• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

First Kit Build - "Black Widow"

ajsmcs

Quarry Creeper
Despite being in the hobby for 16+ years and owning 5 other cars, this was my first go at building a kit, and my first ever attempt at painting a body. It's far from perfect, but on the whole I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. :mrgreen:

IMG_98653_zpsktjjhifp.png

IMG_9839_zpse7qnmog1.jpg

Spektrum DX4S Tx/ 4ch Rx
Hobbywing ESC
Traxxas Stinger 20T brushed motor (16 years old...)
Castle BEC
Hitec HS5646WP servo
Luminier 2250mAh 3S battery (out of one of my planes.)
Everything else is stock for the time being.

It's such a pleasure to drive, and makes for a very nice change of pace from my collection of go-fast cars. I love how realistic it looks. Even with stock parts and a motor that's not the greatest, it still drives fantastically. I'm really loving this truck. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Paint job/scheme is looking really good. How did you like you're first kit build?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thank you. :mrgreen: I really enjoyed doing all of the mechanical assembly. I have a really nice industrial-grade set of ball drivers, but I really wish I had had something with a flat end and a larger handle. It's way too difficult to get the initial screw tap going with a balldriver. Once it's been tapped, it's not too bad. I found it was much easier if I gently chamfered the shoulder of the hole before inserting the screws. Next time I'll have the right tool.

I spent way too much time stressing out over the paint scheme. I had literally 23 different revisions in MS paint. I ended up printing out full-size prints of the design, and transferring it onto masking tape that I had laid out on wax paper. It worked...well enough.

I did not enjoy the window decals. When they go on right they look great, but its so easy to screw them up. One tore while I was trying to reposition it... :x

Makes me want to build another one...heh...heh...

My wife would murder me for even thinking about it...:ror:

I have a bunch of these little 3W Cree LEDs and a controller my brother designed for his quadcopter. Each one is ~150 to 200 lumens off of 3.7V. And I have 5 of them. :mrgreen:

I'm going to rig up two under the front "engine compartment" as rock lights, and three more on the roof rack as driving lights. I'm working on trying to find some scale aluminum can housings to fit them. Plastic wouldn't work because the can would be replacing the aluminum-backed PCB backing (which is too big and would look goofy) as its heat sink.

Lots of fun with the truck over the weekend.

First off - I had my first go at a winch. :D Its my attempt at a shameless copy of the KMS K3. I really like the way they look, but I can't personally justify that kind of money on a winch. I have more fun making things than buying them anyway.

Anyway...its built from a 14 year old Traxxas 2055. It has plastic gears and is rather under-powered, but I wanted to experiment on something expendable before I spend money on something nicer. (I'm thinking either the TowerPro MG996R or MG946R, leaning toward the former.) It was all fairly quick and dirty, and the final version will end up much nicer.
I screwed a long bolt into the underside of the final drive gear, and tied/superglued the cable onto it. Obviously its only being supported at one end, which is not ideal. I'll get a longer bolt and some bearings for the final version.

Rather than control it with the servo circuit, I ripped out all of the guts, and soldered a connector directly to the motor. I have a pair of these XYS-BL20A brushed ESCs that I bought off eBay for $14 each. I've been using one in my Trail Trekker for the past year, and its flawless, and can run off 7.4V lipo. The ESC powers the servo motor directly.

I use 3S batteries, and I've got the Castle BEC powering my Rx at 7.4V. So instead of connecting the ESC to my battery, I removed the ESCs internal BEC wire from the servo connector and put the battery connector wire in its place. The end result is that the ESC is taking 7.4V directly from the Rx rather than a battery. <-- UPDATE: DO NOT DO THIS!!! That BEC is only rated for 10A, and the ESC pulls 20A. This is why you should always verify the current rate of ALL devices in the chain. :roll:

Instead, I have the winch controller ESC being powered by a separate micro 2S battery. I'm trying to come up with a better solution. Even the Castle "Pro" BEC tops out at 20A peak, and to my knowledge that ESC is 20A continuous.

I have it set up to a 2 position momentary button on my DX4S. Press it one way, it gives full power in that direction, and vice versa.

For the rope I used old yoyo string. It's pretty random, I know, but turns out its ideal as winch line. It has a small enough diameter that you can fit a lot on a spool, its extremely strong, and it doesn't tangle that easily.

For the hook I used steel landing gear wire. Its very hard to bend, and I don't anticipate it failing.

Result:
I'm really impressed by the way it performs. Its not strong enough to winch a truck straight up into the air, but it is definitely usable. The current spool is super ghetto, and that's going to be the toughest part to make. I really like the ESC as winch controller, and for only $14 (and being 7.4V capable), I can't imagine a better option."thumbsup"

Last edited:
Another servo option for the winch is the Solar D772. At 7.4V, it has 417oz/in of torque. $22 from HobbyPartz.
Holy crap...too late, though. I've got an MG996R on the way from Hobbyking. "thumbsup"

Once I finish the final winch, I'm going to start working on the lighting. I'm also looking to find some nice interior/wheel well pieces. Any recommendations?

Very interesting, especially the winch. Is there a detailed 'how to' floating around the interwebs or this site anywhere?

Very interesting, especially the winch. Is there a detailed 'how to' floating around the interwebs or this site anywhere?

There are many routes. How handy are you?

First thing is to take apart your servo. The final drive gear will have some sort of pin on it that restricts it from rotating past a certain point. Remove that pin.
That will let your gears rotate completely.
Next is the electronics. Either do what I did, and ditch the servo internals and solder an ESC to the motor; OR you can keep the internals, remove the potentiometer and replace it with resistors. That you'll need to look elsewhere for instruction.
For the spool: the easiest way is to just screw a sewing thread spool onto the output shaft and call it a day. A less easy (but IMO sexier) method is to machine out the case and do an internal spool.
It's up to you. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want.

So over the holiday I managed to finish my Servo Winch 2.0. I started with a TowerPro MG996R, which only cost $11 (click here). You will also need M3 threaded rod (minimum of 45mm. I used this one), 2x M3 nylock nuts, several small M3 washers, a bearing, an aluminum spacer (I used this one), two small round servo horns, and some decent epoxy. (I used Loctite 5min epoxy)
It's being powered by an XYS-BL20A micro brushed 2S 20A ESC ($14 on eBay. Make sure to get the one WITHOUT a brake)

Step 1: Remove the four bottom screws, remove the bottom cover, and pull out the control board.

Step 2: Remove the wires going to the back of the motor. The little red dot marks the + connection. This will be where you attach the wires going to your winch controller.
You'll note a single screw at the bottom of the cavity previously covered by the control board. This connects to the potentiometer. Remove that screw and the potentiometer.

Step 3: Remove the top cover (taking note of the order of the gearing, and remove the final drive gear. Underneath, where the potentiometer had been connected, you will see a translucent plastic insert. You have two options here. 1) Remove the insert or 2) Drill it out. I couldn't find a way to remove it in one piece, so I went with Option 2. Don't worry about removing all of the plastic. Remove just enough that you can fit your threaded rod through. (Be careful not to drill out the threads in the metal) [This photo shows the drive gear sitting in the top cover]

Step 4: Cut a slot in the front of your housing for your line to pass through. IMHO I cut mine a little too wide.

Step 5: Cut a hole in the bottom cover. This should be just wide enough to fit your bearing of choice. (I used a spare one from my T-Maxx/Rustler. These need a spacer to fit snugly on the M3 rod)

Step 6: The small circular servo horns were too wide for the servo housing, so I had to shrink them. The easiest way of doing is to attach them to a Dremel cut-off mandrel, and run it against a file or a piece of sandpaper until you get it down to the right size.

Step 7: With your servo gears and top cover attached to the housing, thread your rod into the final drive gear from the inside. Continue to thread until you have a long enough section sticking out of the top that you can fit a nylock nut.

Step 8: Slide the following onto your threaded rod in this order: washer, servo horn, aluminum spacer, servo horn, washer, bearing, washer, nylock nut. Don't crank it down; you don't want any pressure on the servo housing. With all that installed, cut off the excess rod, then remove the assembled spool from the servo. Mark the position of each servo horn on the rod, then remove everything from the threaded rod.

Step 9: Place epoxy between the two lines you had previously marked on your threaded rod. Slide the aluminum spacer back onto the rod, with one servo horn on either side centered between the lines. Place epoxy between the mating faces of the spacer and the horns. Hold for a minute, then sit it down and walk away. Wait until it cures before doing anything else. When you're done it should look like this:

Step 10: Drill a small hole through your aluminum spacer. This will be where you attach your winch line.

Step 11: Reassemble the spool assembly. The short section should go washer-bearing-washer-nut. A single washer goes onto the other end.

Step 12: Thread your assembly back into the final drive gear. (I put a touch of blue Loctite into the threads at top of the gear.) Tighten until the washer just barely contacts the servo housing. Put the nut onto the other end.

Step 13: Tie your winch line through the hole, and wind it up.

Step 14: Reinstall the bottom cover, and you're finished.

Results: This winch rocks! Its easily strong enough to pull the truck straight into the air without stalling. (although - to be fair - it does struggle just a little bit when doing that.) The epoxy has held up great, and I have to break my winch line. "thumbsup"

Total cost was ~$30
Servo - $11
ESC - $14
Hardware - $3

Notes:
The hole for the bottom cover was slightly off center, so I had to enlarge it to fix that. I put some epoxy to shrink the hole closer to the bearing diameter. I then put a small length of heat shrink tubing around the outside of the bearing to give it a snug fit.

My winch line is old yoyo string. It is strong enough to do what it needs to do, but I'd like to find something with a smaller diameter so I can fit more on the spool.

I used an 8mm wide spacer so it would wind slightly more quickly at the expense of a small amount of torque and a smaller line length capacity. You could easily substitute a 6mm if desired.

I haven't worked out all the bugs with my controller system, chief of which is the fact that the 20A micro ESC I'm using is limited to 7.4V, and I used 3S batteries. For the time being I'm running the winch off of its own 180mAh 2S lipo, which I velcro to the side of the servo housing.

Next up: Get a nice scale winch hook and some tow hooks for my bumpers, plus a dirt anchor.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for that.

I've found multiple how-to's describing how to do this by mounting a spool on the output shaft. I do like the internal spool design a whole lot more.

Nice, thanks for that.

I've found multiple how-to's describing how to do this by mounting a spool on the output shaft. I do like the internal spool design a whole lot more.

Me too. An external spool is basically a cantilever, and that puts all kinds of non-rotational stresses on your gear train. Supporting it at the other end totally alleviates all of that. "thumbsup"

Christmas came early this year. :D What a beautifully made set of electronics. Everything about it just screams "quality."

I really like the layout and arrangement of the wires on the ESC. At some point I'm going to shorten up the motor wires to cut down on the amount of clutter. The sensor wire is a bit long for my taste, as well, but unfortunately I have no way of shortening it.

That all being said...I got it installed last night and played around with it a little bit. Unfortunately, the temperature dropped 20 degrees between Wednesday and last night, and by the time I had it ready it was too dark, windy, and cold to take it outside.

But from messing around with it in my living room, I'm really impressed with the amount of power it has. It will easily wheelie if you try to make it. I like that the default settings give it a strong brake when going in reverse but let it coast a little going forward. Cuts down on accidentally front flips. :D

I'm still getting a feel for the long-end control. I've never used a sensored brushless motor before, so I really have no standard of comparison. It's infinitely better at going slow than the Sidewinder combo in my Rustler, but I still noticed a hint of cogging at the slowest speeds. Is that normal?

I'm hoping to get out at some point today to really try it out.

Side Note: Does anyone else have a major hankering for one of the new Yeti Jrs? I love smaller-scale RCs, and $180 for a totally complete 1/18 axial mini rock racer just sounds waaaaaaaay too tempting. I worry about this being a "limited release" that spare parts will be hard to come by, though...

Last edited:
Back