• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

got some new tires. need help with foam and pin setup

J-Fish

Pebble Pounder
Bought some boss claws the other day and then after I had mounted them up on my vp slw's and started cutting pins I saw the new voodoo tires on here. I havnt been able to get on here nearly as much in the past few weeks as usual and hope I didnt make a mistake in ordering the red compound boss claws. I did get to try them out yesterday at panther creek and compare them to my rovers. They definitely climb better on the smooth slick rocks then my rovers but on the more grippy stuff not as good but keep in mind it was my first time using pin tires. All in all i liked them better.

She climbs pretty good but still needs some more tuning in the tire and foams area. The front seems to be too soft when it comes to side hilling.

I am currently using CI Double Deuce foams 5.25" with narrow inner, soft outer in front and medium in the back. My xr10 currently weighs 4 pounds 13 ounces but im in the process of shaving some more weight off her. I have a pair of medium tuning rings im thinking about trying on front but need to order another pair for the rear im guessing.

My shocks are 3.5" big bores with shock cap mod. Mini t springs pink in front and red in back. Shock oil is 10 weight in front and 25 weight in the rear. My ground clearance is
Roughly about 2.75 to 3 inches.

What should I change about my foam tire and shock setup to gain more climbing grip and sidehilling? My front tires dont currently buckle or ripple and pull my rig up and over verticle ledges like some of the pics and videos show on here. Should I cut some pins on my boss claws? Im also thinking of ordering some of the voodoo tires blue compound or silver. Mainly so I can have a few different tires to tune with and for different surfaces.

I'm running the same foam setup in my bcs and it works good for me. Have you shaved the sidewalls yet? It also takes awhile to get the tires broke in so they flex.

How the truck is setup will also effect climbing and side hilling.

You should come out to north shore for practice. Helps to run with other crawlers to see what they're doing.

Also where are those pics of your spot?

Probably try adding the tuning ring up front. The stock foams would be good for the rear. Mine is 4.25 pounds, and I run the same setup as you up front, so since your heavier I think the tuning ring would help. If you have not cut the pins yet, then every other row is a good cut for up front."thumbsup"

Also there is an entire thread on boss claws in the tire section!

I'm running the same foam setup in my bcs and it works good for me. Have you shaved the sidewalls yet? It also takes awhile to get the tires broke in so they flex.

How the truck is setup will also effect climbing and side hilling.

You should come out to north shore for practice. Helps to run with other crawlers to see what they're doing.

Also where are those pics of your spot?

No I have not shaved the tires yet I am in the process of cutting the pins to gain more traction but have no means of shaving the sidewalls on them yet. I plan on coming up to northshore and practicing with u all sometime soon just been sooo busy these past few weekends. whens tue next practice? My wife has had the digital camera for the past few weeks and keeps forgetting to upload all the pics on it to her laptop. I will get on the ball and remember to tell her to do that so I can post all those pics I took of panther creek that day.

Im going to purchase some of the new voodoo tires next week sometime. Havnt decided which compound to order yet but thinking about the blues to start out with.

Oh, well, then.... shaving is the starting point for better action out of the BC's.. IMO... I have tried 3 diff cuts and a pair left for my next cut.. I started with used cut every 3rd row.. worked good.. I did a pair with every other row cut out.. wasn't a fan maybe I didn't give them enough time... ( ittybitty did tell me he ran the every other in the rear but found a not so even cut worked better up front) let me tell you, ittybitty is one smart dude! So I went to work on another members cut I saw that made me want pins.. Bad A$$! Worked right off the bat an gripped like the shizznizzle he said they did! I'm still running that cut an will most likely cut my next set that way.

These tires work ok for smoother rock but I find them to bite hard an stay crawling smooth on the grippy ruff rock..

I'm running the same setup as you, 5.25 CI, soft f/med rear.. I'm only running a 4lb 1oz +- rig. So the tuning ring in the front should be good enough? At least a good place to start..

As for the side lugs, even if ya can't shave them, you can cut them off to start with..

Last edited:
So what cut That you saw on someone else's are u currently using? The one that made you want pins?

Oh, well, then.... shaving is the starting point for better action out of the BC's.. IMO... I have tried 3 diff cuts and a pair left for my next cut.. I started with used cut every 3rd row.. worked good.. I did a pair with every other row cut out.. wasn't a fan maybe I didn't give them enough time... ( ittybitty did tell me he ran the every other in the rear but found a not so even cut worked better up front) let me tell you, ittybitty is one smart dude! So I went to work on another members cut I saw that made me want pins.. Bad A$$! Worked right off the bat an gripped like the shizznizzle he said they did! I'm still running that cut an will most likely cut my next set that way.

These tires work ok for smoother rock but I find them to bite hard an stay crawling smooth on the grippy ruff rock..

I'm running the same setup as you, 5.25 CI, soft f/med rear.. I'm only running a 4lb 1oz +- rig. So the tuning ring in the front should be good enough? At least a good place to start..

As for the side lugs, even if ya can't shave them, you can cut them off to start with..

Oh, well, then.... shaving is the starting point for better action out of the BC's..

I agree on the shaving. It will make a huge difference on how they flex. Also saves a decent amount of weight.

We practice on Thur evenings during the summer to accommodate some of the other locals. We're usually out there by 5pm.

Maybe we can meet you at your crawl spot one day too. We need more comp spots that don't take 2-3 hours to get to lol.

Yea u guys should come out one day for sure. i will post all those pics i took as soon as my wife can remember where she put the cord to transfer the pics from the digital camera to the computer lol. or i can take some pics with my phone and text or send them to you if u want either way. i can promise you its worth you guys coming down and taking a look at. set up ferfectly for a comp and big enough to set up many differently coarses in different spots.

Cut some pins on my boss claws lastnight. cut three of the four tires into a perfect staggered pattern and three courtersvof the way through the last tire i cut the wrong row of pins and messed the pattern up lol. frustrating to say the least. oh well ima order some of those ottsix voodoo tires this week too. i may try them on the front.

Yea u guys should come out one day for sure. i will post all those pics i took as soon as my wife can remember where she put the cord to transfer the pics from the digital camera to the computer lol. or i can take some pics with my phone and text or send them to you if u want either way. i can promise you its worth you guys coming down and taking a look at. set up ferfectly for a comp and big enough to set up many differently coarses in different spots.

Cut some pins on my boss claws lastnight. cut three of the four tires into a perfect staggered pattern and three courtersvof the way through the last tire i cut the wrong row of pins and messed the pattern up lol. frustrating to say the least. oh well ima order some of those ottsix voodoo tires this week too. i may try them on the front.

Waahahahaha.... been there done that!

Let's see some pics!

Waahahahaha.... been there done that!

Let's see some pics!

yea im o c d about stuff luke that i probably wont even want to use that one tire now that i messed up the pattern on it which is stupid lol. will it hurt anything to have a ci tuning ring in the front tires but not the rear? Didnt know if it would make the front sit a little higher then the rear and cause it to lip back easier on steep inclines?

The one I messed up is sitting in a box.. lol... I'm not far off.. it won't get used.. or not with the pattern I wanted it to have.. I started talking to my son an kept cutting. Got moved over a row. :)

I have a diff pattern up front then the back an 3 diff sets of pins. So I'll figure something out with it.. I'm actually ready to get another set..

Everyone runs diff foams front an rear.. it shouldn't hurt anything any.. the cut pattern is the normal way to less traction or more.. its why I run two diff cuts. One front, one rear

Yea i cut a pattern i havnt seen anyone use yet and the rear pattern is different from the front. the front is more random and has a few different patterns as u go around the tire. the rear is just a more simple staggered pattern but different on the outsides of the tires than on the insides. hope they work well

Back