• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

front diff locker not engaging (SOLVED)

CRAZYACE63

Rock Crawler
I have built the kit version of the TRX4 and can't for the life of me get the front diff to lock. I have made sure the arm in the axle housing isn't gunked up or binding. I believe the cable is coming unhooked from the arm. I have pulled the diff cover off and reinstalled the cable a couple times and it will not stay hooked up. Anyone have this problem with either of their diffs? Rear locks up great and the two speed shifts fine. I think I have narrowed it down to the cable. TIA for any help you guys can think of.

Re: front diff locker not engaging

Is the c-clip in place on the outside? If not, the cable/housing can move too far and become un-attached.

Is the c-clip in place on the outside? If not, the cable/housing can move too far and become un-attached.

Yes it is. I had to get another one because I lost the one that came with it. I have it installed and the cable keeps coming loose from the arm in the diff housing.

Did you ensure that the locking fork is firmly clipped in? Make sure you hear it "clip". The assembly can still go together with the cover and the fork being loose.

As for the cable disconnecting in the axle, you might try twisting the cable a bit in the ball end. That might help keep it "hooked" into the locking fork. Just a thot. :)

8) jim

If the T-lock cable is oriented correctly there is no way it can come loose. Go back and recheck pg18 of your assembly manual and verify the hook on your cable is properly oriented exactly as described in section D2. I would add that in section G7 of the assembly manual it does not specifically say to orient the ball socket on the threaded end of the T-lock cable so it does not twist the cable but is naturally level with the ball. Worst case take some pics of your assembly so we can actually see what you have going on.

Last edited:

As for the cable disconnecting in the axle, you might try twisting the cable a bit in the ball end. That might help keep it "hooked" into the locking fork. Just a thot. :)

8) jim

If the T-lock cable is oriented correctly there is no way it can come loose. Go back and recheck pg18 of your assembly manual and verify the hook on your cable is properly oriented exactly as described in section D2. I would add that in section G7 of the assembly manual it does not specifically say to orient the ball socket on the threaded end of the T-lock cable so it does not twist the cable but is naturally level with the ball. Worst case take some pics of your assembly so we can actually see what you have going on.

I will take these tips and see what I messed up. Thanks guys. May It may be the ball end twisting it. If I still can't figure it out I will definitely take some pics and post them up for visual sake.

Thanks for all the help. I took the whole front axle apart and reinstalled everything. I found that the cable was binding a bit and didn't get lined up so it was only putting the tip into the arm. It didn't actually twist underneath the arm like the picture. Got it all sorted and works on the stand like it should. Will do some testing while driving and make sure it actually stays working.

Again thank you all for the help and guidance. Now to get a few parts in so it can look like a real truck and not just a chassis.

Thanks for all the help. I took the whole front axle apart and reinstalled everything. I found that the cable was binding a bit and didn't get lined up so it was only putting the tip into the arm. It didn't actually twist underneath the arm like the picture. Got it all sorted and works on the stand like it should. Will do some testing while driving and make sure it actually stays working.

Again thank you all for the help and guidance. Now to get a few parts in so it can look like a real truck and not just a chassis.

Glad you got it working!

Back