• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Flat black textured paint for Lexan?

MarkThomas

Pebble Pounder
Went to do up a new K5 Blazer body today...was doing an orange body with a white top. After I got everything masked (or so I thought), I blasted away with the orange. OOPS! Forgot to mask the top off for the Pearl White second layer...doh!

So, instead of making a huge mess and trying to remove the orange, I just finished the truck (did silver front bumper and backing, followed by a black backing) in all orange.

I kind of wanted a black top anyway, so curious what I could use for a flat textured black to use on the outside of the Lexan? I know some guys use bedliner for an outer finish, but I am curious if a rattle can of plastic paint from Home Depot will work, or will I run the risk of eating through the Lexan?

Thanks!

I picked this up the other day.
2012-08-04_19-49-44_710.jpg

Once it cures it is pretty tuff.
Here is the texture.
2012-08-04_19-49-36_587.jpg

Looks like exactly what I'd like...would look like an old vinyl roof, too.

Have you tried it on Lexan? How heavy does it get?

I've used rustoleum and Krylon Satin black on several scale projects and it seems to have a sale correct porous appearance. Hopefully I can find a pic or two to post shortly.

After a few months of wear
2012-07-08_19-52-43_518.jpg

Fresh paint
2012-05-20_09-17-46_542.jpg

2012-04-09_13-16-01_536.jpg

Prep work is the key. If you're looking to texture but keep the look spray any number of plastic compatible texture paints and finish with this. Both are satin black Rustoleum sprayed after surface cleaning and light scuffing with green pad. Here is Krylon Ultra Flat Fusion
2012-06-13_09-20-29_112.jpg

2012-06-13_09-20-37_625.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the flat black look. I used the krylon with good results. After awhile it shows the body scrapes and looks great.

Back