any sort of pressure/resistance on the rig while travelling in reverse the motor go haywire. It slams between forward and reverse until you let go of the throttle and go back to neutral. And I mean any resistance on it, I can place my finger gently on the rear bumper as its going in reverse and it flips out.

This happens 9/10 times when I'm trying to do a slow crawl at less than 15% throttle in reverse. When I put the throttle more than 15% it happens like 3/10 times. If this was a go-fast I wouldnt care, but if I'm trying to just move less than an inch in reverse to get the perfect line while crawling it just won't do.

Here is what I've tried to no success or still experience the twitchy reverse.

-Reset MMP to factory settings
-Tried both Smart Sense and Sensored only.
-Tried every motor wire combination
-Replaced the motor/ESC bullet connectors
-Tried 3 sensor cables (1 new in package, 2 used from other rigs that work)
-Tried my Traxxas ET-3S (MMP rebadge)
-Tried 2s, 3s, and 4s batteries
-Tried different transmitters, Flysky gt2b and my other Flysky gt3b.

I have emailed Holmes Hobbies about this but as its a holiday weekend I do not expect a response any earlier than tuesday.

Since it only happens when there is an increase in resistance on the motor in reverse and I've tried a different ESC with no luck, I'm leaning towards that there's an issue with the sensor board on the motor.

I love the performance in forward...but reverse is kind of a necessity in crawling too. I've spent several hours trying to solve this and I think I've hit every angle of troubleshooting I can do short of just sending back to HH but maybe I'm missing something.

Uploaded videos showing how forward works fine and the issue going in reverse. Each under different conditions.

#1 http://youtu.be/TEflaRFjffg
#2 http://youtu.be/pZHPbtT-TlA
#3 http://youtu.be/WjTogjDiCu8

First vid shows the problem over all. Forward perfect and can crawl like no tomorrow. Reverse....not so much.

Second vid shows that it'll work in reverse fine sometimes when theres more throttle applied but not always.

Third vid shows that even when more throttle is applied, sometimes it still twitches and the on occasion stays moving forward (even though throttle is in reverse) until I let go of throttle.
Any thoughts? "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Well, that's definitely not normal from my experience with those.

But if you're competing with it, it won't matter. Next year's rules say if you reverse then you're done. Forward only!

May indeed be sensor board, or more specifically the stator alignment. We have plenty of new stators here that were assembled with a jig, it fixes the issue. If you pull off the rotating bell and snap a photo of the sensor placement we may be able to tell.

I can't fully tell, but it does look like a slight misalignment that we can fix. Sensors should be in line with the slot, not offset.

So you need a better shot of this alignment?

If it is indeed misaligned, do I just go through the warranty proccess?

Thanks for the replies even during a holiday weekend "thumbsup"

Last edited:
A straight shot at a sensor is what we need, looking down the stator. You would follow the warranty instructions to send it in.

Back