• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hairba11's thing... I mean kubelwagen.

hairba11

RCC Addict
so I managed to pick up the top half of the model kit used by OBH for This phenomenal build
and i've finally gotten around to starting to work on it now that my set of 5 baja wheels from REC have arrived.

start with a pile of kit and a slightly disassembled scorcher
photo-937.jpg

start messing with some of the kit pieces. dash and chair frames.
photo-361.jpg

get a side put together with some fenders and start daydreaming.
photo-256.jpg

get the other side put on and see it finally becoming a little more rigid
photo-990.jpg

mock up a little scorcher under it.
photo-925.jpg

i've left most of the scale details off so far. I'm thinking orange or yellow for the main body color so i don't want too many parts on to get paint on them. not going to do any opening doors since this will be a runner and i'll need the rigidity. next major step will be making a chassis. i can do a pan style, the sides will fold up and slot nicely into the heater channels while locating the stock suspension pieces. I will have to do a little inner fender clearancing for the shocks/shock towers, but the width isn't too far off now. I'll know more about that when i get the conversion to baja wheels and axles done.

started out with cutting out the inner fenders up front to clear the scorcher suspension, and had the front suspension bolted to an old scorcher chassis.
photo-925.jpg

got the rear in the car and figured i'd need about 3/4" extension, so i grabbed another scorcher chassis and bolted the rear to it and lined them up on top of each other, marked and drilled holes in the fiberglass then bolted them together. Yay lazy!
photo-2417.jpg

after bolting i didn't have to hold them together and i finally get a chance to see it standing, or rolling.
photo-911.jpg

now, about that custom floor pan i was supposed to include when i built my chassis.
a little thin sheet steel will do the trick. leftover piece from some duct work.
photo-1059.jpg

and a little cut and bend. some slight boat siding, and some 1/2" flanges to slot inside the heater channel on the model body.
photo-375.jpg

looks damned good on the body.
photo-1025.jpg

inside shot
photo-782.jpg

got the pan and body lined up, drilled through the pan and bolted it to the chassis
photo-1037.jpg

thew the seats in for giggles, looks like i'm going to have to make a sub floor to get the seats the right height. that will work to run r/x wires or power cables forward.
photo-1106.jpg

body off, i had to lose the rear cage. the lower mounts were broken, so i cut it off to leave the piece in the shock mount. the roll bar fits perfect against the top of the model body behind the rear seatback. I also had to remove the upper portion of the front body mount.
photo-2090.jpg

Or white fenders. VW did a lot of those in a "color & white" scheme. Looks good the way it is too. Too many people love to slather on the black. Flat yellow might look nice too.

Anyway, Looks Nice!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

i dunno about white. i know it would work on the top. some other 70's funk would be orange with red and brown racing stripes, but thats not happening either :D

started working on doors.
photo-2325.jpg

the rear skid tucks in almost perfect. i'm actually excited about how well this kit is fitting the scorcher. now if only i could get excited about a 100 degree shop
photo-459.jpg

That looks great! I love it. My Grandmothers neighbor had one of those, he would take the doors off, drop the top, and take all the kids to the beach and put a jet ski in the water. Good stuff.

an update. old projects never die, they just gather dust.
got interior floor finished with firewall. added gas cap and battery, got the steering wheel in and it spins so i can add servo control to it later.

photo-1249.jpg

also got the seat frames painted black, rear seat is glued in, fronts are waiting for me to come up with the center tunnel before i glue them in.
photo-1632.jpg

thanks guys.
Rick, REC=Rogue Element Components a.k.a. toyrannosaur on scale. yes, wheels are aluminum. he did a run of them with custom rear axles to make the track width even front to rear.

well a lot of dust gathered, but in between getting married and moving i got a brief window of worktime in on this project
old projects never die, they just collect dust.
started back in on the k-wagen.
got the beginnings of the convertible top going.
up, and down.

Back