• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Gatekeeper on AR60's

OSRC

I wanna be Dave
Never really warmed to the Element Gatekeeper. My Sendero is a terrific performer....the Gatekeeper? Not so much. I found it floppy and living in the middle of rollover city.

So I sold it....then bought another for some reason....then ditched the cage for the much lighter Ecto shell when it came out. drove it a few times and it was still fairly tippy but worlds better then it was with that cage up top. In the suburbs of Rollover City now I guess and living under the name EctoKeeper.

Driving impressions from the last time out: Drive Them All! A Year Long Project

As is stands.... or stood. Really good looking truck, just wasn't doing anything for me.
20240929-164220-SM.jpg

20240929-164226-SM.jpg

I ripped up another truck to steal the chassis from it, and it had some pretty nice AR60's on it. Hmm...the cutouts are pretty big on the chassis and it is a bit tippy... wider axles? Sure, why not?

Took a little finagling to get it all in there, but I made it work. Swapped over to a standard SCX 3-gear as it's a bit smaller. It's a Kung Fu trans with outputs rotating in opposite directions. Doesn't seem to make a difference to me, but it had a center rear output which worked out nice. Driveshafts are super tight, but *just* clear all around.
20241001-193154-SM.jpg

Rear was a drop in. The axles were set up for 4WS originally, I converted back to a standard axle. Nothing fancy, just UD gears and brass inserts.
20241001-193203-SM.jpg

The front was a little more tricky. Removed the CMS and mount for the SOA to clear and it just fits.
20241001-193218-SM.jpg

I had to tinker with the steering links a bit to get it all to clear, but it does nicely. Front axle has brass knuckles, inserts, and OD gears.
20241001-193223-SM.jpg

Bolt on some 2.2's and we got a roller! I like it. A lot. Can't tuck the wheels in any further, but it doesn't look too bad right where they are.
20241001-193244-SM.jpg

20241001-193258-SM.jpg

Just need to sort out some electronics and it's off for a test drive.

Back