• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

help with ECU and Motor

hboyd6

I'm new to crawling, I really need some help. I just bought a used SCX10, don't know which one it is. Would like help to find out what it is and help with the electronics. So, I have a XL5 ECU and 65x1 turns motor, not sure who makes it. Is that good for crawling? I'm having trouble with it cutting off, and bogging down. Not having any torque. The wheel base is 11 inches from center of the axel to center of the axel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you got a Dingo. 65T motor...way too slow, try a 35T. The XL5 esc is not good for a crawler. I would recommend a Holmes Hobbies BRXL waterproof esc. What condition is the motor in (brushes, comm, springs)? Has the motor ever been very overheated? Could be very worn which would give you running problems.

The motor runs pretty hot. I don't know much about brush motors. What would be a pretty good and kinda cheap 35T motor to get? Just wondering, why isn't that ecu good for crawling?

Cheap 35t is the Novak Terra claw. They run about $17 but are not rebuildable so when it dies you have to buy another one. The xl5 is made for go fast stuff and has no drag brake. It will work OK but drag brake is real nice to have.

Not sure how to rebuild them. How do I tell if the one in mine is bad? Why does the 65T that's in it now bog down, and won't the 35T bog down worse? So, what scx10 do I have? I want to buy lower links for it

As johnnysplits stated a few posts back it looks like you have the dingo version.

Now as for the motor question I did a bit of research for you.
The XL5 esc is rated for motors up to 15 turn...(more turns means more amps required) so
the 65 turn motor is trying to pull more amps than the ecu can provide.
Even a 35 turn would be to much for that esc.

If you wanted to upgrade the esc I would suggest checking the sticky threads in the electronics section.

There is some great info to be found there..

Hope this was helpfull

P.s I just wanted to add I am new to the rc world if my understanding of motors and esc' s is not correct please let me know

Last edited:
As johnnysplits stated a few posts back it looks like you have the dingo version.

Now as for the motor question I did a bit of research for you.
The XL5 esc is rated for motors up to 15 turn...(more turns means more amps required) so
the 65 turn motor is trying to pull more amps than the ecu can provide.
Even a 35 turn would be to much for that esc.

If you wanted to upgrade the esc I would suggest checking the sticky threads in the electronics section.

There is some great info to be found there..

Hope this was helpfull

P.s I just wanted to add I am new to the rc world if my understanding of motors and esc' s is not correct please let me know
You actually have that backwards. The motor turn rating is the lowest you can go. Higher turn uses less amp draw so that esc should work fine. It will not have a drag brake which is very helpful in a crawler tho. My guess is ur motor is just worn out. A 35t should not bog down in an scx10. Make sure you check everything for binding parts or bad bearings. Also check the pinion/spur mesh. The pinion gear on the motor should have a tiny bit of movement before it moves the spur gear.

Not sure how to rebuild them. How do I tell if the one in mine is bad? Why does the 65T that's in it now bog down, and won't the 35T bog down worse?

I was running a pair of 35T's in my scx10 on 4s and the amp draw never went over 18A if you could believe that!!! I've since installed a more powerful, handwound motor in it. Still on the fence about going brushless. As far as your asking about bogging down, that come from a low turn motor (20T and lower) A 35T is a good starting point. I would also suggest running at least a 3s lipo, preferably a 4s. More volts...more power and efficiency. You will induce less stress on your esc, motor, and battery.

I figures out the rear drive shaft is binding up and its lowered. So I'm not really sure why its binding up. Has a bad angle on the rear drive shaft. The upper links are homemade. I'm thinking he made them too short or something because they are roughly 3 3 quarters long from center of I hole to center of I hole.

i am using SC8 ESC and sc401 3800KV motor,the pinion is 17T,everything is of for now.

Back