• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Help modifying STL files

Elmo

Quarry Creeper
I am currently prototyping some chassis extension parts for my FWD drag car project and have hit a snag. I need to lengthen the upper and lower chassis pieces (I already have STL files for the parts) from the size that they are currently to a new length that is 38.26% longer. My issue is, using Cura 5.0.0 (the only slicing software I've used) I can only lengthen the entire part which skews the mounting hole locations and ruins the parts fit. Is there a way to add roughly 20mm to the center of the part in Cura (or another free program, I am willing to learn) thus not affecting the mounting hole spacing? Thank you in advance!

You'll have to modify it in a cad program (ex. Fusion 360). All you can do in the slicer is scale the part. Even in Fusion stl files are a pain since it's not a solid. You have to convert the part to a solid. Depending how complicated the part is, it might be easier to just redraw it.

Where did you get the stl?

Redraw in Onshape, an online free tool. Draw your stuff, convert to stl, done. Your drawing is creative commons now though.

Where did you get the stl?

I use Thangs but if I remember correctly the link came from Thingaverse.

I'll try redrawing it once I learn the new software, I tried a program yesterday called Sketch3d (I believe that was the name) and it was a bust so I'm hoping to have better luck with some of the above mentioned programs. Thank you all for the suggestions.

I have Fusion 360 and Autodesk Inventor (it's my job). Send me the file and a mark up of what you want done and I'll give it a go.

CamoColton, it worked perfectly! I will be using the PLA print as a template to cut these out of carbon as they are pretty weak as of right now but the wheelbase is exactly where I need it to be and the front of the chassis extension lines up exactly with the front bumper mount. On to the pics!

Very nice!

Thank you! I made sure to credit you in the YouTube video as well; can't thank you enough for your help. I've got a slab of carbon fiber ready to be cut and hope to have the final version done this weekend.

Back