• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hobbywing 1080 WTF moment

tigris99

Rock Crawler
Ok blew the stock electrics in my knightrunner cause esc/bec was garbage.

Replaced esc with 1080. Supposed to be waterproof etc.

This last weekend went to a big group thing. Had 3 runs previous all programmed, dialed, etc did great but was cautious in water. This time I went a plowed through water not but maybe half way up my wheels and then still tooled around for a good bit then suddenly truck died. Esc indicator just flashed like communication lost.

BEC power gone (have 2 small amber leds plugged directly to ESC). Ok WTF? Changed battery, still nothing. So now that 1.5hr one way trip was shot to shit.

Headed back, went to lbs. Got receiver and servo powered up and tested. Servo was pushing the current rating limit almost to the max. Got esc to finally come on and Recognize RC using external power to RX. Recognized reciever signal and all (trigger inputs at TX) But no power to motor. BEC still dead.

So went under the assumption the servo was too much and killed it. Bought external BEC to avoid any chance of that again.

Fast forward to tonight:

Powered up ESC with program card attached not even thinking because new 1080 came today.

DAMN THING POWERED UP!!!!

So shut off, hooked up RX and all live. Motor leads were already unsoldered and not going to risk this ESC on another outing.

So that brings me to a WTF???? This is supposed to be the go to waterproof esc. But only water drying out would suddenly allow the ESC to come back to life 3 days later.

Says alot for the esc though, didn't fry. Going to contact hobbywing and see what they have to say.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Also - did you use dielectric grease on your ESC connectors? Waterproof is always a relative term when it comes to RC equipment...

I'd call it lucky that it dried out and is working again. Probably no harm done, just get some of that grease and put it on the connectors and try it out again, likely to work just fine.

Conformal coating is also cheap insurance, and just like the grease, you can use it on other components.

Yeap, di-electric throughout.

Nope, Receiver is waterproofed, then stuck to the lid of the Reciever box. Inside the box was dry. Everything except ESC worked fine hooked up to another power source.

Conformal coating I have a bottle of, receiver and servo (though servo is waterproof, board wasn't coated). 1080 can't be opened. I can try to clean it out and just pour some in to fill the case as it appears was done on the new one. Thinking this one the factory skimped on it, new one is filled about as much as one could with conformal coating lol.

Was just very weird because normally esc won't come back to life after that but this one did.

Electronics are not waterproof. All they can do try to keep the water out of the circuit board. It doesn't always work. Apparently water can get past being submerged in epoxy even.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Electronics are not waterproof. All they can do try to keep the water out of the circuit board. It doesn't always work. Apparently water can get past being submerged in epoxy even.

It's not that terribly difficult to achieve. But they shouldn't (walking a fine line legally) be listing something as "waterproof" if it's not even water resistant.

Water resistant means it can take light splashes, waterproof means submersible.

Waterproofing electronics isn't hard at all. I have items just as GoPro cameras that have 0 issues after years of use.

The automotive industry, all the electronics used under the hood, waterproofed no problem and lasts for decades.

I have a 1080 that has gone full submarine, when I yelled, "Don't touch anything! I'll get it!!" and my buddy stabbed reverse and rocketed the Defender backwards straight into a 2' deep pond. It was not like in the movies. It went straight to the bottom like a bag of rocks. That same rig has run in the rain countless times and been trouble free. BUt I realize that is at best anecdotal.

So I'm not saying it's not the ESC, I'm just saying sometimes things happen. I also agree that "waterproof" is essentially a misnomer-- nothing is waterproof over a long enough time frame. That's why IP ratings list a time and depth-- and I haven't managed to find anywhere where HW specifically states you know... how waterproof for how long.

Mine never got submerged or anything, just splash from creek crossing at a bit of speed to wash tires off. Water was half way up the wheels at most.

Defects happen, seems I have shit luck cause stock associated esc fried when it got wet. But this one works again.

I know many who get by with submerging the same bits with zero issues. I just found it really odd (which is why I posted) that it suddenly started working again just fine. Dead due to water means dead one would think.

With any electronic it is best practice to disconnect power until dry.

Take that esc apart and look at it. It looks impossible for electronics to get wet.

It only takes a Crack. Tugging the wire too much will make a way for water to get in. And that's enough to kill it permanently with electricity.

Back