• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HH SHV650 Servo and Mamba X ESC Issue

Jbtamu1011

Rock Stacker
Hi all,

I purchased a mamba x esc/slate combo to put on my comp crawler that has a HH SHV650 servo. Everything works "fine" other than my wheels will twitch after steering or driving it. The servo wasn't doing this when I had the HW 1080 esc with a brushed motor. It worked perfectly. I want to keep the brushless system in it. The SHV650 came with the splitter and only one set of wires coming out of the servo itself.

Has anyone had this problem with direct power servos and the mamba x?

Hi all,

I purchased a mamba x esc/slate combo to put on my comp crawler that has a HH SHV650 servo. Everything works "fine" other than my wheels will twitch after steering or driving it. The servo wasn't doing this when I had the HW 1080 esc with a brushed motor. It worked perfectly. I want to keep the brushless system in it. The SHV650 came with the splitter and only one set of wires coming out of the servo itself.

Has anyone had this problem with direct power servos and the mamba x?
i think thats why he dumped the adaptor and went back to seperate power and.signal feeds i would email holms hobbies and see what they say

i think thats why he dumped the adaptor and went back to seperate power and.signal feeds i would email holms hobbies and see what they say

Do you know their email? Their contact us form on their website is not working for me.

Ferp420 is correct. If I remember correctly the issue with the SHV650 had to do with that wiring adapter. John Holmes posted to his Facebook on Feb 11 of this year about how to fix the wiring if you felt so inclined. Otherwise, you could discuss an exchange of some sort. The fix looks straight-forward, and essentially mimics their receiver bypass adapter, but uses a jst for the direct power rather than the receiver plug. If you can solder it might be simpler to wire it up anew, but if if you prefer not to, then Holmes Hobbies is reasonable and will work with you. If you can't find the email, their phone number is on the contact page of their website.

Here's an image posted with the wiring that will stop the glitching:

Attachments

• SHV650-wiring.jpg
    SHV650-wiring.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Ferp420 is correct. If I remember correctly the issue with the SHV650 had to do with that wiring adapter. John Holmes posted to his Facebook on Feb 11 of this year about how to fix the wiring if you felt so inclined. Otherwise, you could discuss an exchange of some sort. The fix looks straight-forward, and essentially mimics their receiver bypass adapter, but uses a jst for the direct power rather than the receiver plug. If you can solder it might be simpler to wire it up anew, but if if you prefer not to, then Holmes Hobbies is reasonable and will work with you. If you can't find the email, their phone number is on the contact page of their website.

Here's an image posted with the wiring that will stop the glitching:

Might have to look into this. It’s weird that it worked fine on the HW 1080 esc. I’ll get a picture of the current setup and post here after work.

If your wiring setup worked fine with the 1080, I don't see how sliding in a new esc, wired the same way, would make the servo act differently.
Try a spare receiver or re-route your antenna wire a little bit. Perhaps esc is noisy or battery wires too close now? First thought for me.

If your wiring setup worked fine with the 1080, I don't see how sliding in a new esc, wired the same way, would make the servo act differently.
Try a spare receiver or re-route your antenna wire a little bit. Perhaps esc is noisy or battery wires too close now? First thought for me.
john made a video about this issue

he sead he would swap out your old glitchy one for the new version if you contact him
heres a link to the video were he talks about it

https://youtu.be/jrc2ZBnYYwU

Interesting and a slam dunk. So the older wiring style servo "can" be glitchy depending on the combination. It's awesome he will swap it out.
john is a amazing person who really cares about the people in the hobbie
i met him once at a event he took time to fix my freinds radio set up for him just to help even though he was extremely bissy and the problem had nothing to do with his products but he already knew what the problem was and fixed it he is just a amazing person

i try to give him as much of my buisness as i can aford

ha also pionered the direct power servo so all the other direct power servos outhere are just copys of his design some are direct copys from the same manufacturer like the jx version they even copyed the flaws lol but by the time they got around to making a clone john had already moved on to better designs

Last edited:
Do you know their email? Their contact us form on their website is not working for me.

info@ Otherwise here is the direct form link, your browser may not be playing nice https://holmeshobbies.com/contact_form

Might have to look into this. It’s weird that it worked fine on the HW 1080 esc. I’ll get a picture of the current setup and post here after work.

Different internal BECs will cause a differing level of noise on the signal line. The old 2 wire with dual ground rejected noise better. I had no problems on any of my setups with a single wire setup (and neither does 8.4v servos) but with enough power the one wire single ground just glitches with some setups.

I've been in talk with Jordan at Holmes. I've tried the fixes he suggested with no luck. Still waiting to hear back on other possible routes.

Update: Holmes Hobbies is going to take care of me. Going to continue to buy their products and be a long time customer.

Back