• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Help needed, long haired hippes need apply

Popscrawler32

Brand new to the world of rc crawling, I'm looking to mostly play in the 1/10 scale range. What would be a good out of the box go crawling and upgrade as needed? Also any places to go crawling outdoors in the Gainesville FL area. Where a newbie could find the pros and get advice from.

Welcome to the site, and welcome to the addiction.
The big guys are Traxxas, Axial, Element, and Vanquish. In those 4 there really are no bad choices. They all have a few different models and can be built mild to wild. So take a look at the Trx4, Scx10II or scx10 III, or element rigs if you want a base to start with. Vanquish makes upgrade parts for Axial and Traxxas but not element and build their own rigs. If you want a truck that doesn't need much and just works, you are going to pay for it (Vanquish) I own several Axial rigs myself...

I'd stick with Vanquish or Traxxas. They are making the best rigs out there these days.

For a trail rig, consider the Vanquish VS4-10 Fordyce or Phoenix or Traxxas TRX-4. The Fordyce is simpler, but the Phoenix has selectable Dig and overdrive (OD) if you install extra servos. I don't think the selectable dig or OD are necessary. You can also build the VS4-10 Builders Kit Straight axle. Building kits is so much fun, but more of a challenge for newbies since you have to source electronics and other parts to complete it.

The Traxxas TRX-4 can be had in a variety of models or in the Sport. The TRX-4 comes with remote locking diff and 2-speed transmission. These aren't needed, but add a very fun element on the trail and come working out of the box. The Sport is simpler and has a locked diff and has a single speed transmission.

For a more competitive rig, build a Vanquish VRD Carbon or VRD Builders Kit - Straight Axle. The VRD Carbon has so many upgrades that the extra cost is worth it over the VRD Builders Kit. The Carbon also has portal axles instead of the straight axles in the Builders Kit - Straight Axle (hence the name). The portal axles do offer an advantage in rockier conditions and areas with lots of tree roots.

I am sure there are a ton of guys in Florida that would love to help you. Post up another thread here: Florida

Set your budget including batteries and charger (100ish for these items). then find a rig that fits in the budget.
As others stated already. Axial, Traxxas, Vanquish Products, element are the most well known/popular/quality rigs.
RedCats Gen 8 is also a decent rig, at least on par with Element IMHO.

Any of the name brand rigs mentioned have upgrades from various manufacturers for them.
Some low cost things and some high dollar items depending on what/where/how etc.

Find an RTR that you like, 2 speeds are ok, but generally are more of a gimmick with crawlers, but not totally useless, just not one of the go to things we often wish we had if we didn't have it.

Otherwise I think the Axial are most popular, followed by Traxxas and Vanquish then RedCat then Element in terms of units in use/sales,.

In terms of quality, I would say Vanquish, Traxxass, Axial, Element, RedCat. (only look at the Gen 8 or 9 from RedCat).

If you are into Scale side over Performance they all do pretty well. But if you're leaning strictly performance, jump to the Vanquish rigs.

Back