• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harvesting hand warmers for iron powder for rusted details.

DeoreDX

Pebble Pounder
Anyone tried or heard of this? I've been contemplating weathering a body and have been browsing at the different weathering supplies. I was looking at some of the weathering powders and the iron paint and the thought struck me that hand warmers contain iron powder. Now I'm wondering if the iron powder could be collected and could be made useful for some rust detailing. I have some ideas on how to collect the iron. I'm thinking you could wrap magnet in an inside out plastic baggie. collect iron with the magnet through the baggie. Pull the baggie right side out and set magnet aside. Viola a baggie with some iron powder. Now the question is can the iron powder be made useful in creating rusty details in our RCs? I think I will have to do some experimentation this weekend. Looking for some ideas on how it could possibly be used. One thought is to rust the iron powder and apply directly as rust powder. Another is to apply to a bit of the iron powder to wet paint (like cake sprinkles on icing) and activate the rust with a mild salt/vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution. Just spitballing here. I have a bunch of handwarmers at home so this will be a cheap experiment. If it works well might be a nice $1 alternative to the $12-30 iron paint or weathering powders.

Back