• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hobbywing 1080 quicrun problems

Ridge runner

So i have a redcat gen 8 scout that i wanted to upgrade the esc on. I wired everything up and calibrated the transmitter. Everything worked no problems. I only drove it for like 30 seconds tops. Then after a tire change i go to drive and it wont move at all bit it does steer.

When i turn on the esc it beeps twice indicating a 2s. But then the red led just flashes. I think it is in thermal protection mode but im not exactly sure, but i know the esc is not hot it hasnt even been plugged in for an hour or so and is cool to the touch. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be.

I also tried to put the stock hexfly back on but it now does the exact same thing as the 1080. No fwd or rvs but the steering works. Could this be a problem with my radio? This is so frustrating because it all worked fine one moment then this flashing light is in with no explaination.

Thanks for your time guys.

Try swapping the servo and motor plugs on the receiver and see if you have steering with the throttle or motor with the steering.

So when i switch the esc and servo plugs i do get throttle when i use the wheel but now i get no steering. The blinking light also stops when i switch them. Does this mean my receiver is shot.

The fact that both ESCs are now doing the same thing would indicate the ESCs are fine and it is a transmitter or receiver problem. If the "Throttle Trim" is not set to "0" (zero), set it to zero and then turn the transmitter on and then power up the ESC. Wait for the power up cycle to complete and then adjust the throttle trim if necessary.

Don't know what the stock receiver accepts for input voltage but if it is 6.0V and you've set the 1080 BEC higher than 6.0V, there may be damage to the receiver. Most of todays receivers can take 7.4V but you never know . . . . . . .

I do have trim at zero. But since you mentioned the voltage i did try and set the volts to 7.4 just before it all started to try and get some faster steering. So i am pretty sure that this answers my question. I cant wait to get the gt5 in so i can see for sure. I better do some research before i try and change the voltage again.

Thank you all for helping. This is my first time asking anything on here so i am really surprised how helpful the community is and also quick. I will update once i get the new receiver in.

If you're interested here's a little more information about the Redcat stock ESC, Transmitter, and Receiver.

The ESC is a re-branded Hobbywing 1040. I haven't checked lately but I don't think Hobbywing lists the 1040 as one of their products any more. The BEC output on this ESC is 2A/6V so not much power for a servo and pretty standard BEC voltage for an ESC of this level. I have a Gen7 Pro and replaced this ESC with a 1080 after the first run.

The transmitter and receiver are re-branded Flysky. Can't find any specific information on the receiver supplied by Redcat but a similar looking Flysky receiver is rated 4.8V - 6.5V. When you get your new radio and receiver, check the ratings for the new receiver.

Something people forget is the max rating of the servo might be 7.4V or higher but if you're powering the servo through the receiver check to see what max voltage the receiver can handle and the max amp draw of the servo compared to what the ESC BEC can output. That's why there are high voltage/high amp external BECs.

So when i switch the esc and servo plugs i do get throttle when i use the wheel but now i get no steering. The blinking light also stops when i switch them. Does this mean my receiver is shot.
What this means to me is the throttle trim is set incorrectly, you need to center on the transmitter and recalabrate the esc.

Nothing sounds broken, working as intended.

Setting throttle to zero without calibration may not work if the origional calibration was not performed with throttle at zero. Zero is actually 1500 (cycles per second, mhz?) but whatever, neutral, you know what I mean.

Possibly the servo is damaged and causing grimlins, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Back